1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-box vs playstation2

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Spasm, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys in your vast experience, which should I buy?
    I've yet to play the X box the playstation 2 is very good but does the X Box kick the preverbial bottom?
    On thing I didn't like about the ps2 is the fact that DVD's commonly Freeze. Will this occur on the X box :confused:

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll field this one.

This has been covered tons of times. Do a search for PS2 or X-Box to find a ton of informative threads. NeoBlade even created one that listed all the other threads for one-stop shopping.

I'm not sure if DVD playback has been covered that much, but AFAIK, the PS2 DVD player was thrown in as an afterthought. X-Box is supposed to be better, but it's probably not up to par with a dedicated DVD player either.

3. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't go into the console war bit, but I would say that the Xbox DVD playback is on a par with a DVD player of similar price and I now use it as my default player (fo convenience if nothing else)

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too will shy away from the "#### is better" but I will say that the XBOX is the undisputed champ when it comes to sound. Games like MechAssault are so much more enjoyable with a huge subwoofer accompanying the collapse of a building, SEGA GT 2002 and HALO are other examples where the game is enhanced due to superb sound.........................put it this way, it's like comparing Pro Logic to DTS :)

5. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some PS2 Games now use DTS surround :) nice :)

6. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS2 only does DTS sound only during the movie sections - not in game sound. The PS2 is not cabable of doing in game DTS ore DD 5.1 sound - it doesnt have the power.

Id also state that the xbox dvd player is well on par with my dedicated Pioneer 626D DvD player for both picture and sound.

Spike

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    PS2 does use DTS 4.0 in-game on many EA games. It's perfectly adequate but the DD 5.1 default support on XBox is an advantage.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has become something of a non-question lately which usually ends in a flaming match which is totally unproductive. At the end of the day, some people prefer the PS2 and some the Xbox, simple as that.

The fact that the PS2 fans are wrong is irrelevant. The Xbox is clearly the better machine but you dare not say it around here because some people are still deluding themselves.

There, that's a nice balanced view.

S

9. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people,

Hopefully I will be the last to enter on this thread ( yeah right! ) , the PS2 can do 5.1 and DTS in game but can not compute sound effects in game using these systems, it is normally only for music. As for which is better, technically the Xbox is more powerfull but the PS2 has more games and are cheaper, in the end its all about the games, thats why I play my Dreamcast more than the other 2. Cheers :)

10. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yeah, I have all three consoles (okay 4 if you include my Dreamcast which seems to be in vogue lately), and they all have their good points and great games.

You need to get yourself down to the store and see which games you like. At the end of the day that's what counts, doesn't it?

Just buy the one with the most games you fancy playing, they are all great in their own right.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Get an ATARI 2600

It has mono sound, with the ability to display lines in various colours of an 8bit nature.

Looks sweet on a plasma screen......... ohhhhhhh pong!

12. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol :D

13. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS2 can NOT do 5.1 sound in game - only in the cut scenes, as in playing movies.

Why say it can do it but cant compute it - thats like saying it can give you the answer to the meaning of live, but cant compute it, or that it can fly to the moon but cant compute it. If it cant compute it it cant do it - simple.

Spike

14. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear,

try playing Burnoutout,burnout2, loads of EA games, etc etc etc.
    I play Burnout in 5.1 and there are no cut scenes in that.

I would suggest playing b4 flaming.

I thank you.

15. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I SAID it could not compute SOUND EFFECTS in 5.1 or DTS. Please read CAREFULLY next time.

I thank you.

16. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It can do digital directional sound effects in game though. SSX Tricky has great dts 4.0 split rears which allow you to hear a boarder approaching from behind, so it can compute in-game sound effects in dts (admittedly 4.0 and not 5.1).

I'm sure it could manage full 5.1 with a rudimentary game, it's just a question of where to spend the processing power, and most devcos choose to spend it on the visuals rather than the audio.

17. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it can do in game sound DTS, the games are there to prove it, FACT!

But as to which one is better, most of it is down to personal preference. No one can deny that the PS2 has the largest and best selection of games around, and to be honest, no matter how fancy and colourful you make the games, its all down to gameplay in the end.

I have a PS2, did have use of an X-BOX for a while, but cant say I'm missing it now its gone.

LOL @ Sinzer altho I do own an Atari 2600! Shame its not even 8bit :p but I do play on it from time to time, but not for very long!!! :D

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the question a bit misleading though, if the thread is asking which is the most powerfull console then PS2 owners would admit that the Xbox is the winner, however if the question was asking which is the best console to buy if you love gaming then Xbox owners would have to agree that the PS2 is the winner here (for now).

19. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy both :D

I bought both my PS2 + Xbox on release day £600 :eek:
    You can get a much more reasonable price on both now....

HALO + Splinter Cell for Xbox
    GTA3 & VC + Countless others for PS2

20. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God when will you boys learn.

I get fed up with this sometimes - but im going to reply just for the sheer hell of it.

Ok to spell it out - DTS and DD are both digital sound formats - they come in all flavours stereo, 4 channel, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 oh and mono if you want as well.

The PS2 can not do in game 5.1 sound - there was a long thread before which explained why it cant do it.

Yes it can do DTS 4 channel sound but that isnt 5.1 sound. As can the Gamecube do Dolby Pro-logic II.

The only console that CAN do full in game 5.1 sound is the Xbox. (as for your information i have all 3 consoles)

As for saying i listen to it in full surround - wow thats great cause i can also listen to stuff recorded off my mono VCR out of 5 speakers (must mean i have a mono vcr that can do 5.1 sound) - but its the same sound out of each speaker - therefore it isnt surround sound.

When will you people stop trying to say something does something just so that they cant try to justify having a certain system, its like oh damn the xbox can do this, the GC can do that oh the PS2 must be able to as well, but if it can we will just say it can (or do you actually believe all the drivell you come out with sometimes)

Oh and dont call me boyo - im probs old enough to be your father (youth of today ;) ) yes you did say it can do it but cant compute it - if something cant compute it - it cant do it.

People come on these forums for advices - to then tell a lie is out of order - say someone buys the console on your advices - gets home thinking hey great im gonna play this game in 5.1 sound - then finds out that it cant do 5.1 sound - they is gonna be a bit peeved.

Spike

21. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest i would say buy a NES - never had so much fun gaming as back on that system - but that may just be looking through rose tinted glasses :)

Spike

22. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't buy an X-Box because it was powerful. I bought it to play games. And despite the good things about the PS2, I think gameplay-wise, the X-Box beats it hands down. But, that's just my opinion. Don't presume that everyone believes the PS2 hype.

23. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If you read through the thread you'll find that I have mentioned dts 4.0 on a number of occasions and never once suggested that the PS2 has any 5.1 game sound effects (though I did mention it is technically possible). I also have all three consoles, plus an excellent surround system that allows me to enjoy the audio to its best.

The difference between dts 4.0 and DD5.1 is totally minimal in games. The lack of a centre channel is not an issue as the phantom image created by the stereo front pair is more than adequate, and bass management in my amplifier redirects all signals below 80Hz to my subwoofer anyway. This largely negates the need for the dedicated .1 LFE channel. Before any argues that I would not say the same about a movie, it is completely true - a movie is much better designed to take full advantage of 5.1, with the centre channel carrying the vast amount of information for the front soundstage. This is not true in games due to the lack of reliance upon dialogue which in which the centre speaker is vital during movies. The main component of game audio is directional effects, and 4.0 surround along with amplifier bass management is more than effective.

So, please don't post such antagonistic replies when many of us on these forums are trying to give the best factual advice available. Yes, the XBox is the only machine which has games supporting 5.1, but the PS2 offers a workable alternative with dts 4.0. Prologic II on the GC can also be very effective, and for the limited effort given to audio design in games I feel there is not much to choose between the three.

PS. - Off Topic - Neither DD or DTS is available in a 7.1 format. Dolby supports up to 5.1 discrete channels (EX is matrixed) and only DTS offers 6.1 discrete channels, even though you should use 7.1 channels for playback according to THX Ultra specs. The rear two channels play the same mono signal, hence the 6.1 sound format often being mislabled as 7.1

24. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl - sorry if you took offence to my post - it wasnt directed at you - it was directed at Bozza - for saying that he is playing games in 5.1 sound on his PS2 and for calling me boyo :)

I did note that you gave the correct information - PS2 doing DTS 4.0 sound. and you are correct in the 7.1 being mislabled - i was just giving generilastions on the different sound formats that DD/DTS can give. Where Bozza seems to think that if it does DTS its full blown 5.1 sound.

Although i would disagree with 4.0 sound being on par with 5.1 sound in games - this may be due to the fact i dont have my bass below 80hz being directed to my sub - have a very good set of front main speakers, did try setting them to small and having all bass sent to the sub but didnt like the sound stage it gave.

Spike

25. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Wouldn't agree... based on the limited games i've been playing since plugging in the optical lead....(Halo, Tony Hawk 4 & RSC).

I for one found the use of DD5.1 to be fantastic. A banshee flying over head sounded like it literally flew over my roof. Voices etc all come from where they should be coming from.... - the same can be said for Tony Hawk 4....

I only own the one console so cannot compare the DPLII and DTS 4.0 used on the GC and PS2 respectively....

26. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But aren't there only a handful of PS2 games with surround, afaik every xbox game is 5.1

Somethink I have found useful recently is using an Xbox game to setup (or just to see how good) you speaker setup is. Stand next to a sound source in the game (a soldier talking for example) then rotate your character round 360 deg and listen to the sound pan around. I only run 4 speakers and the panning was absolutely perfect.

27. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    SpikeyBoyo,

Thanks for your recognition of my efforts to tell a straight story. :)
    Quite unusual to come across someone with full-range speakers these days! I am using M&K sub/sats so get the best response with bass redirection as I described.

SessenRyu,

You illustrate my points perfectly: all the comments you make concern positional sound effects, which can be well achieved through any three of the methods I discussed. This is the basics of in-game surround sound, though there is not really any effort to push the envelope in the same way as movie sound design, with very low sub-bass or other techniques. This is the 'limited effort to audio design' to which I refer.

28. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl,

Im using Ruark Prologue One R's for fronts, Dialogue One For center with Padigram PS1000 sub (need to get a better one) i did try setting to small and large speakers for main, i just prefered the sound with the main set at large, may be cause i need a better sub :)

Not all Xbox games come with 5.1 sound (sadly) but alot do and the top titles (that i have) certainly do have 5.1 sound. Hearing those cars right behind you in Sega GT 2002 and PRG is quite scary, thinking damn i gotta put my foot down - normally ends up with me putting the car into the wall.

Spike