X-Box Blu-ray add on ?

joey78

Standard Member
I plan to buy an X-BOX. However it does not have blu-ray playback capability.

I have heard that there will be a x-box coming out by the end of 2008 with a blu-ray add-on.

now my question is - if i buy an x-box now (it obviously wont have blu-ray capability), can i then upgrade it to play blu-ray later on ?

Or will i have to purchase a new player at the end of the year ?

alanksup

This rumour has been kicking around on and off for a while. MS deny it and are focussing on downloads instead since the demise of HD DVD. I would be interested too if any new rumours have surfaced recently
:)

joey78

Standard Member
Thanks, the thing is i am buying an x-box purely because of its ability to upscale media and the ability to play next -generation media like blu-ray. I dont see the point in buying a blu-ray player when an X-Box and PS-3 can be purchased for less than half the price of a blu-ray player.
My problem is i dont want to buy an x-box, only to find out a few months later that it is redundant

This rumour has been kicking around on and off for a while. MS deny it and are focussing on downloads instead since the demise of HD DVD. I would be interested too if any new rumours have surfaced recently

CGizzi

If your looking at a xext get machine to play HD & paly games, TBH the ps3 is the only choice! and thats coming from a 360 user.

mss99

If you want up-scaling playback and Blu-ray support then why don't you get a PS3. Microsoft currently have no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for the 360 and have at best said they may consider it for the future.

If Blu-ray is important I wouldn't go for a system that doesn't support it on the hope it might in the future. At the moment 360 support is only rumoured and to my knowledge has been quiet since MS denied they had any current plans to support Blu-ray after it won the HD battle.

PS. I own both Xbox 360 Premium and PS3.

joey78

Standard Member
If you want up-scaling playback and Blu-ray support then why don't you get a PS3. Microsoft currently have no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for the 360 and have at best said they may consider it for the future.

If Blu-ray is important I wouldn't go for a system that doesn't support it on the hope it might in the future. At the moment 360 support is only rumoured and to my knowledge has been quiet since MS denied they had any current plans to support Blu-ray after it won the HD battle.

PS. I own both Xbox 360 Premium and PS3.

You are right but i have heard from many people that the X-Box outperforms the PS-3 , hence i'm not too keen on the PS-3

Razor

Distinguished Member
I cant see the point. Bluray players are getting cheaper every day and who really wants a loud hoover to play their movies.

Eddy.

Banned
You are right but i have heard from many people that the X-Box outperforms the PS-3 , hence i'm not too keen on the PS-3

Those people are lying, and lying badly.

evade

Another owner of both consoles here and your reasons for getting a next gen console sound to me that you'd be better off going with the PS3 it can handle HD material very well and supports the HD sound via PCM as well.

Jay on F1

Im a 360 owner, but I'd recommend you get a ps3 if blu ray is that important to you. From what I've seen the ps3 is an excellent blu ray player for the money. That said - dont discount a stand-alone player. The prices are falling and I've even seen a player as cheap as £200.

Regarding the 360 and blu ray add on. This is just a rumour - dont let it become a factor in your decision.

Jonstone

I cant see the point. Bluray players are getting cheaper every day and who really wants a loud hoover to play their movies.

This is a good point, they do vary a bit but most make a noise to some degree, maybe not in the 360 league but definitely noticeable in quiet sections of a movie.

I use mine with a projector and the PS3 was a bigger noise nuisance than the pj, not a problem for me now though as my PS3 is now situated in the lounge with my projector in the room above (10m hdmi cable through the ceiling :) )

Razor

Distinguished Member
This is a good point, they do vary a bit but most make a noise to some degree, maybe not in the 360 league but definitely noticeable in quiet sections of a movie.

I use mine with a projector and the PS3 was a bigger noise nuisance than the pj, not a problem for me now though as my PS3 is now situated in the lounge with my projector in the room above (10m hdmi cable through the ceiling :) )

My PS3 is nosier than my HTPC. Both my 360's can give me a headache when gaming, they both make a terrible noise.

jaketheb

Thanks, the thing is i am buying an x-box purely because of its ability to upscale media and the ability to play next -generation media like blu-ray. I dont see the point in buying a blu-ray player when an X-Box and PS-3 can be purchased for less than half the price of a blu-ray player.
My problem is i dont want to buy an x-box, only to find out a few months later that it is redundant

If ya have a HDCP computer screen you can get a BD drive for ya computer for like 150£ from ebay.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom