1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X box - Hidef.How do you do it!?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by JiMbOb_74, Feb 13, 2005.

1. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an unmodded uk xbox and have heard you can run in hi def. Is it possible with an un modded xbox.. I am running component cables into my panasonic plasma

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    Hi Jimbob
    You need a soft or hard mod .Do a search , there has been a couple of mahoosive threads recently ,on both methods
    Atb
    JS

3. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks...will it effect live if I do a soft mod..sorry if i am asking same questions as other people...

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Yes it will effect live if you mod your xbox, you can get a mod chip that you can disable for live but i dont know if M$ can still detect this though.

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    If you soft mod then NO it won't affect live. MAYBE if you fit a mod-chip

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Most softmod methods will bar you from live as they overwrite the bios used on the xbox without the option to easily revert. There are a couple of methods that allow you to retain *unmodded* xbox status however these have very limited functionality.

A modchip will allow you to switch between bioses without banning from live. However, there is the possibility that over time Microsoft will be able to detect modchips, even when they are switched off. Thus even though modchips are absolutely fine with live at the moment, there is the possibility they will not be OK in the future.

7. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I have a friend who is gettin an action replay memory card and an original of splinter cell..there is some way of tricking the xbox into thinking its a usa box .... It sounds ok and people have said it doesnt effect live

Anyone tried the above(Dont exactly know how and why! Just what I have been told)
    :dd: :thumbsdow :dts: :smashin:

8. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the softmod this way too, with splinter cell and and action reply card. I loaded something on my xbox and i now have a choice of a few different dash's. It also installed the video switcher. Setup works fine and i can still play all of my games and DVDs with no problems but have been holding off using live incase i get banned. Anyone know if i will or not with the above modifications?

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    jimbob and djsat you will both be fine with what you have done for playing on 'live'. i did mine ages ago and so have several other people on this forum with no problems whatsoever.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Just chip it, that doesn't affect live (providing you turn it off ;) when you go on). The thing that gets you banned is if you swap HD's after subscribing to Live. Mine's chipped with a 120gb HD (installed before live setup) and I have no probs on Live.

11. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    regarding the hidef though, if you chip /softmod to run the enigmah video mode switching tool (to set the xbox to ntsc so you can enable the hidef) you will effectively have an ntsc xbox. Then, if your chip is off, the xbox will be in ntsc mode and will not play genuine retaiil pan games you have purchased. And for live compatability, you cannot run wiht a modchip or softmod on.

The end result...either buy all your games as ntsc, set the xbox eeprom to ntsc, enable hidef, power off modchip, go on live.

you wont be able to have hidef, mod off, and play pal games.

12. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how come Hi Definition is not available from the PAL XBox.....I know it's not, but is there a reason for this?

thanks

David

13. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm am afraid you are mistaken. I have done this and can play all PAL retail games on live including Halo2 without a problem. Maybe it's something to do with the quality of the chip and bios installed but I don't have any problems playing PAL games with a HIDEF pack connected and set to NTSC. My games run perfect in 480p no problems and I have enabled 720p just in case, and the normal xbox dash shows the options with the chip off.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yes I can second this - all of my Pal games also work apart from Men Of Valor which only works when set to PAL. I have Halo2, PES4, Topspin, Chron's of Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, Outrun2, XIII, PGR2, Panzer Dragoon & Soul Calibur 2 and all of those work either in 480p (or in the case of SC2) in 720p with my Hi Def pack connected, the box set to NTSC and my chip off. :thumbsup:

15. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes me too, i modded mine with the enigmah thing and i can still play all my old PAL games fine as well as a few NTSC ones i bought. Actually Time Splitters 2(PAL) wont work but i finshed that game anyway so i dont care!

16. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71

Go Obi.. Go Obi......Go Obi..... :hiya: :smashin:

Matt

17. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a pal game specified to run only in pal xbox will not run on an ntsc xbox unless your mod is active (tsop flash or whatever flavour you choose)

What is happening however is that you have games bought in a pal region which arent region specific. i.e. mechassault is an "all region" game. When the xbe gets signed, there is a region code added, if the xbe is signed multiregional then you will be ok, if the xbe is signed pal only, you will have no luck

Of course, no need to believe me without some backup... :)

http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/xbe.html
    <snip>
    Game Region Game region for this .XBE. For example:

#define XBEIMAGE_GAME_REGION_NA 0x00000001
    #define XBEIMAGE_GAME_REGION_JAPAN 0x00000002
    #define XBEIMAGE_GAME_REGION_RESTOFWORLD 0x00000004
    #define XBEIMAGE_GAME_REGION_MANUFACTURING 0x80000000
    </snip>

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Most games are multiregion though (it would seem) so this isn't a problem really. As I mentioned, I only have 1 game (Men of Valor) that needs playing on a PAL setting.

19. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    So you the person who bought that excuse for a finished game!

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    My bro got me it as a gift, but it's actually pretty good TBH. Played it quite a bot with my mate - there's a really good map with a church in the middle and it's surrounded by swampland & rubbish. It's the only FPS i've played where you can really make full use of the scenery & foliage etc to hide. The only problem is that it's pointless when you're both on the same console as you can just look on the other players screen to see where he is. Good on Live though! :thumbsup: