1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x-box link games free over broadband internet with xbconnect

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Rob.Screene, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks to the excellent advice of harrisuk, last night I played my first online Halo x-box internet game.

This is thanks to some free gateway software from www.xbconnect.com which allows X-box link games which are not necessarily x-box live enabled to play over broadband internet for free, without a x-box live subscription.

As Halo isn't x-box live enabled and I don't have any x-box live enabled games to justify a x-box live subscription, this is quite a revelation for me!

From what I gathered, you need 128K upstream and downstream bandwidth minimum per player on you x-box. Installation is clean and simple. It allows you to easily join existing servers, tag friends and even host a game (again limited to you upload bandwidth i.e 256Kbps=2 internet players???)

I did find most of the server hosts listed for Halo were french or german and I think some stipulated at least 2 players on your x-box (split screen) otherwise you get "kicked" some also seem to kick you if you don't answer a non-english language question, probably something like "are you spanish?". Perhaps this relates to the war effort, network lag issues or just plain poor international relations, I'm not sure!

My tag is Fluff100, so please look out for me in the list if I host a game.

So, anyone else playing on this wonderful service? What's your tag then and when do you go online?

I've added a poll to make the thread more interesting!
    regards,
    Rob.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'd say anyone with an X-box, broadband, a PC with 2 net cards or one and a network hub would be criminal not to try this out.

In order to avoid having to run a cat5 cable in to my HTPC room, I tried using my wireless laptop (802.11b), running the xbconnect software, clicking host, then connecting the x-box via a crossover cable straight in to the laptop's 10/100 lan network connector.

Would you believe it, it works!

The pings seem to be as low as 40ms-80ms. I just got off hosting a 50 kill game with "neo@clone" or something similar who trounced my 50 to 17. But god, was it fun!

Amazingly fluid gameplay, no noticeable skips or slowdowns at all, with 5.1 sound and a whole 7ft 16:9 wide screen! This beats broadband PC Unreal Tournament and UT2003 for atmosphere for me. Did I mention I was impressed.

Link connection:
    1) X-box link port via cross-over cable in to Laptop 10/100lan port.
    2) Laptop running win 2000 pro and xbconnect
    3) Laptop wireless 802.11b netgear pcmcia card.
    4) 30ft of fresh air.
    5) 802.11b netgear access point (64-bit wep) in to rp11 websafe router/firewall (with the required 860<mumble> port directed to my laptop IP to allow game hosting, as per very clear instructions)
    6) cat5 cable from router wan port in to NTL cable modem!

X-box Live say wireless broadband is not supported, but it seems to work well here, so far.

I think running xbconnect on the HTPC itself with Dscaler running last night caused large ping time problems, but I'm not totally sure.

regards,
    Rob.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This setup is fairly similar to mine. I have my NTL BB connection going into a DSL router down stairs. This connects to my laptop (Which I use for setting up the games) My xbox and my Desktop P.C which is upstairs.

My Xbox is hooked up to my 42" Plasma. I dont have any problems with lag really. From my experience I have found the following.

(1) Joining games.l 128k upstream is more than adequate for lag free gaming on xbconnect. I have joined games with 12 people playing. No lag providing the host has enough bandwidth which for 8 - 12 people is a 1 meg line at least. I am finding more and more people are getting this level of service. I only have the 600k line but the the prices of this are really coming down, you can now get an NTL 1 meg line for £34 a month.

(2)Hosting games. 128k upstream should be enough to host up to 4 people no problems. I have had 6 with no lag at all but they were all UK / dutch / scandinavian users which I find is the best for lag / idiot free gaming. Having said that I have hosted a 4 player game vs some Australians, amazingly no lag !

(3) Number of users per xbox. As far as I know there are no limits on this. Before my mate went to Australia traveling we both play on mine loads with several games against 1 other xbox with 2 - 3 users. I have found it quite commom to play split screen games their seem to be alot of people playing host 2 to 3 players on their boxes. THis may have changed recently but I am not aware of it.

(4) I agree this is miles better than Unreal on xbox live. More tactics more fun more action. Can you drive round in a dirty great big tank shelling the oposition base whilst your friend sits on the side machine gunning the opposition in UT ? I think not but you can in Halo !

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    thanks.
    I must have misread somwhere. I'll up my setting to allow 4-6 players when hosting then.

I'm sure I'll be playing shortly!

regards,
    Rob.

5. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XBConnect - an incredible piece of software. My first experiences with it were in november last year when I ran a cable downstairs from a hub to the PC with another to an the Xbox from the hub.

It worked brilliantly (all this despite the fact I had to run up and down stairs every game :zonked: ) and I soon improved, playing 2/3 hours a night and I joined a clan. At christmas I got Xbox Live and my interest in playing Halo on Xbconnect faded as I got into Unreal.

However, I hosted another LAN party near the start of March and I loved it, so I started up again, this time everything hooked up to the router we got for Live and a few pcs. This time I had a PC in the same room as the Xbox and it improves it a lot meaning I can keep an eye on the computer while still playing..

I joined a capture the flag match on sunday.. it was class, there was a great host and we had lag-free 4v4s. We won 5-1 :D :smashin:

That game alone lasted 1 and a half hours... we then got whipped against some l33t players from Sweden in a 2v2, but we learned many tips from them.

XbConnect is class, mostly because of Halo. Halo rocks.

I'd love to play some people on here.. :).. add me to your list, I am registered as:
    B1ot

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yea I am well up for that. And it sounds like ou can play a bit :smoke:

7. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you are HarrisUK...?

Add me :)

8. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys I'm registered as mikeq. Still got a lot to learn on the game front, but there is only one way to learn:lesson:

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  10. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john87 = B1ot
    mikeq = mikeq
    harrisuk = harrisuk
    Rob.Screene = Fluff100

I will add you all when I get back from work experience :)