X-Box (If you have a PC??)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Moncs, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't worry I know tons of these tpe questions have been asked before. However

What are people's opinons on 'If you have a decent PC, should you buy an X-Box??' and if so why?

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'd better not see any mention of the PS2 or Gamecube in this thread, got it? :D

Advantages of XBox over high-end PC:
    -works with that brand new widescreen TV you've got
    -no installation or patching of games required
    -exclusive games, or games that are released earlier than their PC counterparts (Halo, Splinter Cell, etc)
    -no hardware conflicts/annoyances as the games are built to run on the same spec machines
    -fast powerup
    -integrated 5.1 sound without messing with soundcards or drivers
    -XBox Live is very easy to setup and dive into
    -much, much, much cheaper
    -4 controller ports makes it great for party games

Advantages of high-end PC over XBox:
    -cheaper games
    -PC monitors (usually) have better resolution than TV screens
    -wider range of games available
    -does all the PC stuff as well
    -a good PC will outperform any console with regards to speed/graphics processing
    -in some cases, patches are a good thing
    -add-on packs available for some games
    -mouse/keyboard more accurate for FPS

Most of these advantages and disadvantages could be applied to any console, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of others. Personally, I bought my XBox before I got my monster PC. Now that I've got both, however, I use both pretty equally; it depends on what I'm in the mood for. Had I already had a PC, then I think It'd still have bought an XBox. Right now, the XBox is underpriced when you look at the hardware that's gone into it, not to mention the great Xmas game bundles.

Like most of these type of discussions, it all comes down to what games you are looking to play.

3. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Azrikam

I already have a PS2 and GC (sorry to mention them :) )
    and was thinking of completing the set, as you say nothing
    beats a keyboard and mouse for FPS and patches and updates
    can be handy..... decisions decisions

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Depends on your budget really and how much you like fiddling!

There is a game difference also, you will not find arcade games like DOA3, DOA Volleyball, GT2002, JSR, Blinx etc. coming to a PC anytime soon.

Likewise, you will not find most strategy games, simulation games (mechwarrior, combat flight simulator), RPG games or some FPS games going to the X-Box. Or if they do arrive, due to control methods and lower resolution (a killer in RTS games) they will not be as good.

Also the PC is a lot better for mods and new game types, like Massive Multiplayer Online Games (MMOG). Plus you get to play most games in demo form to try before you buy.

If you have at least a grand to spare and a little time then get a PC, if you want an easy option get the X-Box.

5. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    For me it is all about control.

Fighting (DOA3), adventure (Silent Hill 2) and driving games (GT2002) I would rather play on the XBox rather than the PC as I find them much easier to control and they look better on the widescreen T.V.

Simulation games (MW), FPS (MOHAA) and RTS (Baldurs Gate) etc I find much easier to play on a P.C.

Most of the XBox type P.C. controllers I have come across have been pretty cheap and nasty. The XBox is also much more of a social machine for playing games against friends over a few beers.

The P.C. can't (at the moment) be beaten for patches which allow developers to add new requests as well as fix bugs rather than having to wait for the next version of the game to come out to fix a problem.

Cheers
    RB

6. trent24

trent24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course we are also forgetting that an XBOX only costs £159.99 (RRP).

XBOX Live rocks big time BTW :)

Trent24

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

As a programmer I am not afraid of computers and have a high spec PC. So why did I buy an X-Box?

Ease of use, I get so frustrated with PCs when trying to run some games and there is so much variation in hardware/drivers etc that it just becomes a pain in the proverbial.

With an X-Box I know I can just turn it on put the game in and voila. Plus it is easier to hook up my X-Box to the plasma:D

Mike

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes a PC is potentially more powerfull than an XBOX but PC game developers are always a year behind the current PC hardware. During the entire reign of DX8 on the PC only about 5 games were actually made with it's features, the rest were still on DX7, Now were onto DX9 you can bet your bottom dollar that most games will be using DX8's features. Doom 3 however looks flippin awesome on the PC, you'll need a super PC to run that game at say 50 fps with a high resolution and eye candy maxed.

It's oh so simple and pleasing with the XBOX, it's my main gaming machine now and I use the PC for first person shooters like DF or strategy games like Sudden Strike II which will never be released on the XBOX as you really need a keyboard and mouse.

9. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think alot of people here are giving advice on buying an xbox instead of a gaming PC, what was asked was aswell as a gaming PC.

If I had a gaming PC

Not too sure if I would buy an Xbox as I will never build a gaming pc again

If I had a choice between a gaming PC / Xbox

For the past couple of years I've stopped building gaming PC's and opted for consoles instead, keeping the PC for work only, here's why (re. Xbox)

1. Running games on a PC IMO usually ends up with less stability due to constant driver updates etc. plus the incompatiblity with NT os'es.

2. No problems with different platform configurations, far less likely to not run correctly.

3. No patches, less bugs, generally a higher standard. (saying that MotoGP has been 'patched' on xbox)

4. No advantage given to players on higher spec machines

5. Library better suited to my taste (racing/beat em up etc.)

6. Ability to use my HT setup, bigger screen.

7. Comfy chair

8. More sociable, mulitplayer in one room.

9. Better online, broadband only (IMO)

10. Better gamepads

11. Much, much cheaper. No upgrade bug

think that's it :blush:

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I've been a 'PC gamer' for several years now and recently decided to get an X-Box.

I was fed up with constantly having to update my PC hardware just to play the latest games :mad:

Not to mention the fact that video card drivers are always being updated (and not always for the better!) as well as patches etc.

Since i've had my X-Box (2 weeks), I havent played a single game on the PC.

What I like about the XB, and was unaware of this when I bought it, is that most games are in 16:9 and all are in DD5.1 and NO slow ups whatsoever.

Despite PCs having better graphics capapabilities (if you can always afford the lastest video card on a bi-annual basis!), you can't beat a console for ease of use, comfort and FAST gameplay.

11. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I have a playstation 2 and gamecube, i only play on playstation 2 because i like vice city and pro socer evouloution. I have a top spec PC and i wont buy an xbox. i had an xbox before but sold it because they dont have any game exclusive that i like and that is the reason why people buy a machine because they want a game they can not play on any other machine.

I know halo and project gotham raceing are exclusive but halo and splitter cell is are comeing out on PC soon. I did think about buying an xbox for £200 but the question is do i want to spend £200 on a console or do i use £200 to get radeon 9700 graphics card, i chose to upgrade my pc instead.

I like shoot em ups and championship manager and games like mafia and kingping these games are best on PC. I think drivieng games and sport games oh and fighting games are best on console.
    The only fighting game i like is soul calibre only driveing games i like are burnout and project gotham raceing and best football game is pro evouloution socer so i personally dont think i need an xbox

12. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox is not a bad console, but a console ismake by franchise, for example the first PS(1) have his own franchise Crash Bandicott, and what is the franchise of Cboc Halo?!?!

I have a PC 700MHz a Nvidia GeForce 2 64mb, 512ram, with windows.

Right now i have an Xbox but MY is better than yours xbox :) .