X-Box connections

J

jag

Just wondering how easy it is to hook up the X-Box to my Denon 2802 amp. Which cable is recommended?

I went to Comet and bought the Microsoft Advanced AV pack. It has an RGB scart lead to plug in the telly and also an optical out so you can connect to a DD/DTS amp via a standard optical cable and get full 5.1 Digital sound. Awesome. There are various makes on the market and also ones with component video/ optical and svideo/optical. Whatever video source you need, you should be able to find a cable that has that and optical connections. Your 2802 should have spare optical inputs that you can use.

S

I've seen a S-Video version and the official MS version which is via scart.

Now if I use scart it will have to go through one of the SCART boxes as I don't have sockets and can't be arsed to keep exchanging SCART leads everytime I want to watch a DVD.

So which will provide a better picture/solution? The tidy solution of via the SCART box or straight into the S-Video in the front of the TV?

My advice would be to go for the Joytech lead (not sure the name of it), I picked 1 of these up for £15 from Dixons and it hasn't give me any problems.

It has both RGB scart and S-video connectors and the optical digital out, this way you get the best of both worlds in whatever way you want to hook it up.

RGB scart will give you the best picture, but as you said, it means swaping leads every time you want a game unless you get a scart switcher box (make sure it's RGB compatable as some cheeper box's are not).

S-video gives a very good picture, although not as good as RGB scart it's still alot better than the composite that you get with the machine. It also has the bonus of being able to be routed through your amp if you happen to own any other S-video gear.

These are the reason's that I bought the lead (I'm currently using the S-video connection and i'm very happy with the quality), it lets you hook it up any way you want but still gives you options if you change your mind...:)

I had already ordered the MS Advanced Pack before I read your message. I currently have a cheap switching box so it won't be the best picture, but I will eventually get the expensive one that is RGB compatable.

Thanks anyway.

No probs... anytime :)

Iain - you've got the Joytech AV Digital cable which i have ordered. Did the optical lead come with it or did u have to buy one?! I need to know!!
Thanks!!

sorry to butt in, the cable comes with the optical cable as well, the only problem is the length, i had to buy the MS version because the optical cable wouldn't reach my amp.

oh and i dont believe the Joytech does auto widescreen switching the M$ one does.

Gary

oh my god !! i need widescreen switching!!! Can anyone confirm that the joytech does/doesnt please?!!
how long is the optical cable cable?

The optical cable itself is 5 feet long, not sure about widescreen switching as I have a 4:3 aspect ratio television.

stinky, when i said my optical would reach i meant that my QED optical cable would reach which is 1m long. i've done some checking and the joytech DOES NOT widescreen switch. sorry

Gary

ok i got my Joytech lead last night (after ordering from gameplay the day before-excellent service!).The XBox is an early Xmas pressy for me so i set it everything last night and WOW!!! Impressed or what!! Sega GT 2002 was fantastic in 5.1 surround!
I have a widescreen TV so set up all the relevant options(audio -surround enabled & display-widescreen) from the Xbox dashboard, and the game plays in widescreen so does this mean its ok?
The Xbox itself wouldnt auto switch on like my sky Box/DVD player but i guess thats the XBox itself. For £13 this cable is brilliant.

play HALO in 5.1 - then wonder how you lived without it in your life. the makers of the game reckon that if your 5.1 system is set you correctly you can play the game blindfold as the sound will tell you where the the bad guys are.

anyway - ENJOY!!!!

Gary

i have the xmas bundle, but won Halo from Ebay which should be here next week with luck! i cant wait - after seeing it in the shops when the xbox was released. Only thing is i have nothing to open xmas day now!!:(
Still have to get the kids sorted then play the xbox!!

Originally posted by Garyd
play HALO in 5.1 - then wonder how you lived without it in your life. the makers of the game reckon that if your 5.1 system is set you correctly you can play the game blindfold as the sound will tell you where the the bad guys are.

anyway - ENJOY!!!!

Gary

I get motion sickness, so can't play Halo, Quake etc.

I wonder if I should try Halo blindfold and see if they tell the truth or utter feeble lies!

you could take some sea sick tablets.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom