1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-BOX selling1,000 units a week in Japan

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by stewarthollyhead, Apr 19, 2002.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IGN report that the x-box is only currently selling 1,800 boxes a week.So what you may ask?

Well without the support of the Japanese market it could be a rocky ride for Microsoft. The Japanese market is far more stable than the others and it defines which products are longstanding.

Here is the news anyway:

Week 4/8-4/14, Japan Hardware Sales

PS2: 55,000 units (total this year: 1,323,000)
    GBA: 31,000 units (total this year: 969,000)
    GameCube: 10,000 units (total this year: 510,000)
    PS1: 3,000 units (total this year: 74,000)
    Xbox: 1,800 units (total this year: 169,000)
    Dreamcast: 1,500 units (total this year: 12,000)

2. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Japanese are wholly and completely territorial about these things.

Console created outside Japan.............Huh how dare they !!

Am I surprised No. It does not matter if the XBox does not get their approval, it never will.

Europe and the UK was too expensive now it will be an interesting few months ahead.

Regards

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MS said when they first came out that they were focusing on the European and US markets for just that reason. The low sales in Japan (although not ideal) are probably well within expectations.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It does very much matter how the XBOX sells in Japan as ultimately this will affect all territories. Microsoft are aware of this and will be sorely disappointed with such low sales. Yes, they knew it would be harder to break the Japanese market than the likes of Sony, Nintendo, Sega but to only be selling roughly the same amount as the Dreamcast, an effectively defunct console, this is as bad as could be.

Japan is essential as this is where the bulk of development houses and talent are situated. Although there are many developers in the UK and US, the fact remains that the great majority of them are influenced or directly owned by the main Japanese corperations. It's still early days, and I expect things will pick up, but make no mistake, without mass-market Japanese appeal, Microsoft's XBOX will be out of the game. That may seem harsh, but it's happened before and will happen again. The Atari Jaguar (yes I did buy one at £320 upon import launch), and the Sega Dreamcast are two shining examples in recent years - lest we forget the Amiga CD32. Microsoft have huge amounts of money in comparison to the above companies - but in the long term, money and marketing alone will not be enough

And don't think it's selling any better in Europe or the UK, sales have effectively slowed to a standstill. The £100 price-cut is in direct response to this. Mind you, I must congratulate Microsoft on this as they have been very good in offering early adopters 2 free games and an extra Joypad. It's a pity I own a bloody import and paid through the nose for it upon US Launch, meaning I don't benefit from the free offer. :(

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree and disagree with you.

It's like a domino effect. When you push one domino the rest will follow.

Let's say the whole world has opened upto the X Box and developers think, do I want to sell a game in Japan because...hmm.....well it is Japan ofcourse, or do we want to sell to everyone else !!

Nuff said.

If we all take to the X Box and developers also take to the X Box then Japan WILL follow.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think DC or the Atari Jaguar hit it big anywhere. So I don't think you can look at the Japanese market failure as their main reason for failure.

There are alot of Japanese developers but there are a hell of a lot in Europe and US as well. I can't actually think of one game I'm looking forward to this year thats coming from Japan.

How many gamers are there in the US and Europe ? Enough to make it worth while I would have thought.

I think the problem is with the casual gamer. They don't understand the benefits of the xbox over the playstation 2. They just look at the hundreds of colourful games boxes for the PS2, the £20 games range and the fact that their sons 7 year old friend at school has one and he says it's better than the xbox "cos the xbox crashes all the time".

I do feel the xbox has been designed for the game/HC enthusiast... DD5.1 (I had to tell the manager in GAME what it meant!), widescreen, hard drive, broadband enabled and a controller thats really comfortable for my small adult hands but too big for my 11 year old nephrew (he can't reach the left analoge stick). Also, the games like Halo, Project Gotham and the planned games like Project Ego, Unreal and GP4 are more indept experiences targeted at the more mature gamer rather than Mr casual gamer.

I am praying the xbox will be with us for a long time. It deserves it for it's spec and Halo alone.

I don't want to by a console then have to wait 18 months for a good game, buy memory cards at 25 quid a shot, buy a seperate hard drive and broadband thing. Thats one big rip off if you ask me.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That's not the point I was trying to make. I was simply pointing out that money and marketing do not guarantee success. Just because a company decides to get into the console business and comes up with a good machine does not mean it will last the distance. It needs the support of everyone but software is the driving force that will ultimately make or break a machine.

Yes, there are a great many software developers in both the US and Europe but it is a fact that many of them are affiliated with the larger Japanese software houses, whose decision it will be to develop for the XBOX or not. If they feel the game won't sell in their home territory, it makes it riskier for them to give the go ahead for other territories. Japan is essential to all console manufactueres. Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco, Sega are all first class developers with the ability to pump out many franchise and quality games a year whereas smaller European development houses cannot produce the quantity to keep up. How can you possibly say you are not looking forward to any games by the above software developers?

As for US development houses, well don't get me started. The majority of the games they release are either Sports sims or are just plain dreadful.

That's the problem. The XBOX is not selling well in Europe either. I hope it does - I think it will - but at the moment, it's not.
    Your comments on the "Casual Gamer" are spot on. I couldn't agree more.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do non Japanese cars sell in Japan? Check it out. Does this mean that Ford, GM, Fiat, Renault etc etc etc are in trouble? The Japanese are notoriously loyal to their own products (and who can blame them?) but it's a big world and there is a whole market to be had elsewhere. Personally I think at £200, the Xbox has suddenly become 100 times more attractive. Most people have some vague idea that the games are better so it should really start to motor. Myself, I really want one but £300, for me, is just too much for a games console, no matter how good. £200 though is starting to look quite reasonable. It's in impulse buy territory.