1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X BOX LAUNCH

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Zone, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    North American launch due for Nov 15th, can't wait, screen shots look amazing, my kidz are gonna have a good Christmas, no honest it is for them, it is really. :rolleyes:

Si

2. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Of course it is zone, what games have they asked you to order with it? ;)

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Reserved it at ukxbox.com for £20 no mention of any games you have to buy with it, I'll wait and see,the ones I (I mean the kidz really fancy)are Halo,Shrek,Oddworld and Starwars, but to be honest they all look pretty good. I do prefer the xbox over the game cube, saw some screenshots of Link for the new Zelda game and I wasn't impressed at all, but then again its game play that counts not looks.

Si

4. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Not an X-Box fan.

Think it's gonna bomb.

Don't waste your money.

Get Gamecube.

IMHO. ;)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X-Box will be worth getting just for Dead or Alive 3, it looks incredible and the gameplay is rumoured to match the looks! The gamecube is for kids and it's got a pathetic launch lineup, maybe the US launch will be better but so far I can't see any reason to get a gamecube instead of the X-box.

Andy

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have a gamecube on order but am seriously considering X-box also. I am just waiting to see how the games turn out first, at least with Nintendo you are and always have been guaranteed some quality gameplay.

Zone, don't be too quick to judge Zelda on cube from screenshots, I have seen movie footage of it running and it looks amazing. Even having seen it in action, I have a hard time linking the still images with how I know it actually is. It is a really weird thing, but even now, I see screenshots and have to remind myself how much better it is up and running. Of course, the real acid test is how it plays, but have we ever had a Zelda game that plays badly?

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Take your point Bish, it is difficult to judge a games actual look and feel from screen shots alone, and in its defence the screen shots of the Mario game I've seen looked very good, but again just to emphasise, a game is much more than cosmetics.I just hope there's been alot of thought,ingenuity and fresh ideas put into all these new games and we're not gonna get fobbed off again with beautiful looking but poorly executed old remakes of existing games.Fingers crossed eh?

Si

8. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard the UK launch wont be until March... anyone got any firm information on this?

Mark.

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Offically due to reach our shores early 2002, what early means exactly is anyones guess,expect to be paying £250ish($299 in the US).I just hope Microsoft dont mess up like the other big players have in the past with delays and shortages.Just to let you know as well, the xBox wont play DVD's straight from the box but there will be an add on that will be available seperately and will also be available at launch, can't see that being a problem for people here, it is a games machine after all :D

Si

10. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Zone, one thing that Miyamoto usually excells in is thought and ingenuity, or is that two things?

Glad you made the point about games being much more than their cosmetics, as gameplay will always be the most important aspect. I am guessing you, like myself are a long term player. A lot of the new breed get swept away by the audio visual elements too easily, obviously they are important but I can handle a poorer looking/sounding game if it plays like a dream. Only thing holding me back on the X-Box is some hands on playing and waiting for some reviews. The reviews I have seen from Japan and now filtering into the UK press have all been very favourable towards the Nintendo launch games.

This is certainly an exciting time to be into video games.

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    See previous mentions of X-BOX for my ( backed up with evidence ) thoughts of why its just a CD32 for 2001

12. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Duncan, I'm a little confused,I dont understand where your going with that, surely the xbox is a natural progression of the Amiga, its basically a dedicated PC for playing games on after all! [​IMG]

Si

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    Well like I have said before, I was clearing out he attic and found loads of computer mags from about the time that the CD32 was in its " almost launched " phase. In a box next to these bags was by used very little CD32

Reading hrough these articles everything reads exactly the same as the articles being written about the X-BOX

14. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too remember the CD32 and what a sad specimen it was. I bought an Amiga 500 in early 1989 and upgraded to a 1200 in 93. Cant remember exactly when the CD32 came out but it was a clear indication of the "thinking" at Commodore at the time. First of all they launched the CDTV (probably from the same "think tank" that gave us the CBM 16 and plus 4).

The styling was so obviously based on the mega drive - with the tacky "32 bit" emblazoned on it. No real thought had gone into it - witness only allowing 1k for saved games... er yeah - gaming hadnt advanced since the ZX81?

At the time some magazines were calling for a CD based Amiga, and wanted it to be CD only - ie no floppy in order to kickstart the market - right so no way to save files - hmm thats a good idea. This was the same magazine which said that software houses were "committed" to bringing software out at a below £20 price point - yeah right...

IIRC these were magazines published by Future who were and are notorious for hyping without thinking.

Whether the X Box is another CD32 remains to be seen. Personally I doubt it - Commodore were on their last legs when they gave us the CD32, whereas Microsoft are huge and significantly can afford the massive publicity campaign that will be needed and the investment in gaming.

Sony showed the way with the PS1 - eg how to capture the market from nothing and have effectively destroyed sega. I suspect the market will be big enough for the PS2 and the X Box - but will it be big enough for the gamecube as well?

15. UlricVonLichtenstien

UlricVonLichtenstien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow - someone remebers the Plus 4! there I was thinking it was all just a terrible dream!

I was the only Kid in school with a Plus 4 (Well meaning parents, I'm afraid :rolleyes: )

All that teasing - it didn't leave me scarred for life - or at least thats what my psychiatrist tells me :D

[ 16-10-2001: Message edited by: UlricVonLichtenstien ]

16. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets be honest, anyone who thinks bill gates is releasing the x-box to fail , shuld seriously think again, he,s looking to dominate.:rolleyes:

17. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I heard they were adding 3 buttons to the Xbox controller for convenience: Ctrl, Alt & Delete.

Sorry - bad joke. :eek:

18. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox is a good console, I do not thing it will fail like the CD32 did.

Don't forget that the press and public were bashing the orginal Playstation (as did I, but then realised my mistake and got one a few months later). As the PS was taking on two established Brands.

Like Sony, Microsoft are putting a lot of Money into marketing there console (WWF Survivor Series on Sunday Night is sponsored by them).
    Amgia did not, I can remember going to Comet and seeing that all they had was a very small display for the CD32, and I can't remember that many adverts for it (apart from some rain song one).

Before you bash the Xbox, spend some money on the Official Xbox Magazine as you will get a DVD showcasing the games.

Anne