1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box live first timer!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by barneybelly, Nov 7, 2004.

1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys & Gals,

I have had my x-box now for about a year and have had blueyonder broadband for about 3 years......only now have i decided to take the plunge and go for x-box live purely as i will be purchasing the best footy game ever...pro evo.
    But i have a few questions first if anyone out there can oblige?
    1. My pc is upstairs and my x-box is downstairs (for the bigger tv)...is it a case of getting a bloody long cable to connect my box and my modem or is there an alternative way?
    2. my modem is connected to the pc via usb...leaving my ethernet slot free, will this affect my connection at all? And is it a case of just plugging ethernet cable into modem and x-box, have a credit card handy and away i go?
    3. do i have to contact blueyonder to let them know i am online gaming or just plug in my cable and play?
    4. If i am to use a bloody long cable does anyone know where i can obtain a fairly cheap long one?
    5. Does anyone have a 2 month free trial code to get me going as the one i got with the x-box expired in the summer!!!
    6. Is there anything else i need to worry about apart from the lack of sleep i will be getting?
    I think thats it for now.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I can't believe how many people I know are buying Xboxes/joining Live recently! Welcome, mate, I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

Good choice ;)
    Well, if you've a couple of quid to spend, wireless is the way to go for you. To do this, you need a wireless router to connect to your broadband connection - have a look at this list of Live compatable routers. Then you need an adapter to connect to the Xbox. All in about £100 new for both.
    I was supposed to tell NTL (and pay more), but I didn't and it works fine for me. You'll be fine if you use a router, if you don't I don't know.
    If you want a long cable, get one from eBuyer.com or similar. Not expensive.
    There's a sticky thread at the top of this section for just this. I'm afraid I've given all mine out to my mates who are newcomers.
    No, that's prob your main worry - apart from racking your brain to find a decent Gamertag. See you online!

3. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    errm if you have a wife you better the divorce papers ready, cos they don't like you spending most of your time with us lot on live. ;)

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Youve been getting really flashy with your posts recently Lorenzini - from now on you shall be known as 'Quote King'

5. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Lorenzini........look forward to getting the live experience....could do with limiting my spends so will give the router a miss and go direct with the cable....any idea of where i can get a cheap 20 meter cable from?

ps-don't worry about the divorce as am recently single so only have my own conscience to worry about!!!!