X Box Live Connection - This Is Daft!

crowncd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just bought the wireless adaptor to use with my new X Box 360, plugged it in but when I run the set up test it says the adaptor is not connected.
The red light is on on the adaptor and it seems to be plugged in OK. I've unplugged it several times and re-started the console several times but just can't get past this first stage of the set up process.
Please, can someone help?
Many thanks.

mmmmmm try going to your setting on the box see if there is a setting on there .. i dont remember having to change anything in there but i might be wrong.. even if you look in there you should be able to scan for wireless near your xbox any way .. have a gander and if . if not let me know and ill check the settings on mine for ya

I'm using a Netgear DG834PN modem router which works great with the computer in the same room.
The strange thing is that the X Box isn't even recognising that the adaptor is plugged into the back of it even though the red light is on.

Thanks for the suggestions so far but I'm not making much progress. The X Box connection test - the first test on the list - is actually saying that the adaptor is disconnected. I know it's not and the red light on the back of the adaptor is showing red as it should. Surely I need the adaptor to be recognised before I can start to put in the ISP details etc?

Have you tried unplugging your Xbox for a few minutes, or checking you haven't got dust or something in your USB port?

Have you connected it to your network before you do the connection test?

Click on the wireless settings part in network settings then select your network and put in security settings then test the live connection.

I think I'm beginning to understand this now. I need to put in my wireless connection information. Am I right in saying that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 ? I have an IP Address although I'm not sure which digits to use at the end. Is there any information I need to key in?
I do appreciate everyones help.

I think I'm beginning to understand this now. I need to put in my wireless connection information. Am I right in saying that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 ? I have an IP Address although I'm not sure which digits to use at the end. Is there any information I need to key in?
I do appreciate everyones help.

No you don't

When you go to the networks setting you should see the screen divided into 3, the bottoms section being the wireless adaptor. If the adaptor is connected you can select the wireless tab and then search for the network/add security settings, if the adaptor isn't detected this is greyed out.

It seems to be a common issue now that wireless adaptors aren't detected by the console, I have had mine years with no issue, but lots of people who just bought them are having issues.

if the adaptor isn't detected this is greyed out.

It seems to be a common issue now that wireless adaptors aren't detected by the console, I have had mine years with no issue, but lots of people who just bought them are having issues.

This is exactly what is happening. Is it a hardware problem with the xbox or the adapter do you think? What would be the best course of action?

Well people who have mentioned the issue say that replacements don't work.

I have an original wireless adaptor(one of the first batch), and as I said it has been fine.

Of those with issues, many seem to think that the USB connections on their 360 aren't right, so it could very well be the USB connection on the 360s as I can't see why MS would have changed the wireless adaptor, but the 360 motherboard has been changed several times.
However I am currently using an Elite Falcon manufactured in December after the RRoD and this has had no issue with the adaptor.

How old is your console and adaptor, as this may help to narrow down the issue.

Mattclarkie, I bought the console about a week ago and the wireless adaptor yesterday, Tuesday.
As you said, the bottom third of the screen is just greyed out and I just can't make any progress.
Would you think it's the console that's at fault or the adaptor?
Both items were bought from Game and I obviously still have the receipts.

might be best to take the wireless adp back to game and say it dont work . get a new one and then you can find out if its the box.i think the light on the back of mine is green

It is easier to take the adaptor back first, then if that doesn't work then the console.

The problem is if the 2nd adaptor is actually defective then the plan falls over.

Have you tried the other USB ports on the console to see whether it works in them. You could also plug it into a PC and see if the PC detects it plugged in, it wont work, but the PC should detect that something is plugged into the USB port.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I took the wireless adaptor back to Game and got a replacment. Plugged it in and it worked like a dream. Just a bit of bad luck I suppose!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom