1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X box cable query

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by lynx, Dec 26, 2002.

1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What is the best cable to purchase (for best substitute cheapest ;) ) for RGB video transmition and also has a breakout for an optical take off ? :)

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I would say the Joytech Advanced Scart, about £15 i think, probably pick it up from GAME, Dixons, Currys etc. The cable has nearly every connection on it, RGB scart, S-Video, composite, L+R Stereo phono, and a optical output(with cable supplied). Hope that helps

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Thanks.Tried game earlier but all the cables were down mixing the video to composite or s-vid,none were RGB compliant.
    Dixons had an RGB cable with a digital take off (cable to be purchased seperately :rolleyes: ) for £20 :eek: .A fiver was more appropriate i thought.

4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Lynx

Try here Gameplay

Cable comes with everything you need, at £12.99, mine was dispatched next day but have just noticed they now say "sent within a week", must be the rush due to X-Box's as Christmas presents.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Cheers that looks like just the chap i'm looking for :) .

6. karldomingo

karldomingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got mine from HMV for £12.99 and there open tomorrow !

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What comes in the kit ? Do you have a link ? :)

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This is the only thing i can see from HMV. It's £20 and requires a seperate audio cable to be purchased.Can you link to the cable you were refering to ?

9. karldomingo

karldomingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the Joytech lead, with an RGB scart , S-video out connection, Composite, Audio L&R phono's , and the all important optical out connection.
    Check out http://www.joytech.net/product.asp?id=85 for the complete spec. Billy Bargain I would say for £12.99.
    Only one negative thing about the lead is that you cann't have RGB and S-Video at the same time.

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Thanks guys for taking the time to respond.I'm sure to get something from that lot. :)

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Joytech for less than a tenner from Amazon which was a bit of a bargain

I would also recommend the argos 9.50 ish rgb scart splitter which i bought after some good advice on another thread

The DD5.1 surround sound is superb

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This is the only argos stuff i can see.

13. karldomingo

karldomingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazon Joytech deal quite good until you add £3.23 postage and 'usually despatched in 1 or 2 weeks' . You want it now !!!

Argos 9.50 ish rgb scart splitter cat no. 534/0370 £9.75

14. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    534/0370 does not help i'm afraid.It is only a scart splitter and does not offer digital audio compatability (from what i can see anyway).

15. karldomingo

karldomingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The argos 534/0370 scart splitter was spoke about in case you have only 1 RGB input on your tv and have several RGB sources, as in this instance you would still need to use the joytech lead combined with the argos scart splitter. It all depends upon your set up, hope that makes sense ?

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All of your audio duties would be done via the amp anyway... The Argos scart splitter is good to have if you don't have audio out from your TV for Pro Logic 1 or 2... So any audio through that box will also go through your amp. Very nice for Sky Digital (more so in PLII).

Also karldomingo pretty much hit the nail on the head about using a scart splitter - If your TV only supports one RGB input then just use the splitter to make three.

You can buy an optical switch if you so need it but many amps thesedays support 2x Optical and 2x Coaxial so that should be enough.

17. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Which is why i requested in the first post ''a cable with a digital audio takeoff''.I'm not looking for an analogue connection,only an optical.

18. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Right, was in HMV earlier and this cable will do what i am expecting.However i didn't buy it ( don't ask :rolleyes: , patience is not one of my virtues :) ) Thanks all for the help. :)

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unless your TV has more than one RGB scart (only one of my tvs three is rgb compatable) you will still need the rgb scart splitter to take advantage of the improved picture quality through rgb scart rather than normal scart or s-video

true there is not a massive difference but for the cost of the splitter i think it is worth it

i now have major prob

just ordered sky+

so now i need 3 optical imputs sky+, xbox, dvd

tv only has 2 argh

is there such thing as an optical hub thing or splitter

20. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D'oh... Silly me. Soz Lynx, I got carried away since I've been answering a few questions about splitters and that ^_^;;

Right, down to business. For the Xbox you will require either the Composite, S-Video, RGB Scart or Component cables which you can buy from Microsoft or Joytech. All of these cables will have an optical out jack so you can use the 5.1 capabilities of the Xbox.

Not everyone has "component in" for their TV so the most common type of connection is the RGB Scart with Optical Jack. This then nicely leads onto the Argos scart splitter of which will be handy to have for multiple RGB Scart sources. You don't do anything but connect the Xbox scart lead into this baby.

All of the audio duties will be handled by the amp so that means a direct connection from your Composite/S-Video/RGB Scart/Component Optical Jack. Basically connect the optical lead from the Xbox to the amp and thats it... In my previous post I've stated that many amps have plenty of audio in options and I very much doubt that you have used up all of them (unless you have an uber old amp.... If so its time to upgrade ^_^).

bobbles: IMO You are better off buying a seperate Amp... The audio quality wil lbe better but then I don't know of your current setup and budget. From the looks of it, it seems that you are using the TV's own internal processing (decent but there are better methods).

Since you only have two digital inputs (probably Optical and Coaxial) you should use Coaxial for DVD duties and keep the optical one free for a hub.

Check this baby out for about £29.99 that will do the job. Bit expensive but I'm sure it will retain the audio quality quite well. Hope that helps.

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba ZP18Q and yes I am using the integrated DD5.1 surround sound set up

from what tv and hifi review

As part of the 36ZP18P's audio abilities, there are the customary optical and coaxial digital inputs for getting raw digital audio bitstreams from a DVD player - or a PlayStation 2 or XBox. Toshiba has thoughtfully - and uniquely - made the two digital connections separate inputs, so you can attach two Dolby Digital-delivering sources simultaneously. Neat.

I have no idea how this compares to your average amp, i have been quite impressed so far though. What is your opinion?

Thanks for the hub link though

22. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I owned a Toshiba ZP18Q until I had problems with the screen. I then moved on to the Toshiba Strata of which I've kept... I still like the picture frames' design though ^_^

The Dolby Digital capabilities of the Tosh is no slouch but because of the tinny speakers and the fact that it only supports Dolby Digital (no DTS or any other fancy things like Pro Logic II) its adequate but there is room for improvement.

Again theres no rush into any of this, good 5.1 amps are falling in price all the time as are good speaker packages. It all depends on your budget really but once you have a full blown 5.1 package its pretty sweet ^_^

Names to look out for IMO for budget/mid-range 5.1 amps are Yamaha, Denon and Marantz. For speakers look out for Mission and Wharfdale IMO. I know some peeps might have dissed the Wharfdale name but really IMO its worth the cash. £400 gives you two award winning floorstanders, two award winning bookshelf speakers (for the rears) and a very good centre speaker.

The amp would probably cost you £200 so thats £600 for a very good 5.1 system. The rest of the cash should then go to cables.

Theres no rush of course to go into the world of Home Cinema since you are already comfortable with the current setup and theres nothing wrong with that at all.

If you get the itch to upgrade though (don't we all!) then you know where to start at least.

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will stick with what i have got for now

aparantly you can get these optical splitters very cheaply from B&Q etc i just hope they do not require manual switching