1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www.play247.com

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by johna, Mar 1, 2001.

1. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone ordered of these guys before?

Any comments? Or recomondations on any other region one internet based suppliers?

Cheers!!

John

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

John

I use them as my main source for DVD, their service is good and they usually have the title you seek in stock. R2 discs are sent from Jersey by recorded delivery for which you need to sign on receipt, R1 discs come from Belgium and there is no need to sign. Discs are always sent separately in single padded bags. There is no charge for carriage and if you return a disc then you get a full refund. Their prices are excellent on DVD and also on CD's. Give them a try you have nothing to lose.

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks alot.

There prices are very good - I've just bought T2, Meet The Parents and Road Trip, total cost is 53.97, a mere 8.97 more than Virgins so called GREAT OFFER! of three for 45!!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Play ship R2 titles from Jersey, these take 3 to 4 days to arrive as only one small freight plane goes to any from Jersey a day.

R1 titles are shipped from Canada via Keymail distrutions in Belgium, these normally take 2 days

5. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My experience was more like 3 weeks than 3 days and I won't be using them again. Jersey has only one little plane for freight - what kind of an excuse is that? [​IMG]

I too live on a small island and believe me freight moves in many ways (anyone heard of boats?)

Also their stock levels seemed poor when I ordered and I cancelled one disc entirely because of a backorder delay. They also don't respond to emails

It always amazes me how people with a hobby like home cinema spend hours trying to save the cost of a can of coke on their discs - though it's their money I suppose

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I've only ever had one disc delayed from Play247, which arrived within 2 weeks anyway.

All it requires is a little patience, seemingly a lost virtue these days.

7. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Black 5.

But.....it's not so much the cost of a can of coke - more like the ease of ordering R1's over the web and then not worrying that some little pimple faced 14 year old is booking himself holidays to the carribean on your credit cards!!

8. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I ordered T2 (Ultimate DVD) and Dinosaur, both R1 and quoted as "In-Stock", indeed they both arrived within 3 working days.

Good value, and good service, I WILL be using them again.

Ian.

[This message has been edited by IanW (edited 02-03-2001).]

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently on Disc 6 ordered from them yesterday, I have ordered a mixture of R1 and R2 and both have arrived within 3-4 days, except when we had a post strike. They do answer their e-mails.

They are very good and cheaper than most places except when HMV have a 2 for £25 or 3 for £39 offer on.

[This message has been edited by martinlee (edited 02-03-2001).]

10. Dudemeister

Dudemeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion and experience (so far).
    I ordered 5 discs last friday, one r2 and four r1 titles.
    The r2 title arrived wednesday, although it had a huge scratch in it, so that was returned. (well technically thats not play247:s fault) but my other discs, r1:s haven't arrived yet, and its been a week.

Regarding email, I have sent 3 emails this week, 2 on wednesday and 1 yesterday, and still haven't got a reply.
    (I sent another email today)

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Who needs a replay button? History always repeats itself.

11. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty darn good! Their only failing was to send me two of the same disc for the price of one. I sent one back (fool); they gave me the postage back. I suppose I expected more than that for being honest. I'll learn!
    Average delivery time - 3days if it’s in stock.

12. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with most, play247 are a top company, i agree with ptmbradley, i have NEVER had a problem with them and never had to wait more than 4 days for a disk. they may not stock a wide range of titles(just try dc-dvd) for a wider range, but slightly more expensive. plays prices are excellent, they have always replyed my emails within 24 hours, and i have no problem in recomending play to any future customers.
    5/5
    mark p

13. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, they're a top company. The only prob I've had, was recently when I failed to update my CC details when a new card was issued. They e-mailed me straight away, I mailed them back with the new details, & the disc was sent same day! At the mo I use them & A&B sound (Canada) exclusively. Both are excellent IMHO.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I've been waiting for Startrek Generations since they posted it on the 23rd March, never had any problams untill this one.
    Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

15. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Never once had a problem with them and I must've had 40 or so discs from them by now. All my emails have been responded to within hours, and last autumn when the post office lost my copy of From Dusk till Dawn: Special Edition, they were on the case after 1 quick phone call.

My copy of Meet the Parents turned up 3 days b4 release.

Top, top, top company IMHO. I feel a bit of a traitor in fact, as this morning I ordered The Rock - Criterion from Movietyme instead.

Well, it was a tenner cheaper! Highly unusual for Play to be so much undercut.

But I do have about 4 other discs on pre-order from Play so I don't feel that guilty! [​IMG]

Ptm

16. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hardly surprising, there's three weeks to go yet before they post it! 23 MARCH?

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Whoops, I ment 23rd Feb, but you new that didnt you. [​IMG]
    Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

18. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had any problems with Play and do recommend them.

They have a good web site where you can track your order, they don't make promises they can't keep, and if you need to talk to a real person you can.

Unlike other sites where all you can do is place an order, no tracking , no real person to speak to etc...

And I've never had to wait more than four days to receive an in stock movie!

19. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had over a hundred discs from them and never a problem.

Black 5 has obviously just been unlucky.

20. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I normally order everything from Movietyme, and get very good service from them.

I also have used Play recently to get hold of some awkward R1's that they had at (what appear to be loss leading prices), these were Cleopatra, Ben Hur and Ninja Scroll Unrated.

I also pick up R2 from them now and again but prefer DVD Street, and Blackstar normally.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

21. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi

Just thought I would let you know I had the Rock on order from Play247 at 34.99. Checked it's progress today, only to find it has been dropped to 25.99

I'm now a happy bunny !

Jase

22. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I heard about that. [​IMG]

If that had happened 2 weeks ago they would've had my business. Ohe well, c'est la vie.

I'm now wondering if they'll do the same with the criterion release of Spartacus which is currently advertised at £33.99 (I think). £30 at Movietyme and about £26.50 from absound.ca

Think I'll wait and see if Play are forthcoming as I'd much rather buy from them than anywhere else. [​IMG]

23. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for that pointer.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

24. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have been ordering from Play since April 2000.I have ordered in the rgion of 150 discs and their service has been excellent.The only problem I had was on T2 which had a dented (metal) case.They replaced it no questions asked.I cannot praise them highly enough.
    John G

25. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Play247 are really good. Not always the cheapest but one of the more reliable.

The only thing that may annoy some people is that ALL disks are sent recorded delivery. Therefore if you work you may not be in to sign. Delivery times are very good - about 2 days for R2 and 4 days for R1.

SteveB

26. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the last post made was to say how happy I was that Play247 had dropped the price of The Rock by £10, they have yet to post it. It's now a week since it's release date, and still no sign off it. I rang them a couple of days ago and was told it was slighty delayed but would be arriving Monday. Still nothing. [​IMG] I'm very surprised at this, as I too have used them for the last year or so and never had a problem. Lets hope it's here soon or I shall have to try MovieTyme.

27. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    It seems that the two most popular suppliers of DVD imports ( and this is including people over at THEDVDFORUMS ) seem to be either www.play247.com or www.movietyme.com

I use both of them.

PLAY247 did have a HUGE drop in performance and customer service from x-mas 2000 up to about 6 weeks ago. Since then there site is update regularly and they now have the biggest listing of pre-orders that they have ever had.

MOVIETYME seem to be popular because they have films for sale before PLAY ( and other sellers ) THE ROCK is one obvious one ( but just having a quick look they also have CHARLIES ANGELS, MEN OF HONOUR, LEGEND OF BAGGER VANCE and 102 DALMATIONS ) HOWEVER by the time some of these titles are sent out you may be better off ordering them from PLAY.

I think that when a title is listed on MOVIETYMES home page it is ABOUT to go into stock with them over in the USA. You then have to wait for these titles to be shipped into the UK and then for them to be shipped to you. I had my THE ROCK from them last Wednesday, but I believe that others are still waiting.

At the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your choice.

There are now TWO very promising new-comers to the import scene arriving. I have yet to order from either as I am happy with play

------------------
    You don't have to have a huge screen or the biggest speakers to have a true home cinema. Many people have lost the point in the middle of this boom of technology. At the end of the day it all boils down to the FILMS!!!

"You're one ugly motherf**ker."