X-Fi Crackle

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Lord Bunky, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hey all, does anyone know why the new X-Fi cards crackle in Vista 64bit? When i use the creative drivers, the card crackles like made, but using Vista Hi-Def drivers the thing is smooth as silk.

It sounds like the card is clipping really bad with creative drivers, but with Vista drivers the volume is slightly lower which then takes the crackling/clipping away.

Can the creative drivers be altered like the Vista ones in volume levels?

Changing windows volume does nothing. Needs to be the wave volume thats changed. But for the life of me i cant seem to find it. :rolleyes: Where is it??? lol

Any advice? cheers!!!

2. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    That crackle issue you have is one reason i got the prelude as i do not get that now (but only got crackle when running bf2/bf2142 XFI ULTRA mode), also you can search that problem on the creative site:mad: it is all down to the pci express bus (creative blams Nvidia MB's and nforce 4 old news) you can manual set this in bios to 100mhz (standard graphics card speed).. or even swapping the slots then reinstall drivers .. (latest) this can help allot , and set your volume to about 80% because at 100% the card wants more volts this can cause it to .

and if you overclock this does not help the snap,crackle and pop..

the voulme in vista on bottom right you will see a speaker right click it or go to start , control panel , hardware and sound , then sound :smashin:

also do you have an asus MB ? if so switch the PEG off:thumbsup:

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Yep - theres a 100+ page thread on the creative forums.

Its not a Nvidia Nforce issue. I have had the same Xfi Platinum card in both an Nforce board and an Intel and it crackles. Pile of crap to be honest made worse by the fact that Creative blame everyone else.

4. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332

your not wrong there and going around in circles on the forum, i RMAed 2 cards back to them the 2nd time they sent a extrememusic back and told me it was an upgrade:suicide: they also changed all the serial numbers on newer versions, the old xfi fatality serial is the exrememusic:mad: :thumbsdow

sorted the crackle/pop bull on the intel board but then i had serious mic issues (dropping out), so i sold the card and got a prelude (same chip) but better PCB and components , never had the crack/pop bull since:)

5. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Yeah im running it on an Asus 790i Ultra Striker 2 extreme board. But why when i use windows vista's own hi-def drivers, the soundcard is perfect?

Im not OC'ing yet. System is fast enough at the moment, but im sure the time will come when i do up the CPU speeds.

Another quick question. I have the card in PCIe x1 slot, would the x16 slot be better, even tho its still only using the x1 area of the PCIe slot?

My windows sounds are on 67.
    Cheers

6. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Sorry but i dont believe creative at all. Ive tried different OS' today and it still crackles. It never crackles or pops when not using their own drivers. The windows drivers are perfect everytime.

Get on the ball creative. Sort your useless programmers out.

Will just use microsofts own HD sound drivers. Sounded warmer anyway.

I cant fit an Asus Xonar PCIe in mine, as the thing is too long and will hit the DDR3 ram holdings (great engineering there Asus). I dont want to use PCIe x16 slot either, as it would stop me going tri-SLI. So also a no to the PCI version of any card.

Looks like im stuck with the little git.

7. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    If it does it all the time you may need to rma the card, also Pci-e 16x is for graphics, instead of using the pci-E x1 version just get the standard pci version..

8. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I tried the soundcard in the middle x16 PCIe slot, it still works, just uses the first section of the slot. Still crackles with creative drivers.

Will just have to stick to windows drivers, though im missing out on some cool options.