X Box And Pal 60?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by STEVE THOMAS, Apr 13, 2002.

1. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody understand the set up question " does your tv support pal 60?" that is at the start of x box setup.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is to enable your Xbox to send a 60Hz signal to your TV.

In theory some games will run slightly faster due to differences in frame rates between the US NTSC TV format and the UK PAL system. Something to do with frame rates / compression and that sort of gubbins. It is also desinged to allow for games created in the US that are not fully optimised for the different TV signals in Europe to run at the speed the creators intended. I'm sure someone here can explain this more sensibly than I, but at the end of the day I've not noticed a major difference in speed with this option so leave it alone most of the time.

Plus, assuming your TV supports PAL 60 not all games are better. Halo is optimised for normal PAL and runs less smoothly in PAL 60.

3. STEVE THOMAS

STEVE THOMAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. seems like I should ignore this.

But does this mean I can use games that I buy in the states?

Steve thomas.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you have a UK Xbox, so the answer is no, you can't use games from the US. Xbox games are region encoded, like DVDs, although no doubt someone will crack this at some point.

Cheers,
    JonathanN

5. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can only play PAL games on a UK XBox - e.g. not ones from the States. What is a bit overlooked is that Australia is also PAL. You can get some really good deals on XBox and PS2 games from Australian sites. DVDCrave.com being one of the best.

EffTee