X box calibration for tv and film watching

lazy 1

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before but I have searched long and hard, and can't find it covered anywhere. I can see plenty of information on calibrating using the xbox but it all seems to be gaming related. So I was wondering how accurate it would be using the x box to adjust the brightness and contrast for film watching. I want my picture to be accurate and as close to the directors intent as possible.
I'm using the original Xbox 1 and a LG 65 C9 although really it shouldn't matter what tv is getting calibrated should it ?
Thanks for any input all help is much appreciated.

The Xbox video calibration is meant to compensate for whatever picture mode the TV is using.

The TV supports ALLM (auto game mode), LG brands it as "instant game response".

If you select the ISF Expert preset on the TV that is its most accurate out of the box picture mode.

With ALLM enabled on the console it will apply a lower latency mode to ISF Expert when you run a game, this will disable some video processing features for lower latency. Outside of game for video you get the regular ISF Expert mode.

I think the Xbox One (launch version) supports ALLM, if not you might want to get an Xbox One S via eBay which should be fairly cheap at this point.

The Xbox video calibration is meant to compensate for whatever picture mode the TV is using.

The TV supports ALLM (auto game mode), LG brands it as "instant game response".

If you select the ISF Expert preset on the TV that is its most accurate out of the box picture mode.

With ALLM enabled on the console it will apply a lower latency mode to ISF Expert when you run a game, this will disable some video processing features for lower latency. Outside of game for video you get the regular ISF Expert mode.

I think the Xbox One (launch version) supports ALLM, if not you might want to get an Xbox One S via eBay which should be fairly cheap at this point.
I used ISF dark room and using the Xbox calibration adjusted the brightness to 55 and contrast to 95.
So if I now go to an internal app on the tv e.g. Netflix and use ISF dark room and adjust the brightness and contrast to the above settings would the picture be correct and accurate.
Thanks.

I used ISF dark room and using the Xbox calibration adjusted the brightness to 55 and contrast to 95.
So if I now go to an internal app on the tv e.g. Netflix and use ISF dark room and adjust the brightness and contrast to the above settings would the picture be correct and accurate.
Thanks.
The only true accurate output so to speak would be a professional calibration done by someone.

The xbox video calibration doesn't necessarily mean its accurate it just means whatever MS engineers set as their baseline and try to compensate with what the TV is doing.

Your generally better off using the internal TV app for Netflix than using the xbox app for image quality, Netflix has some bad habits with how it treats HDR on Xbox, forces content always into HDR space even if its not, so definitely not accurate in that area.

The only true accurate output so to speak would be a professional calibration done by someone.

The xbox video calibration doesn't necessarily mean its accurate it just means whatever MS engineers set as their baseline and try to compensate with what the TV is doing.

Your generally better off using the internal TV app for Netflix than using the xbox app for image quality, Netflix has some bad habits with how it treats HDR on Xbox, forces content always into HDR space even if its not, so definitely not accurate in that area.
Sorry I did mean tv app rather than Xbox app, but yeah I understand now it actually could be way off being correct. I thought it might have been an easy way to get a slightly better picture, I feel sometimes when watching a film or tv show it can look a little dark but I'm unsure if that's how it's intended.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom