1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box - How to get S-Video and optical

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by TobyAnscombe, Mar 6, 2002.

1. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

Yes, finally succomed to peer pressure and have ordered an Xbox, however, prior to it arriving (we hope) on the 15th can somebody explain how to get S-Video AND optical out of it ?

Whilst I have seen the RGB cable that has optical out on it I have yet to see an equiv. S-Video lead.

Before anyone says get the RGB version, I would but I already have an S-Video switch with my DVD, PC, PSX2 running and I use my only RGB SCART for my digi-box. As I am away during the week I don't want to make it too complicated for she who must be obayed - the fact that she has to use an amp, digibox and tv (of, course all with different controllers! - it's an NTL digibox) is bad enough, let alone the instructions I have to leave out for anyone cat sitting - but I digress.....

So, any ideas ?

2. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will still need to get the fully wired RGB Scart as you will need the optical connection.

Then you will need to buy an RGB to S Video converter and this would then hook to your S Video socket on the TV.

Regards

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that's the case. I have seen something called the 'Advanced AV pack' which has composite audio and video, an Svid female socket and what looks to me like an optical output. It definately says digital audio output anyway and there's no way it's coax on the piccy I've got. Priced at £19.99 don't ask me where you get it but I would imagine most big game shops will stock it. Happy hunting.

Steve

4. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You are right paiger. There is an advance AV pack that have an S-Video socket and an optical output. However I have only seen this available from US sites and stores. I suspect after the release date Game,EB ect will begin stocking.

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is nothing in the UK Specification notes to say the cable is S Video. I was aware that the Advanced AV Scart was fully wired RGB Scart only.

Further the only adio cable to connect is Optical.

6. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ahhh but the good old US of A in their version of the advanced av lead seems to have just what I am looking for - any one know if any UK distributers have picked it up or reccomend a *good* us based web supplier who will not charge a fortune to ship a $19.95 cable accross the pond ?

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toby, I would caution against buying such a thing yet. I reckon you will get the UK equivalent once thw xbox is launched. The magazine I have seen has 3 packs listed. The Advanced AV Pack which has Svid, optical audio and composite AV. The RGB Scart AV Pack which has a scart output ans optical audio and a US only high def AV pack. I assume the Svid and RGB will be on sale in the UK from the 14th. Don't panic dude, it'll probly be in the shops here before your import turns up.

S

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and that's true.....hic...

9. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I will have a US Official S Video pack available next week (when I replace it with my RGB lead). All the indies near me reckon the RGB leads will be on sale from Monday/Tuesday. So hopefully could the S Video lead to someone by the weekend.

So if anyone interested, please mail me at jonmcwill@aol.com