1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTD: Marantz PM7200.....(gold)!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by steve_worthing, Jun 13, 2003.

1. steve_worthing

steve_worthing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who can help with a best price please. Believe I've found on Unbeatable for 229 or have I got that wrong (black of course)?
    Is this Amp as good as its said to be?
    Steve

:smoke:

2. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    steve i think that price is the best you will find ,but i think its also avaliable in gold for £10 more unbeatable, qed-uk are selling them for £260, but i think they have a returns policy.

have a look on hifi choice forum, i posted a thread on peoples opinions of pm7200, and it seems in general to be well recieved,

i am considering that amp myself, but am waiting untill moorgate recieved them and have a chance to evaluate sound quality etc, but i think there price will not be far of the recomended one.

3. steve_worthing

steve_worthing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS MICK23,

Just what I was hoping for.....probably regret a black choice!

Steve

4. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Is this the Class A switchable 95w amp, recently reviewed in What HIFI?

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes its the same

. for your info i phoned marantz today re av+sterio processer sockets on pm7200 ,you can take preouts of an av amp to processer in on pm7200 and processer out of pm7200 to spare a/log input on av amp, balance volume to siute on pm7200 , switch to source /direct mode omn pm7200 to swop between av and sterio use,

the only thing is to remember to set pm7200 volume control back to zero if using say with cd.

qed-uk seemed to have upped price of pm7200 up by £15 it was £260 delivered now £275.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Mick ... the problem with doing that (processor out from the PM7200 into the AV Amp) is that you will be adding an additional stage of pre-amplification (in the AV Amp) which will loose you all the quality that you're buying the (pre-amp second of the) PM7200 for.

Best to take processor output of the PM7200 into one side of a QED switch, the pre-out of your AV amp into the other side of the switch, then take the output of the switch into the processor in of the PM7200. Or buy an amp with a unitary (or fixed) gain input, like the A75+, which the Marantz PM7200 DOES NOT HAVE.

Vikki

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    soundog i used to have a85 and used it thus from memory fronts connected to a85, 3802 to tape in /out, cd player to a85,balance fronts (a85 proc mode) for av, switch to cd on a85, (denon swithed off completely) use a85 for 2 channel sterio.

so if i am not mistaken (which i could well be ) front l/r speakers to 7200+cd player ,tape in/out to 3802, balance fronts for av, switch pm7200 source or av button (i could be wrong on what marantz told me re button)

so its 7200+3802 for av/pl2 etc. denon off completly just 7200+cd +fronts for 2 channel, which must use pre/amp of 7200.

the swithbox idea i can see what you mean but unless (switchbox takes b/plugs) my speaker cable is dnm /soldered b/plugs and cable is thin fordiect connection into switcbox.

just got to be able if possible to get demo 7200 vs 3802 to try first anyway , bit skint at the moment thank you

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    What you said first time - as you were told by Marantz ... if I understood properly was ...
    CD Player --> PM7200 -(processor out)-> 3802 -(processor in)-> PM7200 --> speakers.

Now the problem with this is that you are still involving the 3802 when listening to CDs which (if I understand correctly) is what you are trying to avoid as you are trying to improve the quality.

The ideal is ...
    CD Player + 3802 preout --> PM7200 --> Speakers

Now the problem with that is that when using the 3802, you have to ever time reset the volume on the PM7200 to the correct level - which is somewhere between no problem, tedious and "chuck the remote at it cause it's so annoying" depending on your temprement. Now with amps with a fixed level (or unitary) gain input, you avoid having to adject the volume as you can preset the volume control for a particular input. The PM7200 doesn't have this facility though.

What you can do with amps like the PM7200 with a "processor" loop (this includes most NADs and others) - where effectively the only link between pre and power amp stages is made externally - is to put a line level switch box in. This connect on one side to the "processor out" of the PM7200 (a.k.a. pre-amp out) and the pre-out of the 3802, and on the other side of the switch to the "processor in" (a.k.a. power amp input) of the PM7200. All this is done at line level - with phono connections - so your speakers cable is irrelevant.

Hope this is clearer to you now ...

Vikki

PS ... I think some confusion lies in terminology ... the Marantz's processor loop is nothing like the Arcam's processor mode.

[Edit: english corrected with the help of Steff so that indeed it MAY be clearer now!! Vikki]

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    soundog i get your drift re a85 and having to adjust volume on pm7200 now.

could you tell me what company makes the suggested line level box.

thank you

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
  11. SpiderJon

SpiderJon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe I've found on Unbeatable for 229 or have I got that wrong (black of course)?

Yes, that's currently the best price - I bought one from them the other week.

I was happy with the black finish, as I reckoned it would dissipate the class A heat more efficiently than the gold finish ;) And it's cheaper. And who stares at their hi-fi anyway?

Is this Amp as good as its said to be?

So far, yes :)

In class A/B mode it's very good (compared to my old PM44SE), and in class A mode it's even better.

It's a more subtle difference than the What Hi-Fi? review implied, and it depends on the type of music too (the 'simpler' the music, the more noticeable), but it's there.

Rgds

Spider

12. steve_worthing

steve_worthing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks good people! But someone tell me the url for QED as I've still not figured it out yet (Am I annoying?). Oh yeah one thing - is it light years ahead of the Marantz A/V amps as, one box solution would be nice!
    I've still got a Rel Strata 1 looking for a good home if anyone is serious about movies.......
    Steve :)

13. Blenky

Blenky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    removed!