1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www.mp3search.ru - Anyone know if they're legit?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And more importantly, if it's safe to give them your credit card details?

Cheers guys and gals! :thumbsup:

2. Caveman643

Caveman643

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I use them all the time. Never had a problem.

:thumbsup:

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! What's the quality like at 160kbps?

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just downloaded several albums from this site. Seems pretty good! Bigger selection than allofmp3, so far as I can see ...

5. nvzblmn

nvzblmn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohya, thats an awesome site.
    I first filled up with 20 bucks,
    then went back for 50 bucks (and get 100 free downloads.)
    Good site.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note of caution to anyone thinking of using this site. Quite apart from the issue of whether or not it's entirely legal (let's not start all that again, please!), there is an issue, it seems, with some older back catalogue MP3s being damaged or badly edited. Just so you know. Happened to me with about 8 tracks out of around 200. Not bad odds, I agree ...

Incidentally, and coming back briefly to the whole copyright element, I use this site as a 'try-before-you-buy-or-delete-tracks' service, and bought 2 actual CDs today having heard them first thanks to this site.

7. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it is not. What is the attraction to these sites -- do they accept electron or something??

Would you give your card details to a market trader selling pirated goods (... in Russia) -- or would you pay cash?

Search "truerecords.biz" in Google Groups. True Records are listed as the owners of the mp3search domain in the Whois record.
    Google: http://***********/dckq3
    Whois: http://www.nic.ru/whois/?domain=mp3search.ru

The trojan "checkout.exe" (which is reportedly installing itself on computers and reporting back to truerecords.biz) may not have anything to do with CC processing but activity like this suggests they should not be trusted to safeguard financial information. They are probably mining the net for it.

Most sensible people who see a piracy site hosted in Russia put two and two together and realize that not only will their card details be unsafe, but that the proceeds will most likely be used to fund crime. Terrorism gets 99% of it's funding from petty theft and low level activities like this.

If you think this sounds silly, True Records also appear to be behind violentrussians.com -- it took all of two minutes just now in google to link the owners of MP3search to a site which depicts people being cut up and raped.

Downloading music from this site without owning a copyright license is illegal in the UK, just as P2P is, so no advantages in this regard. I would rather the RIAA had my UK IP address than Interpol turf up my credit card number in a money laundering investigation.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hell's teeth!! Worse than I'd feared! The need to acquire a few obsurce albums means I've funded murder, rape, crime of every kind. I feel sick ... :suicide:

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious. Any advice, BROUGHCUT? Like how to stop my card being used illegally now I've given out its details?

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,664
    Anyone using their credit cards to purchase MP3s from a Russian site which is so obviously dodgy must be cataclysmically STUPID! Cancel your card if you've done it and exercise a tiny incy wincy bit of common sense in future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.