WWE Raw in HD?

SpennyUK71

Novice Member
DirecTV in the US is listing next Monday's RAW in High Definition on USA HD. This would seem to indicate that WWE will debut in HD next Monday. Lets hope Sky Sports will also broadcast Raw in HD!
Also from next week in the US, Smackdown and PPV's will be broadcast in HD.

The wwe have been recording/using HD for a while now, just like the UFC also. Its just going to be down to cost and also if the contract covers HD already. ;)

SpennyUK71

Novice Member
Turns out the first WWE HD program will be the Royal Rumble, with RAW debuting in HD the next night in the US. The listing of next week's RAW airing on USA HD is not accurate.

JonnyConcrete

Novice Member
I doubt we will get WWE in HD yet.

Just like Boxing, NFL etc we still get them in SD.

P***ed me off that I had to pay £15 on top of £65 monthly sub to watch Ricky Hatton in HD, so much so that I have decided to unsub my HD untill we get alot more sport in HD.

I realise that this is still newish but when I first got HD a year ago I really expected more sport in HD by now.

Flat_Webb

Novice Member
I understand that the PPV supplier in the US is charging an extra $10 for anyone wanting to watch the Royal Rumble in HD as opposed to SD. How do they expect people to want to adopt it if a premium is still charged for practically anything broadcast in HD...

Retronana

In Memoriam
Have the PPV poster for Royal Rumble 2008 in the office and it has a WWE-HD mark on it, its not confirmed for Sky HD yet AFAIK.

HD WWE is coming to the UK later in the year...watch this space ;)

SpennyUK71

Novice Member
Hi everyone!

I have had a reply from Sky and there are currenlty no plans to broadcast the Royal Rumble in HD - great!:thumbsdow No answer on Raw or Smackdown.

If the Rumble is not in HD, then there will be no way I am forking out £15 for it when I can obtain it on the internet from 'other sources'.

I do not understand why Sky refuse to broadcast a large majority of US sports in HD which are shown in the US in HD, ie NFL, motor sports, WWE. Anybody have any idea why Sky choose to do this?

Robbie Razzler

Hi everyone!

I have had a reply from Sky and there are currenlty no plans to broadcast the Royal Rumble in HD - great!:thumbsdow No answer on Raw or Smackdown.

If the Rumble is not in HD, then there will be no way I am forking out £15 for it when I can obtain it on the internet from 'other sources'.

I do not understand why Sky refuse to broadcast a large majority of US sports in HD which are shown in the US in HD, ie NFL, motor sports, WWE. Anybody have any idea why Sky choose to do this?

MONEY!:devil:

Flat_Webb

Novice Member
Yup, if the likely buyrates don't justify it in their opinion then Sky aren't gonna pay for the HD broadcast from the states...

SpennyUK71

Novice Member
Update on WWE HD in the states:

World Wrestling Entertainment will finally showcase all of its elbow smashes, body slams and pins in high definition beginning with the Jan. 21 episode of USA Network’s Monday Night Raw series.

Along with its original cable and broadcast series – USA’s Monday Night Raw and A.M. Raw; Sci Fi Channel’s ECW: Extreme Championship Wrestling and The CW’s Friday Night SmackDown – the WWE will also deliver in HD all of its pay-per-view shows beginning with the Jan. 27 Royal Rumble event.

The company recently completed $20 million HD renovation of its Stanford, Conn. Television studios, allowing the WWE to broadcast in HD.

“The move to high-definition programming is another step in WWE’s ongoing mission to provide fans with the most engaging, exciting product possible, and our programs look spectacular in HD,” said Mike Grossman, Senior Vice President, Television Operations in a statement. “This upgrade will be the first of many technological advances for our brand in 2008.”

N.A.V

Standard Member
Sadly none of the WWE programmes will be shown in HD in the UK for the foreseeable future since they are broadcasted on Sky Sports 3, which of course is not a HD channel.

We'll just have to wait as usual...

Laggy

Sadly none of the WWE programmes will be shown in HD in the UK for the foreseeable future since they are broadcasted on Sky Sports 3, which of course is not a HD channel.

They do somtimes swap which channel the HD channel is simulcasting, for example there are occasions where SSHD2 is broadcasting the same programming of SS3 or Xtra.

I'm sure its more of an issue of Sky not wanting to come up with the cash for HD or WWE not willing to provide it.. i'll just quote something ive posted on the DS forums on the issue:

I doubt WWE will even be in 16:9 to be honest.. they presently only provide one international PPV feed at the moment which is fed all over the world and used by various broadcasters, so it will be kept in SD 4:3 format to keep the non-HD/non-widescreen capable broadcasters happy.

They will, of course, offer a HD feed in the future, but will probably expect more $$$ for it which Sky will probably won't be willing to provide.

Personally, I think we'll be waiting until the Sky/WWE contract renewal next year for any UK WWE HD to be considered by either party.

triplea4uk

Not sure if they will allow Sky HD because of rumours going around once WWE Sky deal expires which isn't to far away they want to launch there own pay channel.

ozsat

Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not HD either.

Sky Sports HD1 and HD2 are selections for Sky Sports 1-3 - they are not Sports 1HD and 2HD - although it normally seems that way.

Sky programming have told me today that Raw will be in HD, but not for next few weeks at least - Royal Rumble will NOT be in HD.

Flat_Webb

Novice Member
I sent an email to Sky this past week to see if they were going support the Royal Rumble etc. in HD, here is the reply from the Viewer Relations Dept:

Dear *****

Thank you for your email about WWE Royal Rumble.

Unfortunately, Royal Rumble will not be shown in HD, however we are in discussions with WWE about taking programming in HD in the near future. If and when anything is agreed we will announce it in WWE programming and on related websites.

Thanks, once again for taking the time to contact us at Sky.

Kind regards

Morag Carson
Viewer Relations

mikeclark007

Still nothing on the TV guide for raw in HD next week on SS1HD or SS2HD

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett