x-ecuter,dvd and progressive?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Sly, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    i have just installed a x-ecuter chip for my xbox and have been told you can get progressive scan.how do you do this?can you do it for U.S. games and dvd's?what else does the chip do?would'nt mind some emu software.....

2. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  3. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    cant find any prog scan info.......anyware else 2 try?

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    If you want prog scan you need a "high-definition av pack" for an NTSC xbox (it will work fine on a UK xbox). You can get one from www.mx2.org (amongst others).

When you plug this into your xbox you can goto the video options menu on the main xbox dashboard, where it asks you about PAL60 it has a hidden option to say if your tv supports 480p. If you say yes then any uk game that supports prog scan NTSC (like halo for example) will output 480p.

You can get a program called dvdx2 which can play R1 dvds in NTSC progressive, and also R2 dvds in NTSC progressive. To do this you also need a copy of the "video mode select" program, this allows you to change between NTSC mode and PAL. I leave mine in NTSC mode all the time.

One last thing, when your xbox is set to ntsc mode the options added by using a hi-def av pack become more obvious and allow you to chose if your tv supports 720p and 1080i.

HTH
    Owain

5. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    thanks m8,
    i have downloaded the software but can't find any further info on what to do with it!
    any chance you could give me some noobie step by step instructions as some site say it can go pear shaped!
    ta.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    The simple solution is to get a high def AV pack from mx2, if you have one of these then you can turn prog scan on in the video menu on the main xb dashboard (the thing that comes up if you don't have a game in the xb when you turn it on). This is only a partial solution though as a lot of PAL games don't support prog scan. If you want to go a bit further and start using some of the other things that the x-ecuter chip allows you to do, then you are going to have to get some files onto the xb hard drive.

There are two main ways of doing this:

1. By burning the files you need onto an xbox compatible cdrw/dvdr and using a program called boxplorer to transfer them across.

2. By installing evolutionx (evox) onto your xbox hard drive and connecting it to your pc with a network cable.

Option 2 is by far the easiest and most flexible once it's up and running, but does require you to have a network card on your pc (cost about £9) and enough cable to get from the pc to the xb.

Let me know which you'll be going for and how much experience you have of these sorts of things and we'll go onto step two.

Owain

7. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    number 2 would be a serious pain as my xbox is upstairs in HC room (for 5.1 , big screen) and my pc is downstairs.
    so could you give me more info on the first option , i do have a dvd remote but have not put it in yet as i hear it sets the region.
    i wait with baited breath.................