X Box Live - Wireless Connection Please help

fecdave

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking for as much advise as possible as my technical knowledge on this is limited.

I live in a 3 story house, and currently have Broadband through BT. My computer an Advent T1 (see below for link and specifications)

http://www.computerbuyer.co.uk/buyer/reviews/65892/advent-t1.html

is connected to the Broadband through a BT Voyager 200 Router.

My Xbox is in my bedroom on the second floor. I have two problems with this. 1) There is no phone point in the bedroom
2) I dont want a wire going down two flights of stairs into he router

So basically I need a wireless connection for the PC and XBOX

I would be very grateful if somebody could recommend the equipment that I need to connect both wirelessly in the best possible way.

:lease:

A thread further down this section suggested this .

I have no knowledge of it just that saw the post. Looks interesting.

Matt

you need a wireless router (Into phone line), a wireless bridge (into back of xbox. if your pc needs to be wireless then you'll need a card for that too but if its connected to the router with a cable then that will be fine.

follow the intructions in the manuals and bingo. just remember after you have done it to activate "encription" so no one else can access your network. its really not as hard as it seems - if you get stuck there tech support is fantastic.

the stuff i use can be found here:

http://www.linksys.com/products/

this stuff can be bought in comet, dixons et al.

Gary

dont buy it in the local high street you can get it cheaper on the net at places like ebuyer have a good look round first. Also go for the G rated equipment if your going to be transmitting accross that sort of distance my pref would be the DSL604G
but this is my preferance very easy to set up etc. you have to look at what type of Brodband (cable/adsl) then buy the relative parts for this I have also learned it doesnt pay to use cheap equip look at spending at least £100 oh and make sure you buy a all in one modem router to save an conflicts of brands eg linksys router dlink modem and the configuration will be easier if it all in one use link below very good supplier

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=65177

I have the DSL-G604T and the DWL-G810 (here). Got both of these from broadbandbuyer.co.uk, excellent service

Only problem i had was the Wireless AP, was on a different default subnet when i got it and i had to change that, apart from that i haven't had any problems with either the router or game adapter.

Dlink stuff is also pretty easy to configure

A thread further down this section suggested this .

Its me that has the Devolo Dlan setup. Its fantastic, no lag takes seconds to setup and its cheaper than wireless.

I`m telling you a monkey could set these things up its that simple.

Put it this way after having it working for a day I sold my Wireless bridge to a guy on here. The only thing you need to make sure is that the power sockets you want to share the internet connection over are on the same circuit. Also if you want to be able to use live and your pc online at the same time you would will still need a cheap switch / router or two network cards in your PC with ICS enabled.

Really this is the way to go for online gamming in my opinion, especially if you live in an old house and want the connection to work over a number of floors.

For me the performance of wireless was no where near acceptable for live even with decent kit, aerial upgrades etc. Great for browsing the net and moving files, absolutely crap for gamming.

I paid around £85 delivered for the two dlan adapters, really thats all you need :)

harrisuk said:
Its me that has the Dlan setup. Its fantastic, no lag takes seconds to setup and its cheaper than wireless. Put it this way after having it working for a day I sold my Wireless bridge to a guy on here. The only thing you need to make sure is that the power sockets you want to share the internet connection over are on the same circuit. Also if you want to be able to use live and your pc online at the same time would will still need a cheap switch / router or two network cards in your PC with ICS enabled.

Really this is the way to go for online gamming in my opinion, especially if you live in an old house and want the connection to work over a number of floors.

For me the performance of wireless was no where near acceptable for live even with decent kit, wireless upgrades etc. Great for browsing the net and moving files, absolutely crap for gamming.

This sounds cool, how do you know if switches are on the same circuit though

Its easy to test. Plug a lamp in in each room you want to share the connection and flick the switch for the sockets at the mains. If they both go off its on the same circuit.

The vast majority of house have plug sockets on one circuit. Only big house will split circuits between floors.

My house was rewired three years ago is over three floors and all the plugs are on the same circuit.

I might have to buy this as while i am happy with the router, there is definite lag on the wireless access point. Sometime the sign in to Xbox live seems to take ages, so i am sure it must affect my gaming also

I wondered how long it would take for one of the Fu/k'ers to turn up

Well I had the same problem. You are always going to get some lag with wireless because of lost packets. It pretty much expected that if you have more than two brick walls between your router and bridge the connections not going to be great for gamming.

In the Devolo thread someone posted a link to a review of it. They did extensive testing and found no packet loss. They said its basically the same as using an ethernet cable. I dont have any problems recommending it and neither did they.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of it though is how easy the setup is for the novices, well basically there is no setup or software to install, opposed to all the hastle I had getting the Bridge to work with xbox live.

For the sake of ease here are the other relevant links regarding this kit :

Devolo thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1636352#post1636352

Review

http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/reviews/2004/q4/devolo.asp

Where I bought mine from (Next day delivery and very helpful tech support)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1806

harrisuk said "Also if you want to be able to use live and your pc online at the same time you would will still need a cheap switch / router or two network cards in your PC with ICS enabled."

I'm not sure I understand why you would need two network cards for the PC?
Does the data being transmitted over the power circuit interfere with the existing wireless connection?

My current set up is a wireless router downstairs that my desktop and laptop connect to wirelessly, but I want my x-box upstairs to connect via this dlan thingy. Will that work?

If you have a router no problem, ethernet cable from router to DLan adapter and you are sorted. 2 network cards would obviously not be neccessary.

There is no interferance from the power grid and no packet loss unlike wireless. If you already have a wireless router you could try an ethetnet brige / gamming adapter to connect the xbox to your internet connection, but I found the performance to be unacceptable.

thanks for that info. I can't see an advantage of going the wireless route for the x-box if the dlan works as well as you say. (except maybe a wireless bridge is a bit cheaper than two dlan adapters?)

I'll try this out!

Correct you would save around £30 going the wireless bridge route but in my experience the performance of the connection is not acceptable. That said there are plenty of people on here that seem happy with it, depends on the enviroment its working in but in my house wireless for gamming just dosnt cut it.

Just make sure the sockets you want to share the connection on are on the same circuit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom