1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-box is great

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by stevedowns64, Apr 1, 2002.

1. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Part exchanged my Ps2 for an X-box and it has blown me away apart from the way it looks everything about it is perfect.
    The 5.1 surround gives games an extra dimension and the graphics are pixel perfect.
    When i played on the Ps2 my thumbs ached after a while there is no such problem with the x box joypad,it fits in the hand perfectly.If there is anyone thinking about getting an xbox,do it you wont regret it

2. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did exactly the same and traded my ps2 in. I had no enjoyment from the machine. I believe an xbox, gamecube and gameboy advance is the perfect combination. Ps2 is a underpowered wretch, with little exclusives, without the surround sound and power of xbox, and without the creativity of gamecube. Therefore it's a non essential middle ground in my opinion.

I too have been blown away by xbox and it's sheer competence in visuals, sound, harddrive, multiplayer, and halo of course. PGR and JSRF are also superb.

I just hope they drop the price in europe to help sales...

3. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree the Ps2 is nothing special,the machine seems rushed,it dosent excel in any department at all

4. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Wow. :eek:

People agreeing with my sentiments exactly. :)

5. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally someone who sees my point of veiw!! Not even guys on the EDGE forum do.

Gamecube has most of the ps2's games coming out, but with far more creativity, and power. GBA link up, 4 controller ports, etc.

xbox has far more power, proper surround sound, hard drive, big potential online.

But ps2 is an inadequate middle ground with few exclusives, legions of trash, half hearted sound and visuals and half the creativity of GC. A perfect mass market machine then...

That's why i believe xbox and GC are the only 2 machines i NEED.

6. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    As poor as the PS2 is, I would stake my house on it being the number one in its generation. :(

Casual gamers hey. :rolleyes:

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'd rather be a casual gamer who's happy with his PS2 than the sort of obsessive-compulsive type the others seem to attract ;)

8. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the styling of the XBOX. OK, so its not as slim as the PS2 or as cute as GC, but in a bare knuckles fight in some dingy warehouse in the East End I'd put my money on the bruiser from Microsoft any day. If XBOX says its Friday, its Friday, I'm not going to argue with it. I'm not completely mad you know.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Confucius always says what I am thinking... It's spooky!! :p

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, spanner throwing time.;)

I had a PS2 from launch date so I would probably class myself "a compulsive buyer attracted to new items" or words to that effect. However, in 17 months, how many GOOD games can you name or claim to have played for the PS2? I can name 2 of the top of my head, 3 at a push - Wipeout Fusion (an update of a PSX game), James Bond Agent Under Fire (which took MOST of it's ideas - and sound effects from a well known N64 game) and ICO, which was probably the most original game I had ever played. Unfortunatly, I only managed to get an hour into the game before my PS 2 was sold and the xbox brought in to replace it. I've had the xbox for a week now and every night I promise myself I'm going to take it back to Game for a refund and then spend the money on General Skanky's Laserdisc player and films in the hardware forum, and every morning I can't bring myself to do it.

The games I have are as follows:

HALO - absolutly doing my nut in!! I can't get past the 2 hunters at the end of level 3 and this will be the end of the console for me - HOWEVER -

MAX PAYNE - absolutly doing my nut in!! Strange, 2 FPS doing me in. I've come to the conclusion that I am not a FPS person and have decided to exchange these games in. I'll tell you what for shortly.

DOA 3 - Beautiful looking game but is a bit shallow. Will probably also be exchanged. The only trouble is, my 7 year old daughter loves it to bits.

MUNCH'S ODDYSEE - haven't managed to get my 13 year old of this so can't really comment.

Now what to get in exchange for Halo, MP and DOA3. Looking at TONY HAWK'S 3, JET SET RADIO FUTURE and 1 other but not quite sure what yet. Good job I buy all my kit from Game, they do a 10 day no questions asked exchange or refund.

11. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is unfair to do direct comparisons between the PS2, GC and XBOX. The PS2 has been out for 18 months in this country now. I am still getting a lot of enjoyment out of my PS2. GTA3 and Pro Evolution Soccer are the best games I have played in the last 6 months. Also, it's about half the price of an XBOX at the moment.

The XBOX has shown a lot of potential in it's launch games but it'll be interesting to see what comes out over the next 6 months.

The Gamecube has some great franchises like Mario and Zelda but so did the N64! They seem to have got things right this time with developers like EA signing up and decent support of Europe.

Personally, I don't care which of the machines I play on as long as the games are good. That's why I keep my Dreamcast for Soul Calibur and PSO and N64 for GoldenEye and Zelda:OOT as well as the newer machines.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Devil May Cry
    Ico
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    007: Agent Under Fire
    Gran Turismo 3
    Wipeout Fusion
    Pro-Evolution Soccer
    Half-Life
    Jak & Daxter
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Red Faction
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    SSX Tricky
    Silent Hill 2

Plus, coming soon:

Vexx
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
    Turok Evolution

;) :p

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never actually said that the xbox was better than the PS2. It is different.

Look at the list of games above. How many of them have a number after them ie a sequel. As I also said earlier, ICO was the most original game I had played for a long while. I hope it makes an appearance on my new console.

HOWEVER, since I have had the xbox, my thumbs and wrists don't ache like they used to after a 2 hour sesh on the PS2, and it is a lot easier on the eye as most of the games run at 60 hz (as far as I am aware). I used to suffer from headaches after an hour on wipeout fusion. Boosted up to 60 hz, this may not have happened.

I hope this isn't going to turn into an argument. Each to their own as they say.

To change the subject, anybody got any opinions on TH3 or JSRF?

14. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus Christ, don't trade in your xbox as well! As for the games: The best 3 are halo, JSRF and Project gotham racing. The latter has been a pleasant suprise. It's absolutly the best racing game i have ever played. You will need to be patient though. The better you get, the morer rewarding it is. As for halo, try and have the perseverence. iT'S QUITE SHAMEFUL IF YOU GIVE UP AFTER LEVEL THREE! And the co-op mode is superb.

Try not to be so brash about trading stuff in.

15. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    JSRF is excellent. Has managed to divert me from Halo and Ico which is saying something.

Haven't got THPS3 yet but it is next on my list. I'll let you know.

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Absolutely. I wasn't being argumentative in the slightest, I was just answering your question! I love the PS2, but I think the XBox looks awesome - JSRF, Halo, and Munch's Oddyssey look absolutely fantastic. I was gutted when I heard that the Oddworld games were not coming out on the PS2 :(

(Still think Game Cube is a baby's toy though!! :p )

17. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have oddworld,it was the first game i put into my xbox.Ive played it for about 8hours and i think its brilliant.I havent even put Halo in the machine yet

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey. Army Bloke what are you like mate. Don't think you would make it into the SAS.

My recommendation would be to sick all your games on easy mode (girls blouse mode - not trying to be derogitory about girls blouses before any one gets annouyed)

Hunters are a handful. I would recommend throwing all you grenades at them as soon as you see them and run backwards emptying your bullets into them. If you run out of the room and though a door they don't follow (they've never followed me through a door anyway). You can get your health back as well as pick up more weapons before going in for another assault.

Amped is a good game if you're a natural under achiever :D

19. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I found the best way to nail them is to wait until the rush forward, strafe to the side and turn round so you are looking at their back then unload into their back where they have no armour. Gets a bit difficult if you are in a confined space.

Got two mates coming over this weekend for a look. Aahhh victims!!!:D

20. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was referring to you giving up rather than the actual act of playing :D ...

Although as you say, Halo is much better than the real thing 'cos ya don't get dirty or hurt ...apart from the eye strain and headaches.

Sounds like it might be a completely different game on easy mode.... Might give it a go.