1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X all people interested in Sony V 40 - take a seat

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by daxie, Oct 20, 2005.

1. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, it's pretty big news I'm about to tell you. At least, it was veerrry big news for me.

As some of you might have read, I asked yesterday if the owners of the V40 could check whether they could rub their pixels or if there was a glass screen in front of them. All replied that there was NO screen in front, and that the image "smears" when you touch the screen, as is with every lcd.

Now, the story.

Yesterday, I went to a new shop, great shop with super people, they only sell av equipment...
    So I started talking to the sales person, who actually knew quite a lot about what he was selling, so it was great talking with him.
    I said to him "I'm still doubting between the panny 500 and the sony v"... He had a panny on display, and a v40, next to each other.
    I had seen v40s before, and also v32s, so I knew how the image should look like. So I said while watching: "strange, the v40s blacks seem really black, compared to the panny and the other vs I saw". His answer: "well, yes, off course, you can't compare a plasma and a lcd in blacks, plasmas will always have better blacks". I'm like: "euh, but the v40 is an lcd too". He: "no, it's a plasma". I said: "but I know several people who own a v40, and it's an lcd, and on every web site and brochure, shop, it says "lcd"." He: "yes, that's because there are 2 versions of the screen, an lcd and a plasma".

At that point I fell out of the sky. I still couldn't believe him, so I took a closer look at the particular V40. Upon inspecting the pixel size, I could indeed confirm that the rastering (pixel spacing) was indeed very big for an lcd, the S40 LCD that was next to it, which should have the same panel, had much smaller rastering. Plus there was a glass screen in front, which the s didn't have, and which owners here (read above) don't have either.

He said to me: "well, it's not something a lot of salesman know, but I can assure you, directly from the sony's product manager, that there are two versions of the v40, an lcd and a sony, and when somebody asks to buy a v40, we ask whether they want the plasma or the lcd". Their plasma has a 1024x1024 panel, btw.

Sony really confuses customers, salesman, even sales representatives. In no place, not a single one, have I encountered anything about a V40 plasma. Not 1 salesman, not 1 sony shop owner told me this. And yet I can confirm with 100% certainty that the v40 I saw was a plasma! Blacks were black as only a plasma can show (and I've seen tens and tens of plasmas and lcd's to notice the difference), pixel size and raster was definitely not LCD, and there was a glass in front. Screen setup was standard, and lighting was dim enough to notice black differences. (So please don't say it was not a plasma, it was).

Problem is a lot of shops just hang a "LCD"-tag in front of the screen, while it might be a plasma. If they are not very knowledged, they won't even know they are "lying" to their customers.

You come home with your beautiful new V40 LCD (you think), and you're saying "wow, what the hell is everybody talking about bad blacks on lcd, mine look very good". So he starts gaming and puts on Halo 2. After 15 hours of gaming he switches his screen to regular viewing, but his hud is still there. Ain't that strange for an lcd?

Hope this was news for you guys!

daxie

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    There is a new 42" Plasma on the Sony site, with the same stylings as the V40, but it's an 852x480 panel. There is no 40" Plasma to the best of my knowledge, nor is it 1024x1024.

[​IMG]

KDE-V42A12U

3. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    40-42". Could have been, hard to tell difference between the two without measuring.
    Resolution, mmm, could have been reported wrongly by the dear shopman.
    In my view of the pixels, they indeed didn't look rectangular, which should have been the case with a 1024x1024 panel.

I now see there is indeed a plasma mentioned, even on the belgian website, must have been added very recently.

Darn, there goes my scoop :p

I should have known, stupid me.

daxie

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I agree I think that is an old model which I assume the shop was anxious to get shot of. I have the (UK) Sony product guide in front of me 2005-06. The only plasmas in it are:

KDE -P61MRX which is 1365x768
    KDE - W50A12U which is 1365 x 768 and HD Ready

I have recently seen a KDL W40A12U LCD (1366x768) in a small local dealer shop. It was showing a picture from the Euro 1080 satellite (or whatever it is now called) and even close up the picture was fantastic. For some reason the same signal was being fed to a 26 Humax which is not considered 'too hot' on the Forum and this was also pretty impressive.

5. K_S

K_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daxie I can confirm that the Sony KDLV40 is in fact an "LCD" Television, I work in a Sony Centre and it is 100% lcd it says so on the box :)

We have this set running of the new RDRHXD910 hdmi DVD PLayer and it looks very nice. But in my opinion off any other source not as good, also I have realised out of the box it is terrible and that it takes alot of fiddling in the menu to get the picture just right.

Indeed there is a 42" plasma comming soon but has'nt been released yet so it would not have been this one you saw.

Hope this helps.

Keith....