1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-box experts - Kramer needs your help :)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Kramer, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, read the FAQs & done a bit of goooogling, but it's a minefield - x-box information that is :D

Thinking of getting an x-box (am a PC gamer you see).

Requirments:
    Modded/chipped (whatever) for backing up to the HDD
    Hi-def compatible (i.e. play both NTSC & PAL etc.)
    Big HDD installed (can do this myself).

Basically, I want an all singing, all dancing, do everything, play everything type of deal.

All this talk of Exectuter, mod chips, region changing, locked drives, bannings in x-box live is a tad confusing :confused:

Any help appreciated.

:smoke:

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Kramer,
    Order a box from these guys:

www.londonconsole.com - they are the nuts, I believe they will do drive upgrades etc.

Just remember to switch off the mod if you go on live.

Neil.

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

You only need something simple like an Executor Lite, it will do everything you need.

My advice is save yourself any hassle and go to premodded.co.uk, they are fast, freindly and very good.

They chip your box, and if you want put in a bigger HD (up to 120gig). It is worth having them do it as they will put all the latest applications on it too that makes chipping worthwhile.

The few quid extra for getting to do it is worth the hassle of setting it up in your PC and finding all the applications.

If you ask they will also put on all the latest emulators (MAME, Final Burn, Megadrive, SNES, N64...).

For component out and all the nice US progressive resolutions it no longer matters which Xbox you use. You just need the Videomode program (premodded will install this too) that lets you set your box to NTSC or PAL.

Set it to NTSC and you'll find the dashboard now lets you pick 480p, 720p etc..

Have a word with Messiah, he's used them too.

Cheers
    Marc

I have nothing to do with premodded, just a happy customer.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Buy a US Gamecube :p

Sorry had to get the fanboy comments in quickly :)

You do insult us PC Gamers though insinuating we only like systems with no gameplay :)

Basically X-Box Live will check your BIOS version to see if it is allowed to connect to the service. If you have a mod chip it will ban you as the BIOS will be different. However, the Executor mod chip has multiple BIOS's that you can select stored on it (up to 4). So you would have BIOS A as normal X-Box BIOS and BIOS B as mod chip BIOS. Thus when you use Live you switch to A and when you want to play your backed up/import games you use B.

This is the console you would want

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=441

Of course if you are handy with the solder iron it is not too difficult to sort out yourself, but the mod chip is over 30 quid alone. I would hang on though as the prices are supposed to drop soon.

To get the best picture you would need the Hi Def kit from the States, having no experience of this someone else can you fill you in :)

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys ;)

OK, looks like I'll get the lot from one of those two links. I'm well able to do the mods myself, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle & I'd miss out on all the preloaded goodies.

No doubt I'll be back with a few more Qs.

:smoke:

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'd wait just a little longer cos XBox price is expected to fall to £99.99 very soon and this will likley be reflected in their prices.

8. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kramer

Do you wish to use this with the online gaming option if so
    the chipped box will be of no use to U as micro use a scanning
    prog to check out your Xbox if a chip is detected you will loose your subscription

9. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    UncagedTyphoon: that's not a problem if you disable your modchip before connecting to XBoxLive - if you disable it, they have no way of detecting the chip. One word of caution is that XBLive will now update the dash to the Live Dash V2, which auto-connects to Live on startup (although this can be disabled from the menus), so you need to be extra careful with a modchip. More info at http://www.xbox-scene.com/ Of course, this is only an issue if Mr K intends using Live (which isn't really all that good - just get your mates round and enjoy a few beers ;) )

10. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im in the same boat as kramer i want a all singing x box but i dont want to go on line with it (i use my pc for that) what should i go for executor pro or lite and what is the difference between them?

cheers

stu:smashin:

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Executor lite will do everything you need. I think the Pro version allows you to load different bios versions via a connector.

I have the lite version inboth mine and also 120GB harddrives, each with something like 20+ games loaded directly on the HDD and all the MAME stuff, video select, HDD loaders etc, etc. Fantastic. So much easier than having to dig out the disc and insert/swap etc and protects the originals.