WW 1 biggest mistake in history for Britain.

You know, the world is not dominated by one regime for very long. Had we 'lost' the war (and some may say we lost it anyway), we would have slowly, but surely returned to self-rule. One way or another at any rate.
We wouldn't all be goose stepping and speaking German.
The Romans did it and life went on. It seems to be portrayed as the end of the world, but in reality, it was just a change of politics.
No disrespect to anyone who was directly effected by it of course. Just a wider viewpoint.

LIGHTS OUT - The Royal British Legion.

We're encouraging everyone in the UK to turn off their lights between 10pm and 11pm on 4 August 2014 – leaving only a single light or candle for this symbolic act of reflection and hope.

Best thing ever WW1! because it set up the conditions for WW2, which meant my dad came to the UK to do his bit and after that he met my mum and hey presto!.

What happened, happened. To say it was a terrible mistake implies that none of us should be here.

Or that others should have lived?
A selfish point of view.

Selfish.....possibly.

But a good point.

Maybe I exist because thousands of years ago a bad dead was done?

If so I couldn't care less because I like existing.

Isn't that like saying African Americans should be thankful for slavery, otherwise they wouldn't have been born?
:facepalm:

Go back in time and stop the world wars.
Come back to 2014 and say.........

Where is my iPad, no Xbox, Internet, what's that?

Dam!

Isn't that like saying African Americans should be thankful for slavery, otherwise they wouldn't have been born?
:facepalm:

You could say that.

But you go and ask an african american who is happy with a family if he would give it all up if slavery never happened.

I know what id be saying.

Having become a dad recently it puts things into perspective.

I only care for the very immediate past and the future.

What has gone before me is irrelavant.

You could say that.

But you go and ask an african american who is happy with a family if he would give it all up if slavery never happened.

I know what id be saying.

Having become a dad recently it puts things into perspective.

I only care for the very immediate past and the future.

What has gone before me is irrelavant.
Playing devil's advocate (so no offence meant or making light of this):
Child born of a rape?
Oh boy, I'm sure glad mom got raped otherwise I'd never been born?

Go back in time and stop the world wars.
Come back to 2014 and say.........

Where is my iPad, no Xbox, Internet, what's that?

Of course war drives innovation, with knock on benefits to civilians.

But you overlook the contribution that may have been made by the millions who died. Innovation is also driven by individuals, and we will never know what we have lost.

Of course war drives innovation, with knock on benefits to civilians.

But you overlook the contribution that may have been made by the millions who died. Innovation is also driven by individuals, and we will never know what we have lost.

And you can counter that with the argument that science and technology never progress as quickly and as successfully as they do during periods of war. You may never know what you have lost, but you will never know what you would not have gained either. Nuclear power, microwave cookers and the jet engine were three hugely important areas that were given a huge boost due to WW2.

History is gone, it is unchangeable. In my book, it is neither good nor bad. Good and bad relate to what happens now and what we do in the future. I don't regret either WW, I don't think discussing the scenario that it was a mistake has any value. I am happy to be here, therefore I don't see how I can possibly think anything that went before could or should be changed.

Learn from history and do what you can to ensure that history is a complete and accurate record of what has happened, why it happened and what it lead to. But don't regret it, if you had nothing to do with it.

Perhaps we need another war?

Why I'd love a time machine to play things out like this :)

Oh and there is really no such things as Good or Bad, they are just man made concepts and even as they are they totally depend on your viewpoint at the time.

David Cameron is

You are 16 plus year's of age it is 1914... you're future entails taking part in the absolute horror of trench warfare , my imagination can not create the felling's brought on by such horror. Up most respect to those who fought and died .. And my total contempt for those who allowed and even encouraged the massacre of a generation.. for what.

Up most horror yes

I have a never will seen such circumstances

However, I have experienced 2 moments in my life of absolute horror in their own right

I feel a stronger man for it and am blessed I am through it

Although the youth of the world are deemed to be better protected and have it easy these days......

Do not be fooled on the similarities in the difficulties and pleasures of life no matter what century we are in

the attack on Belgium was just an excuse because the British were hell bent on war anyway as they saw Germany as an imperialistic threat

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom