X box 360 or Wii

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SuperGoku, Sep 4, 2007.

1. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm going to get a new mobile contract with either an xbox 360 core system or Wii with wii sports, well i have heard about the xbox 360 problems concerning the 3 red lights and other hardware issues, put me off a bit but i also heard that Microsoft recently upgraded the warrenty for the xbox 360 to 3 years for free, that gives me more confidence but I want to know from current xbox 360 owners, does your machine give you trouble? And would you reccommend a Wii over the Xbox 360? (Anyone can answer the latter)

Thanls :thumbsup:

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I think the answers are going to be a bit biased seeing as you've posted in the xbox section.

I'm wondering which of the two to go for, I'm leaning towards the wii at the moment because the 360 is the same as the last xbox/ps2 game-wise just with better graphics. Everything seems to be a first/third person shooter centred around long story lines and cinematic feel where I'm more of a pick up and play gamer without much free time.

It really depends what type of games you're after. I'd just go to somewhere like play.com and look at what's out and what's coming soon to see which console has more that appeals.

3. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Personally i wouldn't bother getting a Core system as you have to buy a memory card or a hard drive for it which brings the price up to that of a premium without having a wireless controller. The Wii is still holding it's price well though so if you try it and don't like it you can make whatever you've spent on it back or thereabouts.

4. AVF Jazzy Geoff

AVF Jazzy Geoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Go for the 360 mate..not only are the games great, but with winter coming:(..the 360 runs that hot its like having an extra radiator in the house:smashin:

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I agree getting the core is pointless as you will need a memory card or preferably a hard drive.

6. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Another view,
    As said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Above

If it's the core system don't bother as a hard drive is £60 then a wireless controller etc etc. So even though it has by far the best games line up currently, you'll end up spending money on it from the get go.

Get the Wii, still great games even if the catalouge is small at present and everyone that has one seems to love and cherish it like a baby. Metroid Prime 3 comes out in time for Christmas too if I'm not mistaken.

I'm on my third console but I really don't care as it's such a great bit of kit, the online is amazing and the games..well..... the best list on ANY console IMO, their are about 3 or 4 I want this month alone! But I got the premium and wouldn't touch the core.

Can't you find a phone contract that offers the Premium version with the phone you want?

7. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    You're all mad :mad: :rotfl: Sorry :smashin:

It's such a shame the OP has to chose one or the other as he seems to suggest it comes with a "mobile contract".

The question is never xbox 360 or wii?

It is xbox 360 AND wii

or

PS3 AND wii

360 and PS3- same flippin' ball game..... no wayyyy.

wii- different ball game entirely.

We bought a wii at christmas, absolutely fantastic, so much fun, the best console personally i've ever owned.

Then i entered the world of xbox 360, had a go on one, had to have one, couldn't afford it so the wii got sold to fund the 360.

Xbox 360, absolutely fantastic, so much fun, best console ive personally ever owned :eek: deja vue :D

Miss the fun of the wii so much that within the next week will be buying another one. They're just both SO different and yet both so much fun. They go hand in hand, gotta have both.

That's the most useless and utterly unhelpful answer i've ever given cos it doesn't help the OP one bit :( Sorry mate.

But IMO there is no definitive answer, you can get all the xbox 360 fan boys in the world telling you go one way. You can get all the wii fan boys in the world telling you go the other. (Might even get the odd PS3 fan boy telling you.........) Unless you get to play them both you won't know what's best for you. You may love one and not the other or you might end up like me........ love 'em both gotta have both.

As for recommending the wii over the 360 because "the 360 gives you trouble".... nah, had my 360 8 months, never a glitch.

8. calypso69er

calypso69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here's my tuppence worth. I've got a 360, and love it. Great games, graphics, community etc etc all been said before. My 6 year old has a Wii, and he loves it. I, however, think it's a bit of a joke. Controls on most games are very hit and miss, and don't work at all if it's in a very bright room. We're also on our second one (the first stopped reading disks after a couple of days), decent games are thin on the ground etc.
    I'd say then, if you're 6, and you fancy jumping around if front of the telly, whilst not actually controlling anything, get a Wii. If not, get the 360.

9. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,901
    I agree with the above.
    I heard people say that playing on the WII also keeps you fit.
    Well sorry but if I want to keep feet i'll get my ass down the boxing Gym, or i'll play Tennis etc for real.
    When i play games I want to sit down on a comfy chair with a cup of tea.

I also agree with the controller problems for the WII.
    My Brother in law has one for her 3 year old daughter and the controllers is not very accurate at all.

So to summarise, if you are a 6 year old girl then get the Wii.
    If you have a pair of B**locks then get the 360

10. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Is your brother in law a woman?

Seriously, to the OP, if you're secure enough in your masculinity to buy colourful games without being scared of being mocked by Johnny come lately gamers who think that the only real games have to involve visceral violence then the Wii is an essential purchase IMO. It isn't for keep fit and some developers haven't implemented the controls exceptionally well but the Wiimote is capable of pin sharp accuracy. Anyone who doubts this and thinks the Wii is just for six year old girls should just play RE4.

11. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,901
    Not played RE4 so maybe this is the first proper game for the WII.

Seriously though I think the OP needs to tell us what type of games they like to play. For all I know they may be a 6 year old girl or a guy without genitals in which case happing Wii ing (if you parden the pun)

12. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    @ the OP
    As has already been said in 2 posts. You post in here you're gonna get fanboy replies mocking and making unecessary and immature comments about other gaming consoles.
    Incidentally did you post the same question in the wii section or the general gaming chat section as well?

13. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    We've got both at home and after we finished Zelda on the Wii, it's only be turned on a few times, whereas the 360 is on daily.

The Wii is great, but it doesn't offer the lasting enjoyment that I get out of my 360

14. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Yep, that'd make a lot of sense, good reply.

Though we haven't had the 2 at the same time the 360 is definitely used more than the wii was when we had it. Same as you on every day and when we buy another wii (soon) i expect it'll be the same again but they'll still both get used cos they're both great.

15. Zzebedee

Zzebedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    What kind of games do you like?
    If you like the colourful, family oriented (kiddie) games or you have friends round often then get the wii. it's lacking in the more "mature" games and i couldn't imagine playing much that's out for it on my own other than Zelda. If you have kids then this is the one to go for.

If you like shooty games, driving games and want a console that has games that look good as well as having all the best games available for it that don't have "zelda" or "mario" in the title then it has to be the 360. The 360 is lacking in family friendly games but does have 1 or 2 good uns available. If you have no kids then go for this one. A hard drive will be cheap to pick up soon as people upgrade t the big un and sell their's on ebay

16. SuperGoku

SuperGoku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks to each of you for your replies and advice.

To answer a few questions, no im not a 6 year old kid lol, you need to be at least 18 to take up a mobile phone contract, and i am getting a new contract with a "free" gift, which i can choose betweem xbox 360 core system or wii.

For games i like fighting and multiplayer games, i think Mario Kart for Gamecube is a fantastic multiplayer kart racer (shame it couldnt be 4 player with the AI), some role playing games are good, i'm liking what i have seen of Kameo-Elements of Power.

Yeah i think i should've also posted this in the Wii section.

Cheers mates. :thumbsup: