• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

X-500 has color issues

jimjones

Novice Member
How do I get the projector to stop looking like a cartoon with 5th element 4k version? Projector looks fine with original version bluray and DVD copies? Projector is d6500 calibrated with a k-10 meter. Looking for the facts so I can have a god like picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20151219_234302.jpg
    IMG_20151219_234302.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71

Manni01

Prominent Member
The 5th Element remastered with an Atmos track is a Sony Mastered in 4K movie, if your bd player and everything in between is xvcolor compatible you might want to try to watch it in that mode to make the most of the wider gamut. You have to select a user mode on the projector, and select the xvcolor colour profile. All the other settings will be locked. Give that a try. The source and the projector should be set to YCB, not RGB. When playing the movie, you should see xvcolor in the info screen when pressing INFO on the remote.

If you have a Darbee or a Radiance in the video chain, don't bother as they can't pass through xvcolor.

If that's not better, then make sure you're not in that mode (select standard color profile) and your calibrated color temp.

There is no reason for this title to look cartoonish if the settings are correct, although when I played it I didn't play it in Min4K/xvcolor mode, I'll give this a try.

That version of the fifth element look like a cartoon, sony has been playing with the colors, and a hole pile of enhancement, thats what consumers want today.
Depending where your located, ill say someone with your eyes have to come over and see how a CRT projector plays out these days. Its no BS, no processing, just straight from the player into the DAC, and a all natural gamma response without any digital correction.
Shoot me a pm if your interested in a demo.

Manni01

Prominent Member
Then correct the title of the thread and make it about the bluray edition, not the X500. :)

This movie has always been very kitsch with a rich color palette, so I wasn't shocked by the colors when I watched the latest bluray on the X500 (not in xvcolor mode).

It was, however, fully calibrated with both a JVC Autocal and a MadVR 3D LUT.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom