X-Box 360 Power Lead

A

alex.hulme

I have just got a psu through for the 360 but with no power lead with the UK plug on it.

I thought a regular 'kettle lead' would work but the lead that plugs into the 360 has a notch that prevents a regular 'kettle type' lead plugging into it.

Is it possible to just carve a notch into a regular 'kettle lead' and use that instead of buying an authentic Microsoft one?

Any help much appreciated :thumbsup:

hottstuff said:
Oh , i dont believe you wanna do that.

Would it really not work? I figured it has the same connections on it and the power brick would regulate the voltage.

I figured MS were just trying to make more money by creating the notch so you would have to buy specific MS cable not use your regular kettle lead.

alex.hulme said:
Would it really not work? I figured it has the same connections on it and the power brick would regulate the voltage.

I figured MS were just trying to make more money by creating the notch so you would have to buy specific MS cable not use your regular kettle lead.

You're probably right! I would have thought a regular kettle lead will work:smashin:

alex.hulme said:

You're probably right, when I moved out here I somehow managed to missplace the power lead for my projector. When I tried to buy a replacement I realised that it had a triple socket connection which you can't get out here, just the standard two pin power connector cables that are common in England.

Anyway, I took it to an electrical shop & the guy there simply cut the two pin connector rubber so that you could slightly seperate the two connectors, and plug the thing in. He seemed to know what he was talking about & insisted it didn't matter that nothing was connected to the top pin. It's been working fine now for over 4 months.

He's half right because the Pin he didn't use is Earth - not used in many countries as the "earthing" is done via the neutral cable.

You can get away with this because equipment made for those countries are double insulated - yours (by virtue of the third pin) is not, it could be extremely dangerous in a fault condition as the design MAY rely on earth being present to "crowbar" a fault condition between earth and live thus tripping the circuit.

If you want my advice Tetlee speak to the manufactuer of your projector.

No I just bought the console off ebay UK kinda cheap. It's brand new and didn't come with power adapter.

I bought the power brick off eBay figuring that it would just need a kettle lead.

It's all UK stuff but I'm just in 2 minds whether to try 'bodging' a kettle lead to fit the power brick. I really can't see that it would do any harm, I just wanted to see if anyone had already tried it?

Actually mate you can buy the cable part you need from somewhere like Maplin, I saw it posted ages ago where someone was asking where they could buy one. I seem to remember it only cost something like £7.00 + P&P.

I'm going to have a little search for you, if I can find one I'll post back here.

[EDIT]No, don't think it could've been Maplin, just looked there & couldn't find it. Perhaps if you rename your thread title to something like "where can I buy a lead for the Xbox360 power brick?". Maybe someone who knows will advise you.

I can confirm it works. I went to visit my girlfriend's parents, and took my 360 to demo it to her younger brother. I just grabbed a kettle lead out of my box of tricks, as I couldn't be arsed to unplug the 360 lead (my entertainment unit is a NIGHTMARE).

Upon getting there, I forgot that the 360 has that notch. Ten minutes later with a pen knife, a notch was carved in the kettle lead, plugged in, powered on my 360 and a cool gaming weekend.

No warranty implied, I only used it for a couple of days, but it does power your 360 :)

alex.hulme said:
I have just got a psu through for the 360 but with no power lead with the UK plug on it.

I thought a regular 'kettle lead' would work but the lead that plugs into the 360 has a notch that prevents a regular 'kettle type' lead plugging into it.

Is it possible to just carve a notch into a regular 'kettle lead' and use that instead of buying an authentic Microsoft one?

Any help much appreciated :thumbsup:

Hi there

I bought my 360 from italy just after launch.

I had to buy the power lead and got mine from here:-

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=PL01368&N=411

Hope this helps:D

Intya said:
I can confirm it works. I went to visit my girlfriend's parents, and took my 360 to demo it to her younger brother. I just grabbed a kettle lead out of my box of tricks, as I couldn't be arsed to unplug the 360 lead (my entertainment unit is a NIGHTMARE).

Upon getting there, I forgot that the 360 has that notch. Ten minutes later with a pen knife, a notch was carved in the kettle lead, plugged in, powered on my 360 and a cool gaming weekend.

No warranty implied, I only used it for a couple of days, but it does power your 360 :)

I knew it would work :smashin:

I've got that same cable. Only trouble is it's a bit short.

If you ring Microsoft Xbox support and make up a reason for your power leading breaking, dog chewed it or what not, I'm sure they'll send you a new one FOC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom