1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www.sky.com/hidef

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Geordie Bry, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    sky hi def site is up and running

2. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like my Hitachi 5200 ain't going to be up to the job :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Why's that then? I do think it's a bit misleading saying that a display has to have 720 lines to be HD ready. My LG is an SD display and only has 480 lines but it will accept a HD signal and downscale it. I have no doubt it will look a damn sight better than with an SD source signal. Sky could potentially give a lot of people the impression their display won't work at all with their HD service when that's not actually factually correct.

Andy

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Well that should finally put an end to all the stupid rumours about it launching August & that it'll work with the current box.

I think theyve done a good job on the site, very clear & concise. Well done Sky & roll on 2006 !

:D

BTW - Did anyone else contact Sky (twice) to be a trialist & get no answer !

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is, my Hitachi was actually badged as a Sky plasma at one time (don't know if they are still selling it), if it ain't compatible, I wouldn't like to be the chap that has to explain to the customers that a Sky plasma won't work with a Sky box :oops:

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yet SKY would get an awful lot of flak if they then went on to sell £500 worth of new hardware (plus subscription) to people who had displays that wouldn't significantly benefit from the HD programming.

While it's true HD footy (for example) would be expected to produce a better picture than the SD version on a standard def display the costs involved make that route impractical.

I think making a distinction between the HD Ready EICTA standard and everything else is the only way to keep the initial launch targetted at people who have a grasp of what is what. Once that's over then more widespread direct marketing and industry wide efforts will educate those without HD Ready displays and what they will have to spend to make full use of the new format.

8. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! :hiya:

James.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Then you are in for a big dissappointment.

10. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hi

Why do you say that? There are a number of advantages to using a 720P feed on a device with a lower physical resolution.

1) Scaling 720 lines into 480 is much more straightforward than scaling 576 lines into 480

2) The signal is already progressive so no deinterlacing will be required

3) The signal will be of higher bandwidth and will - hopefully - suffer far fewer artifacts than the SD broadcast

The Panasonic 6/7 series SD panels display an excellent image when fed 720P - I'm sure other panels will give similarly good results.

Steve

11. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    <<My LG is an SD display and only has 480 lines but it will accept a HD signal and downscale it. I have no doubt it will look a damn sight better than with an SD source signal. Sky could potentially give a lot of people the impression their display won't work at all with their HD service when that's not actually factually correct.>>

A black and white tv will show the same programme material as a colour one - but the result will still be black and white !

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    It's common knowledge that a HD source on an SD display looks better than an SD source on an SD display. And mike7 with all due respect you're missing the point. I'm not saying an SD display is ideal for Sky HD, all I am saying is that the Sky HD website suggests that it's not possible to use the Sky HD box with a display having less than 720 lines of resolution when that's simply not true. There are potentially many users who have an SD display who could receive the HD service that will be put off by that, ok you may say why pay the premium for the HD service and only use an SD display, fair question but as I've already said HD material does look better than SD material on an SD display in fact people have said in the past that the Panny SD panels look fantastic with HD material and there's not a great deal of difference between the picture on an SD panel and one on a HD panel.

13. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I think its sky covering there arse to be honest. Mr joe blogs needs everything laid out to the letter so he knows where he is. No point in confusing people more than most already are, by advertising a hd service but also saying but you dont need a hdtv. The average currys shopper wouldnt know what was going on. A nice clear website stateing the benfits of a proper hdtv. I have read alot of flak from people who went out and bought a sd plasma of late. Its not other peoples fault you bought a sdtv.

14. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Reading through the FAQ section.....there's no mention of needing a new dish/LNB. Hopefully this is the case, as I've got a particulary awkward dish installation....and I don't relish the thought of having to change it to receive Sky HD. :thumbsup:

15. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    AIUI there will be no need for a new LNB or dish. The Sky HD broadcasts will be on existing Astra 2 transponders at the same orbital position and in the same frequency bands.

The Sky HD receiver WILL be a Sky + device, so for PVR functionality it will require a dual LNB (though Sky usually provide a Quad to allow for additional multiroom receivers) with two LNB feeds. If you have a single LNB on your current install then you won't get the full functionality.

16. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A HD install will include an octo LNB, allowing 4 Sky+ type devices to be connected at once.

17. Tim13

Tim13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure what your source is but I'd be impressed if this were the case, as the restricion to two Sky+ boxes (or 1 Sky+ and 2 ordinary digiboxes) in the Sky+ contract would also go. Having said that it wouldn't affect as I already have a quattro LNB feeding an 8-way multi-switch so already have 8 feeds. :thumbsup:

Tim

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I have read that an Octo had been approved and would be an option for SKY D installations but I would be surprised if it's the standard for either a new HD installation or upgrade of an existing single or Quad system.

Obviously it makes sense to offer an Octo if people are willing to pay and require more than 4 LNB feeds but are limited to a single dish.

On a personal note I hope it isn't standard otherwise it's paying for something I don't want until a retail option for the SKY+ HD is a go.

19. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    But clearly sky are pointing out that to get a HD picture - which is the point of HD broadcasts - you need a HD display.

As someone else hinted, there would be little point in advertising the availability of a colour broadcast and saying you only need a B&W set to receive it. Of course that is true, but is not the point of the service, nor the advice you want to give to people without misleading them.

At least Sky are being very clear what the requirements are - even if it doesnt make the best reading for none HD-Ready displays owners.

20. cervaro

cervaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just hope the new HD box (a) is reasonably priced; (b) has a large hard drive; (c) subscription cost doesn't increase significantly; and (d) is properly tested before release, with no stupid bugs occurring.

21. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Still missing the point......

22. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - though presumably this isn't an essential requirement - as the Sky HD broadcasts don't require a different LNB to be received, and a single HD install won't require 8 LNB feeds will it?

(The Sky + HD does only have two tuners doesn't it?)

23. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    What point?

24. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all due respect mate, after reading through this thread, 'tis you missing the point...or rather will be missing lines of information if you downscale a 720p signal onto a plasma with 480 res. Agreed (sort of) that an upscaled picture does look as good, of not better than a standard resolution picture...but there are still no more lines of resolution there...they are not there in the first place so the panel can't guess what should be there.
    Remember that HiDef will actually be broadcast with those extra lines of resolution...I can foressee an awful mess when plasma's try and guess wha's not supposed to be there and display what they think is the correct picture...

25. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anyone else having problems with the sky website? It just doesn't load up at all with me....

26. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Hi

Do you have the latest flash player installed. The website requires flash and has no html fallback - just a blank screen.

Steve

27. DrunkenDuck

DrunkenDuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never been able to access the site yet either, just "page not found"

28. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
  29. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    I couldn't tell from the web-site, but is there any indication whether the HD component outputs will have bi-level or tri-level sync?

In other words, will it be regular flavour, or the HDTV-specific interface that certain HDTV displays with analogue connections already have?

Nick

30. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just download some Hi Def Trailers and Clips From the net and watch them on a Panny 6 Series SD Display

Its clear as day that theres a huge difference between these and SD Television,

Pin Sharp, No signs of compression etc etc, they look superb and so will Sky HD