1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X Box. US or UK?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Nic Rhodes, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A few simple X Box questions to you guys in the know however at this game I am a newbie.

I am not a gamer and never really have been. I look at each new console however and none have inspired me until now. The X Box looks really good but I can’t decide on a UK one or a US one, here is why

DVD Player bit

Am I correct that what ever DVD player ‘dongle’ I plug into my X box (US or UK), whether R1 or R2 ‘dongle’ will write something to the hard disc for ever and fix the region? Has anyone done a multi region hack? I don’t need DVD playback but as a back up it might be useful if it was region aware.

Progressive Scan bit

The US model seems to be able to do 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i with the HD cable (component). Is this correct? I assume it is also a game thing with most US games 480p capable and a few (in the future) might have 720p capability?

The UK model I know does interlaced (is it 576i?). Will it also do 576p if I add a US HD component cable? I assume both the UK model and US model have the same round D connector on the rear. Is this so?

Now I have a JOYTECH Digital AV cable for an X box already (to see how the round D connector worked). Always the engineer! This will give me RGB (Scart), S-video, L and R audio and Toslink Digital (£15). It seems a more capable version of the Microsoft Advanced RGB which just give RGB and DD. It appears that this will give results on either UK or US box.

I have two places for this X box.

1. It will drive a Toshiba DD TV via RGB Scart and Toslink. The Joytek cable will stay in place on the TV and the box will move. It is interlaced only but is PAL and NTSC friendly.
    2. It will get carried to another room where it will ultimately be hooked up to my CRT projector via a scaler (in Tag AV192 most likely). I would prefer to feed the scaler with a progressive scan signal than interlaced on a game box (no 2:2 or 3:2 etc). Although 720p sounds great I would be content with 480p plus a scaler to get to 720p. The HD US cable will stay in place into the AV192 scaler inputs and again the box will travel.

I hope this explains where I am coming from

I have found import US box at £399. Is this about right with the UK at £299? I am tempted by a package deal to get several games and all the kit I need from one location. What are the top 5 recommendations for games to get me going?

Just to finally confirm I can’t use US games on a UK box.

Sorry for the dumb questions but most of the discussion on this was before people got their mits on UK kit (February), or info is contradictory and I feel I have contributed elsewhere on this board to be able to get away with it.
    :D

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    DVD Player bit

Am I correct that what ever DVD player ‘dongle’ I plug into my X box (US or UK), whether R1 or R2 ‘dongle’ will write something to the hard disc for ever and fix the region? Has anyone done a multi region hack? I don’t need DVD playback but as a back up it might be useful if it was region aware.

- this is true, the first DVD kit you put in locks the region, however Datel are due to release a Region X this week, but bear in mind it may only boot up on a UK machine..

Progressive Scan bit

The US model seems to be able to do 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i with the HD cable (component). Is this correct? I assume it is also a game thing with most US games 480p capable and a few (in the future) might have 720p capability?

- yes that's correct..

The UK model I know does interlaced (is it 576i?). Will it also do 576p if I add a US HD component cable? I assume both the UK model and US model have the same round D connector on the rear. Is this so?

- adding a US hi-def kit will still only give you 575i, I've tried everything but can;t get a PS signal from a UK machine at all. A US hi-def kit works fine otherwise and is the only way to get component.

Now I have a JOYTECH Digital AV cable for an X box already (to see how the round D connector worked). Always the engineer! This will give me RGB (Scart), S-video, L and R audio and Toslink Digital (£15). It seems a more capable version of the Microsoft Advanced RGB which just give RGB and DD. It appears that this will give results on either UK or US box.

- very true..

I have two places for this X box.

1. It will drive a Toshiba DD TV via RGB Scart and Toslink. The Joytek cable will stay in place on the TV and the box will move. It is interlaced only but is PAL and NTSC friendly.
    2. It will get carried to another room where it will ultimately be hooked up to my CRT projector via a scaler (in Tag AV192 most likely). I would prefer to feed the scaler with a progressive scan signal than interlaced on a game box (no 2:2 or 3:2 etc). Although 720p sounds great I would be content with 480p plus a scaler to get to 720p. The HD US cable will stay in place into the AV192 scaler inputs and again the box will travel.

I hope this explains where I am coming from

I have found import US box at £399. Is this about right with the UK at £299? I am tempted by a package deal to get several games and all the kit I need from one location.

- price is about right if you buy in the UK..

What are the top 5 recommendations for games to get me going?

1 - Halo
    2 - DOA3 (if you're a fight fan and like eye candy)
    3 - Project Gotham (for serious race fans
    4 - Rallisport - for more arcade race fans
    5 - Munch's Odyssee - overlooked but a stunning one player game and probably the best looking overall

my opinions of course

Just to finally confirm I can’t use US games on a UK box.

That's right, at the moment there's no way to do it..

Hope this helps Nic..Xbox has surpassed many peoples expectations which is a good thing in my book and with each new release I see things are definately gonna get even better..:)

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Steve

Thanks for taking the time, it is a pity that we can't get PS from a UK box unless someone knows otherwise....

Always the optimist:)