1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WWII online gaming

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Setenza, May 2, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I have recently spent quite a lot of time playing Hidden and Dangerous 2 online, since I have increased my broadband capacity.

I enjoy playing, but some of the attitudes and behaviour of the other players has made me question the good taste associated with this type of online multplayers.

Is it trivialising the most important historical event of the last century? Plus it worries me how serious some of the clans player take it. One guy said it was the nearest he was ever going to get to real fighting on this scale, and it was a shame that he'd missed the real thing.

The various theatres of war can also be a springboard to the sort of nationalism that can be unpleasant. At present, there are emerging, dutch, spanish and french clans. During long sessions, it doesn't take long for the onscreen comments to take a jingoistic tone.

Now I'm sure a lot of this is down to the age group of a lot of those playing, but I must admit that I've not experience tha same sort of mentality with other non WW2 games such as unreal etc.

Or is it a case of the nation once again just clinging to past glories, in the same way as the 66 world cup?

Has anyone else given this any thought?

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741

Err, no offence but isn't that a bit of a silly question? Gaming is entertainment, so of course it's trivialising WWII...any "game" does imho.

I'm afraid you need to get used to this: lots of plonkers out there, but more than likely he was pulling your chain:)

Personally I think that's inevitable, and no different to something like the World Cup.

Clinging to past glories? I really don't think most people take it that seriously....(if they do then they need help:))

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont care what you think. Dod if the business. All I can say is get a life we live in a Democracy, my Grandad fought for our right to kill germans on the P.C at weekends, I am sure he would be happy if he was still alive.