1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x-box media center extender - WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by nathsea, May 8, 2005.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I brought a x-box media center extender of these very forums last week, and have just set it up and all i can say is WOW, it is great it just works, I wish MS would bring these out for the uk market asap, they will sell like hot cakes especially if they keep the price down.
    Any questions, just ask away!!

Nathan

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    What is it? How much was it? How does it work? What aspects of Media Center does it emulate? What is the quality like? Does it use via wi-fi, what sort of speed, router, etc...

thanks
    lisa
    :)

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean the freeware program xbox media centre on a chipped xbox? its great yeh but you cant just buy one it has to be modded voiding the warranty etc, no way misro$oft are gonna bring em out officialy, its not even their software. i have to agree its great though, it can stream video from a pc without any trouble and at perfect quality.

4. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Lisa,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/devices/xboxextenderkit.mspx

That is it, it is american , so you will need to have a chipped xbox, or soft modded so as you can play ntsc disks. You connect your xbox in to your home network, install the software on pc and put the disc in the xbox, and it gives you complete control of your pc, whatever you can do on your mce pc you can pretty much do on your x-box.
    The quality is actually very good, and it is very quick considering any signal you send has to give via network and back.
    You can use Wifi if you want but you have to connect wifi to your xbox to use it.

It cost me £50, which is probably a bit much but you can find them on ebay and have one shipped over to you, i`m just impatient!!

Any other q`s just ask

Nathan

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have a chipped box though just go to xbox scene read the forums and download xbox media centre, it can do all that and its free. dunno if it works on softmodded ones though.

in fact i think microsoft have ripped of xbmc with that product, that could be a funny law suit

6. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i have tried xbmc, it is a good piece of software but, in my opinion, i dont think it is as friendly as the ms version, the other half can use it - which is the main thing!!! It works just like the tv downstairs, as we have the xbox in the bedroom doing pvr duties up there..

Each to their own I suppose, both have their advantages but for me it is the MS version, at the mo!!! :)

Nathan

7. bonhamj

bonhamj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question for Nathan

I have been toying with the idea of importing the xbox extender myself, but am concerned over quality of picture. In your opinon would you say that the quality of picture on live TV and recorded TV is better than using the TV out function from the pc? I have tried the tv out and in my opinon it is nowhere near watchable. I take it from your first post that it must be pretty good.
    Many thanks,
    Jim

8. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    bonhami, I would say it is definitley on a par with the picture from the pc, i do think it looks slightly better, but i could be imagining it,. Thinking about it though I have an RGB lead going to my upstairs tv from my xbox so perhaps that is giving a better picture than the s-video out on my pc.

Hope this helps, any other q`s just ask away,

Nathan

9. bonhamj

bonhamj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the quick response Nathan.
    It sounds as though it will be good enough for my needs. I shall import one and give it a try. For £50 i haven't got too much to lose.

Thanks again,
    Jim

10. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have to be running MCE or will it work on bog standard XP ?

11. bonhamj

bonhamj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do have to be running windows xpmce 2005 for it to work with any extender, as it is as the name suggests an extender for mce and nothing more.

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hi, I am re-visiting this idea, trying to pick up a modded xbox from the classifieds.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

Is xbmc (xbox media center) different software to xbox media center 2005 extender software?

Does the xbox have wi-fi capabilities or does it need a dongle?

Does it play live tv, recorded tv from the MCE2005 pc, and what about vobs, xvid, divx files?

thanks
    lisa

13. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that it doesn't support any wide-screen modes? 4:3 only?

14. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have XBMC on my modded XBOX - it's not the same as MCE2005 extender (whihc I don't have)
    XBox has a ethernet connection on the back - you need to plug an WiFi access point into this (typically £40-50) to get WiFi.
    A pre modded Xbox will cost you about £200 from ebay (with 120/160Gb HDD)

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    A quick question.... Does the remote that comes with Microsoft Xbox extender kit also work for xbmc (open source prog)?

16. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    XBOX 360

Xbox 360™ is an integrated music, picture, games, and movie center.

Use the camera to video chat or send video messages to friends across the globe via Xbox Live™.

Stream recorded television, videos, movies, music, and photos from your Windows® XP Media Center PC straight to your Xbox 360. Enjoy all your digital entertainment on demand throughout your home with one integrated system.

Play progressive-scan DVD movies right out of the box.

Connect your portable music device to enjoy your favorite music while playing a game or chatting with friends online.

Listen to FM and Internet radio.

Receive game invites from friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music.

Enjoy and share your digital photos with friends and family.

Get one-button access to the Xbox Guide, an entertainment gateway that instantly connects players to the Xbox 360 experience: your games, your friends, your music.

Due in UK Nov 2005

17. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes it works on the XBMC, Evolution X dashboard and the official MS dashboard for navigation and you are able to play DVDs.
    I have had my XBOX extender now for about 5 months its excellent I have to admit it emulates everything apart from playing a dvd you must use the MS or XBMC to play DVDs but then you can play them in 480p resolution which looks very nice. I use a dlink 810 Ethernet > WIFI gaming adaptor which runs at 108mb but will work fine on 54mb I have tested it. The my videos directory is the only downer is no divx or xvid, you are able to play mpeg 1 and 2, windows media. I use XBMC to play DIVX and to be honest its superb for freeware.
    As my xbox is chipped I am able to use the HD capability of the xbox so media center displays in 480p and as the actual Xbox Extender DVD is very small I have it stored on my HDD so I can selet it from the menu on my HDD. If your thinking great I can put multiple copies on more than one xbox you would be wrong because the product requires activation and the software will not run unless the dongle is plugged in.
    My brother has the LINKSYS extender and compared to the xbox it doesnt have a DVD drive so no dvd watching at all and you can't play games on it :)
    I use my XBOX as a games console and an Extender, hooked up to my infocus projector on a 203cm screen, yamaha 6.1 EX amp and speakers the sound and picture from DVD is superb and from MCE for TV and Recorded TV etc.
    Hope this info helps.

18. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Yes very useful, thankyou. What do you use as your default dashboard, and do you know of an easy way to change it without flashing the bios? I would prefer xbmc.....

19. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I take it you have a chipped xbox not software modded ?
    I use a few dashboards UIX which is very similar to the std MS dash but has been edited to allow FTP and different menu, colours etc easily the most modern and best looking.
    Evolution X I would suggest for a software modified xbox because its easy to use you can change the skins for different looks etc plus you can use the DVD remote or extender remote to navigate on the menu etc (UIX can but needs patch).
    The easiest way to change the dash is via FTP have you setup an FTP connection from your pc to xbox ?
    Its only a matter of copying over a few files and renaming etc.