Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

X Box2 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by AML, Jul 25, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    They are both coming. When? Not sure, but soon.

Nintendo also announced something. but thats even further away!

I own all 3 current systems, X Box, PS2 and GC but find it hard to spend time with all of them!
    Dont get me wrong I love all of them but i find myself playing more and more on the PC. I guess having too much choice can be a bad thing too.

Not to mention how hard it is on the wallet.

Any hardcore gamer will buy all 3 systems and all the best games, but for me its geting too much and i may limit myself to 1 or 2 systems this time arround. After all, most games come out on all platforms these days anyway!

So which one or how many will you be buying?

Ill probably go for the most technologically advanced system that offers the best publishers with the best games!

With the current generation I favour the X Box over the rest. Why? simple, Microsft actualy thought about what people wanted so they gave us High Definition games, and 5.1 dolby digital for every game. A built in BB modem and a HDD!
    did sony or nintendo do that?

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +982
    Impossible to say seeing as they are both pretty much vapourware at the moment. I think the fact that you use your PC pretty much says it all. Its by far the most dynamic platform for games as its upgradeable (but expensive)
    by the time any console comes out PC hardware has comfortably surpassed it.
    I doubt for all the hype either the Xbox3 or PS3 are going to be much better than a Radeon800XT or Geforce6800 and if they are by the time they do what will be available then?

I like my ps2 but to be honest im hardly playing it (waiting for GT4 online and pro evo online (probably PC first for pro evo).

The trouble is by the time they have finalised the spec of a console it takes some time to bring it out , in that time technology moves on so its pretty much dated when it comes out!!

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    True, True. This wasnt so in the past. In the days of the SNES and Megadrive
    (donload the emulators and roms if u want some nostaligia) No links to ROM sites please, Sinzer

those consoles seemed better than any PC format coz it was so much easyer to run games on. But now, PCs are fast becoming the platform of choice.
    After all dont game makers make their games on the PC then downgrade them to fit the consoles specs?

Having said that, microsoft want to use XNA to make PCs more like consoles! at the end of the day, the PC will always be ahead of the console, technology wise, but there is something to be said for the console experience!

4. dgordon

dgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gotta say that bith systems are cool however Son'y only real advantage is its user base and marketing power (PS2 is a damn strong brand). I personally got rid of my PS2 for an XBox and don;t regret the situation. The XBox integrates far better in terms of networking and AV so for that alone it scores for me.

I am keen on the Next XBox more than the PS3 (waiting for Sony to change my mind though!) simply becuase I believe the XBox brand is now strong enough that you will see very few games coming out for the PS3 that don't also get release on the XBox (Sony studio titles mainly which unfortunately does include GT3/4/5 sob!).

I bet the fact that Doom 3, Far Cry and possible Half Life 2 are all heading to XBox but not the PS2 has rattled a few cages.

Dave

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Far too early to consider this. Neither company has provided and FINAL stats of their machine or any true demo's of what they will actually be able to produce.

My days of owning all the consoles has gone as the vast majority of games are multiplatform now, where as in the days of Sega & Nintendo there were far more exclusive titles, mainly from Sega & Ninty themselves. When the same named games did appear on say the Megadrive & SNES they were often very different games as well. A PS2 version of a game is virtually the same as an X-Box version of a game with the only difference usually being slightly better graphics on the X-Box version. Now out of the 1185 games on PS2 only 86 are exclusive and out of the 627 games on X-Box only 68 are exclusive. OK some of the exclusive games on the console you don't own may be good but there is only 24 hours in a day!

Basically i'll buy just one of them and probably stick with whoever is the market leader, which may entail a trade in if I buy the wrong one. This time I bought a PS2 and it's still number 1 and has the best and most extensive games library IMO. I therefore still own a PS2. I've considered having the front window removed so that I could get an X-Box in the house but the games catalogue hasn't warranted it so far :devil: . Many of the top XB games are available on the PC in higher resolution (KOTOR and HALO to name 2) so I find a PS2 & PC combo the way to go for me.

Regarding the next generation.....only time will tell!

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,946
    Bit early to choose surely?

But like this generation its all about the games, therefore i'll get the platform which has the games i want to play. Specs mean nothing to me, as long as there's suitable power to create the various engines, if the catalogue of games isnt appealing why bother? Yes this is all down to your own preferance and tastes, so just go with that and enjoy it for what its worth.

Mostly likely i'll get a PS3. I import Japanese games which never get released over here, and the more American-centric games of the Xbox dont have quite the same appeal over the Japanese-centric oddities from the East. But who knows...

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me that you usually get the best product from the company behind the market leader. They are the ones with something to prove and aren't afraid to take a few chances. That's why I believe the XBox turned out to be a better buy than the PS2.

I fully believe that the next round will be roughly the same. Once Microsoft reaches Sony in market share, however, then we'll see a better product from Sony. That's just my prediction.

As for Nintendo? I have no idea what they are doing. (do they?)

But, I won't be buying any system without some research. No matter how great I think my XBox is, they start from scratch with me. No brand loyalty here, nossir. :devil:

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I must say, I haven't found that Azrikam. The PS2 has been the market leader this time and personally I think it's been one of the best consoles yet in terms of games catalogue. I'd say it's deffinately won hands down in terms of games, this time out.

- More choice (around double the games released on it in the west compared to it's nearest rival)

- Big in Japan - whilst the X-Box has made little impression in the east, the PS2 has a huge catalogue of great games exclusive to the far east.

- The most exclusive titles - Sony has secured some great franchises that either appear first on PS2 or exclusively GT, GTA, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Final Fantasy, PES (for 3 games), Onimusha, Wipeout etc.

The thing is, it's not Sony or M$ that are taking the "chances" when it comes to releasing games. Most of the games released are 3rd party and whilst the XB has some good exclusive games (halo, pgr2 etc), i'd say it was more Nintendo that came up with the more crazy and original ideas (pimkin, SMB etc).

M$ joining the console war has been a superb thing as they are providing a much needed challenge to Sony, where Nintendo are sadly not. The closer the battle gets, in terms of sales, the better as this will only push each company on harder to generate better consoles and innovations in the future!

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allow me to clarify. When I said "best buy", I meant the best value for money for me, and nobody else. :) Obviously, game preference is down to the individual gamer, but I haven't been this happy with the purchase of a console since my original NES.

I've got about 15 games for the XBox. Even if I had unlimited disposable income, I wouldn't own many more because I'd just never get the time to play them. The ones I own, I'm very impressed with. If the XBox only had these 15 games available to purchase, I'd still be happy. Other people might not be, but I would.

Luckily, none of the exclusive PS2 titles interest me. Also, I rarely buy games first when they come out, so by the time I get around to purchasing a game, it's no longer exclusive. (for example, GTA on XBox)

I think you're right about Nintendo innovating. I don't think their problems with the Gamecube are down to the system or game designers. I think their marketing really let them down, much like Sega's did during the time of the Dreamcast. (anyone remember the brilliant strategy of not showing any in-game footage for the most powerful console on the market?)

Interestingly enough, it seems like a lot of so-called "middle of the road" gamers own either a PS2/Gamecube or XBox/Gamecube combination. With Sony and MS set to go head to head in the next round, Nintendo could really play the spoiler by aiming their system as the more affordable, more portable second console purchase.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm the same. i rarely buy a game when everyone first raves about it. I'll wait a few weeks until it starts to come around second hand then pick it up cheap. If I'm not hooked I flog it on.

Halo, GRIT, PGR2 and Toca 2 have probably accounted for 95% of my Xbox usage and I'll play them to death. Other games have fallen by the wayside. I have a Ps2 primarily to play TR on (my wife that is) but apart from that it sits idle and I can't really see a game I would like to buy for it right now. GT3 is just poor compared to Toca or PGR2 and anyone who calls it a driving simulator must be smoking something (either that or they are too young to drive).

The next round will be all about what else the box can do. The Xbox has a huge advantage over the PS2 with the 5.1, high def output, superb Live setup and also the ability to chip it to make it a media centre/ divx player etc. etc.

I'm not an MS fan or Sony in particular and I'm guessing my Xbox will last me a couple years yet as I usually buy a console after the third price hack. When that happens (2007?) I'll probably weigh it up then.

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    But 75% of this choice of games are complete toss.

To the average man on the street(i.e. ME) this means nothing. I don't want a train simulator game, or work in a sushi bar game or some other such nonsense.

As said by others, i am going to wait this time round to see what AAA titles are available for each system and make my choice from that. but i won't be buying a PS3 unless they change that antique controller.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Actually, in many cases I have been the same and to be honest i've been a bit guilty of not giving some games a chance. The most recent examply is FFX! Came out ages ago and I never bothered with it, even though it got great reviews.

Just picked it up cheap now and it's one of the best games i've played - completely hooked! I disagree with the GT3 comment as even though you are comparing games released 2-3 years apart GT3 still stands up very well against recent racers like PGR2 & Toca2. The feel of the cars in PGR2 is very samey and the way you bounce & spin of opposition cars is poor. I like PGR2 though it's a good game, but I also find GT3 & GT Prologue very rewarding games - especially 50 lap races with a a mate! A fairer comparison however would be to see how GT4 compares when it's released.

Although we compare the PS2 and X-Box head to head, we shouldn't really. Considering there was almsot a year and a half between launch dates it is hardly fair to directly compare the technology. Would you compare a high end PC launched in 2000 to one launched in 2002??

PS2 launched in Europe - 24/11/2000
    X-Box launched in Europe - 14/03/2002

Sony did the right thing in getting it's machine out early as it captured the market and M$ have not really made much inroads into that market. The next wave of consoles will probably appear closer together and will be technologically on the same level.

Add a console that can compete technologically to Sony's huge brand following & games support and I think M$ and any other competetors will have a hard time indeed. For the purpose of competition (I hate to see 1 company dominate a market) I hope M$ can take the fight to Sony, but unfortunately, I can't see it.

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completely forgot about that! I didn't realize how much I disliked the PS controller was until I got a Dreamcast. (and since, an XBox) Some people may prefer it, but it just grinds into my fingers and isn't comfortable in my hands. I know, 3rd party controllers make this a pretty petty point, but I certainly hope they change the controllers this time around. The PS3 also needs a few analogue buttons. I know the PS2 controller buttons are supposed to be analogue, but if you can get more than 2 distinct levels out of them, then you've got the hands of a surgeon. ;)

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Rubbish, the PS2 has a fantastic games catalogue and the X-Box has just as many duffers as the PS2. The PS2 provides more quality choice than any other console - this doesn't mean that you need to buy every game - just that the choice is there.

I'm refering to some of the best games on a console such as the Sega 2500 3D ages series, Metal Slug 3 & 4, some superb tactics & RPG games and some of the best shoot em ups around like Gungrave (3d Shooter) & Psyvariar! You obviously have a low opinion of Jap gaming if you think they churn out Sushi bar games :laugh:

Again the PS2 controller has been around for 4 years now and IMO is still a great controller. Why change something that isn't broken - you may end up doing an X-Box and then have to produce another controller 6 months later to replace a poor first effort.

15. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not slagging the PS2, I have one. I was just being honest about my own gaming habits. We'll have to agree to disagree about GT3. There are some poor points to PGR2 but the handling is first rate if you ask me. I've driven Formula cars and I've driven many very fast cars in real life on road and track so I feel I know what I'm on about. The throttle control on GT3 is just not right to me. As I said, we'll agree to disagree. I've still spent time on it and it's a good game.

No, it's not fair to do a direct comparison and I wasn't really saying the PS2 was a bad product, just that the market had moved on and it was now looking a little obsolete.

I'll look at Xbox2 and PS3 with an open mind and see which suits me best. I might check out FFX as well. See if I can get a bit of use out of the PS2.

By the way, I HATE the PS2 controller, it's way too small and very uncomfortable. But, that's because I have big hands. I like the original Xbox controller best of all, the S is too small as well. I guess we're all different.

16. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Actually the PS2 DualShock2 is the best and most intuitive of all the contollers, and the original Xbox controller was jst too big and illogical to me with an unsymmetrical button layout. I think the S-contoller is improved though.

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I think it is fair to say that the majority of Western gamers really aren't attracted to these titles. Personally, they are almost my favourite genres combined with FPS.

I will not be buying a new console straight away, I am happy with my current GC/PS2 combo and I would rather wait for prices to come down. Unless there are really some killer apps at launch.

I must admit that if the Next Box offers the same amount of customisation as the current X-Box then I will be tempted to buy it, the ability to sit and play Emu's on my TV really appeals (shame none of the games really do :( )

PS. The gamecube controller really is the best controller ever made :) the only time it is let down is by beat-em-ups.

18. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Have to agree here, the PS2 range of games is the key and something Xbox is lacking IMO - my friends who have xboxes all seem to end up with the same games i.e Halo, Project Gothom Racing etc and i end up bored to death of it. With the PS2 there is a good selection of everything and good exclusives, just take Grand Theft Auto: San Adreas coming out in a couple of months and Formula One 2004 in a few days. Not saying the Xbox is a bad machine, jst would never buy one as I can't see the point with the catalogue of games I already have on the PS2. :devil:

19. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I don't have a low opinion of Jap games, i am aware that they have some fantastic and innovative titles available, but to the 'mass market' gamer they are not desirable/wanted/needed. And yes they do make sushi bar games, i saw one on some crappy tv games show :)

I don't hate the ps2 controller, i just feel its lazy of Sony not to bother coming up with a better design for a new console, i can't think of another console that has used the same controller as the previous generation(someone prove me wrong please!). As for the M$ pad, the original 'Duke' controller is, imo, the most comfortable pad i've ever used, and no i don't have hands like a silverback gorilla, but as with all pads it's not perfect, the ABXY buttons are not the best and i'm sure they won't be as effective as the 'S' pad for games like Pro Evo 4 and Athens 2004(not that i'd play that)

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    The shape & layout of the PS2 is the best there is IMO - all the buttons are where they should be and can all be reached easily. The Thrustmaster Firestorm 3 gamepad for the PC is better though - slightly bigger, made of better plastic and has two extra buttons (almost like triggers) that work really well.

Like you Sinzer - i'm happy with my PS2 and PC and will be prepared to wait until all consoles have been released before chosing one. That is unless i'm paricularly flush at the time :) .

You are also right Sinzer in that the majority of western gamers don't understand what a good game is and they are far more obsessed with how powerful a machine is instead.

Stereo Steve - I would strongly recommend a purchase of FFX - some of the best graphics i've seen on a console and a superbly engrosing game to boot!

21. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    U all make good points about the current generation of consoles and they all have good points and bad ponts. Here in japan, the X Box hasnt been succesful mainly coz it is a "Foreign" machine and most of the games are too. Japanese people are happy to import western culture like music,movies,and fashion but when it comes to games, they see their games as good enough and arent willing to buy import or even foreign games published in japan by a japanese publusher. That and the size of the X box is what made it a failure in Japan. Having said that recently GTA3 and Vice City were released on the PS2 by Capcom, and did quite well! Who can understand these people!??

I knew this would hapen here so I bought a US X Box !

THe truth is both machines are capable of the same quality games, and the same will probably hapen with the next new consoles (PS3 and XBox2)

I hope this time round the japanese market is more receptive to the Xbox 2 and more publisher make games for it.

Microsoft has shown to the world that they are here to stay and im sure there next system will do just as well or even better.

Sony will probably continue with the dominatrix style theyhave been using untill now owning the market and microsoft will bite at their heals with nintendos next system trying to creat its own market with "inovative gaming".
    Im sure all the new consoles will be worth geting but I think ill stick with just one! (and my PC)

22. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,946
    Ha ha, even non-foaming gamers talking about their console choice is funny. Its all about YOU and the games YOU like, the thing you play on dosent matter at all.

In the circle of gamers I know, the Xbox is owned by what i dub "PC gamers Lite". People that like PC style games, but dont want to flaff about with drivers etc due to their limited free-time. They mostly buy and play FPS's, RTS and MMORPGs, and arent intrested in anything unusual or different. Whereas the PS2 owners i know use it to buy and play the odd - ICO, Japanese mecha, Vib/Rez weirdness. Personally Xbox games leave me cold, and about the only thing the Xbox has which gets me wet is Tekki/Steel Battalion, and games which would be better on a PC (Doom etc), oh and as a UNIX file/print server.

I'm not slating anyones choice of game preference, but it just seems to me the Xbox caters to gamers that see the advantages of playing a PC from the sofa, and hence the games are cut-down PC ports. All IMO and experience of course, and this will probably translate to the next generation, as the companies will have the same outlook on the industry.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I agree Ized - as I already have a PC, I have never seen the point of buying an Xbox. If I didn't have a PC and I couldn't afford a PC then I would probably buy an Xbox. There are only a few games on the Xbox that aren't already PC games or are done better on the PC under the guise of a different game!

PS2 is what I call a proper console, that plays console games. The Xbox is, like you say, a slimmed down PC which is full of PC ports and like a PC sets out to do other things other than play games.

IAMTHEONE - The PS2 controller was altered between the PS1 & PS2 so that it was more analogue and contained vibration as standard. The design is spot on so there is no need to alter it to much. The megadrive pad and saturn pads were very similar with the only difference being some added shoulder buttons and a slight reduction in size. The PS2 pad is just perfect for Pro Evo and after about 6 years playing the games I couldn't imaging playing them with any other device.

24. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I agree completly with you there, the PS2 pad and Pro Evo go together like Van Nistelrooy and goals. it will be interesting to see how it fairs on the xbox pad, if it turns out gash, which it could well be then i will deffo have to get one of those controller converter thingys from lik-sang.

As for current console choice i agree somewhat with what ized said about limited time for gaming, not faffing with drivers and patches and whatever, which is certainly true for me. Few years back i played my PC games to death as i had endless free time on my hands(student) and really got into the updates and patches etc that you have to deal with on pc games(i played Counter-Strike and other HL mods). But now, i don't have so much waistfull(not sure if right word) time so the xbox, with live, and the sort of games i like it makes more sense to use that now, either for 10minute blasts or a few hours session. So gthom3 i can fully see your point about not needing a xbox as you have a pc, i know i wish i still used mine more for gaming, but maybe you should think about getting one when the price drops again soon, £89 in September rumoured, and giving it ago.

My god that whole post is completly OT. :rolleyes:

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I'm tempted to get one just for PES4 if anything as the game should be better (at least graphically) on the X-Box, than the PS2. That said I may just go for the PC version - especially if they make the PC version online.

I guess the other problem with having too many games machines is that I barely have time to play all the PC & PS2 games that I want to. To introduce another machine would just make this situation worse.

X-Box's are good machines and who knows, one day I may dabble with one, but I must say that for now i'm happy with what I have. I'm looking forward to the next lot of technology though :D

26. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I souped up my PC to play a few games and so far have had a success rate of about 60%. I used all good components from Asus, Abit etc. and am no fool when it comes to Drivers, DirectX etc. but some games just won't work and I can't be arsed finding out why.

For instance, I bought Grand Prix Legends. It all installed fine but when I try to run it, the screen divides itself into 3 vertical parts for a few seconds and then the PC reboots. Now, call me old fashioned but that's not an involving gaming experience to me. There may well be a solution to this and all the other similar, but different game problems I've had on PC's over the years but I work at a PC all day so I really can't be bothered mucking about with it.

With the Xbox, for less than the price of a good gfx card you can sit on the sofa with a few beers, hook it up to a big TV or PJ and go for the full 5.1 audio and away you go. No bugs, no hangs, no sudden reset as you are seconds from the end of the hardest level. I played a DTM championship the other night with some good clean racers on Toca and it was the most stunning gaming experience I have ever had. The whole live thing worked brilliantly and it was there on a plate.

You're right, it's pure convenience but also there are some cracking games.

The PS2 is similar to a PC. It has a motherboard, processor, memory etc. It just talks a different language.

27. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never understood this argument. My washing machine could be running Windows 3.11 inside, and I wouldn't care as long as my clothes came out cleaner than they went in.

The simple fact is, the XBox is a console. You put a game in, and it plays it. You hook it up to your TV, and away you go. I'm not sure what a "proper console" is, but the term sounds racist to me. ;)

28. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I think you meant to say xbox. :oops:

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    The argument is quite simple - a great deal of games on the X-Box are ported from the PC as they both share almost identical architechture. This means that if you have a PC and X-Box then a lot of the games are pretty similar between the two.

With the PS2, the architechture couldn't be more different. Games have to be developed from the ground up and this means that even when you have 2 games of the same name released on PS2 & PC, they are often different enough to warrent a purchase of each.

Even the X-Box's biggest game to date (Halo)was developed on the PC (although originally intended for the Mac) and then they simply switched to X-Box at the last moment to give the machine a killer app. M$ then held back the PC version for ages so that people who wanted to play the game couldn't just buy the PC version, they had to buy an X-Box. If you release a console that is essentially the same as a PC, such as the X-Box, then it goes without saying that nearly every software house will release it's game on PC & X-Box as it's very cost effective to just port the game across and not have to code another version from scratch.

Personally I like my console to give me something different to my PC (which plays it's type of game FPS, Sim & Strategy far better and in much higher resolution than a console).

As a counter argument, my PC can easily hooked up to the TV, have a game stuck in it and played so that is hardly the definition of a games console. A games console is a box that is used solely for playing games on. In the current generation the GC is really the only true games console with the PS2 not far off (although it is also a DVD player). The X-Box is almost as versitile as a low end PC and I would put it more in the PC catagory to be honest.

This site looks into the subject a little further:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/xboxpc.html

Stereo Steve - I must say I don't have the same experience as you when it comes to PC gaming. All of the recent games (last few years) I have bought have worked fine. You do have to ensure that the latest drivers for your PC are installed and that you've installed the relevant game patches but after that you should be OK. PC gaming used to be a pain back inthe 486 and early pentium days, but now I find it a breeze. :)

30. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,134
    A games console is just a machine for which the primary use is to play games on your TV. It is nonsense to say that the Gamecube is a 'true' console, whilst the PS2 and XBox are not. They are all meant primarily for gaming thru your TV. Thats it.

And the architecture of the XBox being close to the PC is not a bad thing, as seems to have been suggested within this thread. So what if XBox games are ported from the PC? MOST games these days are multi-platform, and in almost all cases the most limited console is the PS2. (Gamecube disc capacity notwithstanding).

Each of the platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. Architecture is irrelevant, it is the games that matter. And the XBox does very well in this regard with typically the best cross-console version of games, plus some very strong exclusives.