1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box live and barred X-Boxes?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Mr_Wistles, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Hello,

I have a couple of questions about Xbox Live,

1. I see a number of people talking about the speed of their connection being "1", how do I determine the speed of my connection.

2. My X-Box is chipped, how great is the danger of having my X Box barred?, has anyone had this happen?, once it is barred is that the end of it?, will I have to buy a new X Box or can it be un-barred?

Thanks a lot for looking

Russell

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Until a couple of days ago the chances of getting a ban were negligible provided you were sensible enough to disable your chip before going onto Live, unfortunately this is no longer the case...

Since the 9th a new ban policy has been in place and how/if you can avoid a ban isn't yet clear. It would appear that MS are now able to scan/compare HD and eeprom values to determine whether or not items have been changed (at least this is the current theory). If you have a "non-stock" HD they can tell, if you've flashed your eeprom at any point (the previous way of "unbanning" yourself), they can tell... you get the idea.

See here for more information (the link in that thread takes you to the discussion topic on the current state of banning - interesting reading :)).

The simple answer (for now at least), is to use a different Xbox for Live.

K.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    It seems to be the case that if Live detects you have changed your EEPROM, ie it does not match with their database, then you get banned. What I cannot seem to find is if this means that I will be banned - I have a softmodded box so I can do HiDef.

Anyone any thoughts? If I switch back to the PAL EEPROM can I then get around this? Or am I just being paranoid?

EDIT: Well, looks to me like I'm going to be the AV Forums guinea pig. I am going to log on this afternoon and cross fingers. I'm getting the impression that its just people with upgraded hard drives that get banned.

4. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The current theory behind the halo2 game causing banning, seems that you only get banned if you swap your HD after you first go onto XBL with a given Xbox.

5. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I got Halo 2 yesterday and mine is Soft-Modded to run Hi-Def. I was on Live last night for a good couple of hours, no problems at all. Other than my ass getting kicked that is :rotfl:
    Did get a little concerned when the first thing it done was download a new Live update though :rolleyes:

Also make sure you check out your stats ar Bungie.net, superb stuff!

:offtopic:
    Hi-Def widescreen mode shoots the screen way left, luckily on my Pannie PW6 there is a the option to adjust the picture position to a great degree, but i'm not sure everyone will have this option!!

Giz.

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    So far so good. Been on Live for 2 hours, and no hint of a problem. :clap: