'x' and 'o' reversed/swapped on JP PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Rob100, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have a JP PS3. It's the only Playstation I've ever owned or played on, so didn't seem odd to me.

I've just discovered that on Japanese machines (I think it's the same on PS2's and PSP's?) that the function of 'x' and 'o' is reversed in XMB and for DVD/BD playback from that found on US and I assume UK machines.

Does this swap also affect games?

Why are they swapped in the first place?

To clarify in XMB to select/play/pause etc I use 'o' and 'x' to go back/cancel/stop.

Links to manuals and Babelfish translation of Japanese manual below:

Thanks,

Rob.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/basicoperations/xmb.html
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/jp/ps3/current/basicoperations/xmb.html
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ument/jp/ps3/current/basicoperations/xmb.html

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It's always been the case and I'm not aware of any specific reason for it. I haven't used a Japanese Playstation consoloe of any sort for a while now so I can't remember for sure if it's affects games as well. I think it does but if I'm wrong then I'm sure someone will correct me.

3. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Yes I much prefer it this way round :)

4. SkilledNutter

SkilledNutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    This is the case when playing such games as the Metal Gear Solid Series as the button functions where not re-coded for NTSC/U and PAL and mirrored the JAP Controller Button Setup.

As for your controller and games i believe you will have to press O for X and vice versa..... Try the Heavenly Sword Demo from the UK PSN to see if the X Button commands work.

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have owned the PS3 since February and I've not noticed anything strange.

'x' to quit/stop/exit etc does seem logical to me.

I did have to think at first as I expected 'x' to be "fire" (same position as "A" on xbox) in some game demo's (can't recall what from memory) and I had to use 'o' - just assumed this was how it was.

This issue has only arisen since I created some Pronto hex codes for the Logic3 remote and I've had a few people tell me that I'd got stop/play mixed up. In my mind I hadn't and it was the Logic3 remote which was mixed up!

I'll look closer as some game demo's to see if the controls are reversed.

6. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I have a jap PSP. Controls are reversed on XMB interface, but if I play a UK game, then the controls are as per normal.

7. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I believe that they are swapped as in Japan x to go forward is considered bad luck...and the in game controls are coded in game so its what ever the game calls for regardless of region.

8. andytabor

andytabor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The O button is traditionally used as the confirm button for some reason in japan, as someone has said already its to do with X being considered bad luck. Metal Gear Solid series is a big example of a game that retains this in its European edition.

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    The reason for the O and X being swapped on Japanese PSPs and PS3s (and I guess PS2s) is because of a semantic / language difference.

In Japanese, Maru - O - is the equivalent of a tick or correct answer, and Batsu - X - is the equivalent of a cross or a wrong answer.

Therefore it is logical for Japanese to press O when they mean something is correct - i.e. to enter it - and to press X when they mean something is incorrect - i.e. to go back without entering.

Thus O means enter or continue for Japanese users, and X means exit or back.

In English X is similar to a tick - and thus semantically to us it makes sense as a confirmation or enter button, and O has less meaning, so it doesn't not make sense as a back or return. However this would be very counterintuitive for a Japanese person.

Hope this helps.

(Guess who is studying Japanese and gets more Batsu than Maru on his homework :( )

10. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks for this, but I think I still prefer the Japanese way (and I'm not just saying that because I have a Japanese PS3). Surely even in English a tick is "yes" (move forward) and a cross/x is "no" (move backwards)?

Anyway, that answers that...

11. ralferoo

ralferoo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a HK PS3 which also uses O for select and X for cancel. Having never owned a PS2 or PS before, I thought this was normal until I tried to use someone's PSP a few weeks ago!

Most of my games are also from Hong Kong and all apart from RR7 use O for select and X for cancel, however the only UK game I've bought - Motorstorm - also uses O for select as per the XMB. Every demo I've tried from the PS store also does the same.

Interestingly, the O / X for select is exposed to Linux, but there doesn't seem to be any way to ever change the settings that I can see...

12. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Last night I tried quite a few demo's which I've d/l from PS Store and most use 'o' for select and 'x' for back/cancel in the game when selecting options. Suits me just fine :)