1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x-box not firing up.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Dom Rice, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an x-box that starts up normally sometimes and then does not others.

Theproblem is when switched on it sometimes starts to fire up then decides not to and the Green light starts to flash green/red.

I have found that punching the xbox on the top quite hard several times seems to cure the problem but I dont think this is right.

Has anyone else had a similar problem.?

:(

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I hear that if you submerge them in a bucket of water, then hang them out to dry they usually fix themselves.

Alternatively if your fist stops working try a hammer :p hehe

I take it you have tried a disc cleaner?

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No thats not right, i bet your hand is killing? that thing is like a bloody brick:rotfl:

4. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If the light is going Red - thats a very bad sign :( Give M$ a ring and they will sort it out. Unless you have a chipped xbox ??

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If your XBox is chipped I would say you have a faulty connection on one of the LPC legs of the chip header. A bit of reheat with the solder iron should sort it.

If not chipped, then pardon me, and suggest you get in touch with your supplier.

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    this two colour flashing can happen if the AV connection on the back of the xbox is loose or not correctly connected 100%.

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    A loose AV lead causes a green / orange flashing.

Red and green is usually the sign of a bad solder joint on a mod-chip install, as Messiah pointed out. A bad hard-disk / DVD drive is (usually) indicated by an on-screen error message.

If you're box is modded, I suggest following Messiah's advice and re-heating the LPC solder joints. Don't bother with the tiny D0 point, cos if this one goes bad the XBox will just boot using the non-mod BIOS.

If you're box isn't modded, then I think a red / green flash is indeed a bad sign - it can't find a BIOS to boot from, which, as the BIOS is soldered to the motherboard, is usually pretty terminal

8. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the box is chipped. I have tried to take it to bits but could not get the thing apart. Took screews out but thats all. Thing did not want to come apart easily, thought I would break it if started using brute force.

Does anyone know how to take them apart ? I'll then try reheating the solder joints etc if I can find the chip.

Thought it might be the mod chip as it never failed to start prior to getting it modded. Saying that it worked fine for three months or so after being chipped.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    There should be a disassembly walkthru on some of the modchip sites as part of the installation instructions.

Its fairly straight forward but you will need a couple fo tork drivers and some of the bolts are hidden under the feet and lower labels of the Xbox.

Inside its fairly standard PC fare in interlocking removable plastic chassis.. Just be careful if thing is powered up ( recommend putting the hard drive back in to cover up the PSU area if you are meddling in a powered up machine.

I reseated my matrix modchip no problem when itt came loose.

Putting the thing back together is more difficult as the case is sprung so you have to squeaze it a little to get it to snap back together especially at the back. Just take your time with it: mine needed a little bit of force to get the case back together.

10. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I found the ones under the labels as these has been broken when initially taken apart. Did not know about the sneaky ones under the feet!

That would explain why it didn't want to come apart.

I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for the advice guys.

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I had the same problem, it happened a few days after it had been fitted with a executor 2.2
    I rang the guy who modded it and he told me it's because one of the solder points on the chip had become loose.
    I took it back to him and a quick two minute soldering session solved the problem.

12. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:rotfl:

13. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    tsk tsk. you want a box modded? you should do it yourself. at NO point should the solder joints become loose - trust me on this. if the guy used bad solder, he will do a bad job. end of story.

i did it myself and it took me no more than 30mins in total.

(also using the executor 2.2lite)