1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box live + No Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Pooon, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Can it be done?

I have a ISDN connection, which is the fastest available when you live in the middle of nowhere, network card in my pc and a uk un-modded xbox.

If it can be done what info do i need to tell my xbox?, someone told me i need ip address' and stuff, where would i get this info from?, i use freeserve as my isp btw.

Any help gratefully received.:clap:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Even if it worked the gameplay over 64 or 128kb would be awful.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Why?

When Xbox Connect first came out many people tried it over 64K ISDN and it was fine to play.

I remember there have been a few posts in the past with people using it fine.

You should be ok, if any game uses more than 64k/sec (for a client, not server) then the netcode programmers should be shot.

128k ISDN would be more than adequate to play games, you wouldn't be able to host.

You would need an ISDN router or an additional network card in your PC and use internet connection sharing. I believe 3com do ISDN routers. The routers tend to be fairly expensive around 200-250 quid as mostly businesses buy them.

4. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

Since I don't have broadband available in my area I have been using ISDN (64k) since May on Xbox Live and have had been able to play fine generally.

The games which I own and have played on Live are Moto GP, Moto GP 2, Phantasy Star Online, Midtown Madness 3, Mech Assault and Whacked!. All of which play very well. The one problem I have found is that when too many players talk at once over the microphone, (more than 4) the speech tends to cut out as there is not sufficent bandwidth for this many similtaneous conversations. This can be a bit annoying but it's not that major. In the games I have played, lag isn't a problem unless you play with 12+ odd players and the host is in the US. I've even hosted games on Moto GP with no complaints.

I didn't buy RTCW (Return to Castle Wolfenstein) because people on broadband complained of lag, so I didn't think there was any chance of it playing well on ISDN. It's mainly the first person shooters which tend to lag more, even on broadband. You could probably expect both Ghost Recon: Island Thunder and Soldier of Fortune II to play pretty well over 64k, although I haven't tried either.

I'm actually getting broadband on the 22nd of October so I won't be needing my Eicon Diva ISDN Router which cost £249.99 when I bought it in February 2002. If you would be interested in buying it from me for a mere £100 (it still retails for £249.99), then you'd be getting a very good deal as it is a quality piece of equipment and you are not likely to be able to connect any cheaper than this if you buy an ISDN router.

Tell me what you think and feel free to e-mail me:
    sicton@monoplex.co.uk

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy Xbox Live! soon!