1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X Box live and BT broadband - a few quick and (hopefully!) easy questions

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by Godzooky, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your response on my recent thread re: Broadband suppliers.

If I order BT broadband, do I need to buy the router at £99 as well? I thought that you only needed a router for a shared connection between the PC, modem and X Box. As I am happy just to unplug the cable from the PC and put it into the X box and will never need to use them both at the same time am I right that I do not need a router?

Also, my home PC is technically challenged at the moment and not up and running. Will there be a problem during the install because I do not have a PC working?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Godzooky

As a minimum you need an ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection. Why ethernet? Well, to plug in your Xbox directly or to plug a router into it with the Xbox and PC connected to the router.

The router is only required if you wish to connect multiple pieces of kit (Xbox and PC say) to use the BB connection together without having to plug and unplug cables.

Just ensure the ADSL modem you get has an ethernet (and most likely will have USB as well) connection.

3. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I got BT Broadband, I went with the modem they suggested over the phone, a BT Voyager. However this only had a USB connection, no ethernet. The only way I could connect my XBox was by internet connection sharing, but as my PC is s***e it kept crashing and I'd lose my XBox connection. So I bought a Speedtouch 530, which has ethernet and USB and works fine.

Cheers
    Rich