1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box to PWD6 VGA Port

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bakero, Jan 3, 2005.

1. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a cable I can get to do this directly, or will I need something like the JS convertor box inbetween the X-Box and the screen ? The JS box looks a bit costly, and I can't find any X-Box cables that can output component to the 15 pin port.

Thanks
    Dave

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea if it works as I don't have one, but try this (remember seeing it in another thread recently so may be worth searching for it):

www.x2vga.com

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JS converts RGB scart to RGBHV......as PW6 (NOTE not PW7) will accept YUV in the VGA port you could
    a) buy a standard Xbox component cable cut off the RCA ends and solder into a D-sub (need good soldering skills) http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1905&
    b) get a compoanent board ££££ but £70 ish for a bnc board and Xbox cable is cheaper than JS box and cables (would need RGB scart for Xbox and VGA lead)
    c)search for an off the shelf cable (couldn't find any)

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the one I found count as an off the shelf cable, horny? :D

I'll be getting a Component board for my PW7 any day now and already have the cable for it - I'll post the PQ asap...

May also get the JS Converter when I can justify it to the boss, in which case I'll be able to compare both...

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I am using the Official MS Hi Def Kit, which allows you to use any component cable.

I am using a Van Damme component cable plugged into this (3 RCA - VGA connector). This is a 'home made' cable bought off the forums, but it does the job perfectly without the need for conversion. If you get the MS kit, it comes with a cheap component cable which would be ideal for experimenting with before butchering a better component cable!

This really improves the quality of my Xbox into the PWD6. I was previously using the Advanced SCART cable into a SCART board. Once I have soft modded the Xbox to enable the progressive modes, I am hoping for a better PQ still.

In is worth noting that while the PWD6/PW6 can take a component signal through its VGA port,this solution would not work for a PWD7/PW7 where a component to VGA converter would be needed.

6. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave.

How are you planning to soft-mod your Xbox, and will that ban you from Live?

Any idea whether the setup you're using is better or worse than using the 5-piece component lead straight into a component board, which is what I'll be doing? And will your soft-mod be of any use to me with that setup?

Cheers!

7. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    I have 2 boxes, both using ms-advanced scart leads plugged into the component inputs of my Denon 3805 and then the output of the 3805 into the vga on the PW6.

Picture is stunning.

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I am going to use the Splinter Cell gamesave method with Action Replay. Have a look in the gaming section, and you should see a few threads on this.

This will not get you banned from Live in the same way that a modchip will.

I think that your method should give exactly the same results as mine. The PWD6 takes a YUV component signal through its VGA input, so the VGA is in effect acting as a second component board. With your PW7, the only way to input a component signal is through a component board.

The softmod should improve the picture quality. There is some argument as to whether the deinterlcer in the Panasonic screen should be left to do the deinterlacing rather than getting an Xbox to send a progressive signal itself.

This makes sense, but a lot of people who have tried the soft mod have noticed a good improvement. It only cost me £12 to get an Action Replay to give it a try, so I thought it was worth a go - I will keep you in touch with the results!

9. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £12 for Action Replay?! Can't argue with that at all! :thumbsup: Can I get one for that price??!

I'll be interested to read your results... my one other option is to put the Xbox into the JS Converter using Composite/SCART and put that into the VGA port, but to be honest I think it's more likely I'll put Sky+&DVD through that set-up as I use it more often than the Xbox, and it's the only way I'll be able to justify the cost of the JS box to the missus... :blush: