1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X box tv and audio connections ?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by jonnyv, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Can anyone tell me what connections the x box has to tv ? (scart,s-video,rgb)

Also what audio connections ? (digital optical) ?

thanks

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    johnny do a search mate, this has been covered so many times before - in short with the right cable you can connect it to (almost) anything.

Gary

3. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    X-box supports Dolby digital 5.1 sounds great in games.

You can use RGB Scart and Component for a top notch picture.

Your x-box will come with a standard non-RGB scart which is cack, upgrade it as soon as you can.

4. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Piero Milani, thanks for the reply. My problem is i have 2 RGB scarts on my tv and both are being used. I do have an s-video scart though, is there a scart that uses s-video avaliable ?
    Also digital optical cable would need to be about 3 mrts long to hook up to my amp ?

thanks

5. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What you need is a Scart box, simply plug it into the RGB socket on your telivision and you can have 5 RGB scarts from the box.

I reccomend the one at the top of the link I have posted as it is RGB, the other 3 scart box does not say that it is RGB(ASsume it isnt)

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...5&catName_2=Office,+PC+and+phones&catHits_2=1

As for the optical cable, not sure if you can get a 3 metre one, if you can it will be pricy!

6. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I wanted to avoid the scart boxes as it will degrade the signal, i use very expensive scart cables for my dvd player and sky plus box. The next best option is to use s-video, is this avaliable with scart or do i have to use my s-video connection on my tv ?

thanks

7. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Not sure what you mean here ?

Scart box is ruled out.

So that only leaves you with a S-Video Connection (unless you have a component input).

The Link below shows S-video cable from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UBQB/202-6846782-9877416

This is a cheap saitek cable, I cant tell you how good it is. Only cables I have used with x-box are the official Microsoft RGB Scart and Component.

S-Video will not give as good a picture as RGB SCart. MAny Forum users use the Argos Scart box and do not notice degredation in picture quality.

8. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry - I don't want to get off topic here (but I also don't want to start a vaguely related thread) so.......

How does everyone else cable their XBox into their AV setup? My ideal setup is to plug get audio from XBox, along with my PS2, DVD, Gamecube and TV into my Pioneer VSX2011 amp, using the component as much as I can to get the best possible video.

Problem I have is my TV only has one component input. Therefore I need to utilise the two component inputs of the amp. One for DVD, obviously. Then I have to decide which console goes in the remaining one. It's a PAL Gamecube, so I'm stuck with a scart into the TV for that. Now I've decided to plug the PS2 into the component, simply because the digital out on the PS2 is seperate to the video out - therefore I can run an optical cable to the amp. I can't find one XBOX cable that has component connectors AND a optical audio connector - they all have L + R phono audio connectors (which if I understand it right) only give me an analogue signal, not a true digital one.

So I've got an Svideo cable which has an integrated optical audio cable. Job done.

I'm reasonably happy with this - I'd recomend this cable to Jonnyv (if I still had the box.....I think it might be a genuine Microsoft but there's no markings on the cable). But I have that nagging doubt.......could I do it better......could I get that extra 2% performance out of my kit............................

9. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    RiPRiP you need an official Xbox component cable this has component and optical input. This cable must be imported, you can find it for sale at the UK games website MX2 (Google MX2)

The cable is called the Hi Definition cable, search for it on the MX2 website.
    :smashin:

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    riprip,
    do what i do, put the DVD on component, XBox through the RGB, rejoice at the stunning graphics, marvel at the fantastic sound. buy a new duster to keep the PS2 and GC free from the dust they will now gather.

Seriously, i could never find a SCART box i was happy with, so i bought a video switch box from maplins. its not ideal but it doesn't seem to degrade the signal as much.over the last year i have found myself playing with the PS2 less and less and the GC was sold as it was the least used of the three. The PS2 will be 18 months old soon so it will start to play up anyway - dont you just love the shoddy electronics but in the their flagship console?

you'll have to decide yourself which is the best way to go, but the above worked for me.

Gary