WTD: Latest Firmware for Denon DVD-A11 Multi Region

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thudspud, Nov 2, 2005.

1. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hello

Getting very close to getting an A11 but it hasn't got the latest firmware, can anybody help me out with the latest multi region version, I beleive it is 6334-G

Cheers

Chris

2. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I need to poke sevenoaks again, they are supposed to be getting the latest firmware for my a11 in stock so they can upgrade it but they've gone quiet for the last fortnight or more. they also tell me that the denon link 3 upgrade is just around the corner and that is supposed to provide me with 6334-H, if and when it turns up.

They won't give me the firmware cd though, they want me to bring the player in so they can upgrade it. silly sausages.

dave

3. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks for the info, so there is a version 'H' of software around or due!

Do you know how much the DL3 upgrade will cost?

Cheers

Chris

4. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    H is supposedly due but I've not even seen G yet personally. this weekend I'll go and poke sevenoaks a bit, as that's who I bght it off second-hand.

no idea how much the dl3 upgrade will cost alas, but I don't currently have a denon amp so I won't be rushing to do that upgrade.

I chatted to an Onkyo rep at the manchester hifi show this weekend who said he was sure they'd made the firewire upgrade for my 989 amp available. he was supposed to be getting back to me, but I've not heard anything yet. I'd love it if I could get the firewire upgrade for it, then I could use just firewire from my a11 and make the wiring alot neater.

dave

5. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Well I have now bought the player so any help from anyone on the firmware would be great :)

6. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I'm intending to go to my local shop on friday afternoon and they'll do the firmware upgrade then. it also seems like a good opportunity to test my deckwith some high def tv's with scart, component, progresive, dvi and dvi upscaled. we'll see how much of a difference there is.

should be interesting that.

you should be able to contact your nearest denon dealer and ask them to get the latest MR firmware for the a11 though and once they've got it in, they should be able to upgrade it for you in shop

dave

7. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Right, my player is now updated to the latest.

it used to be:

ESS: 6334-6
    MAKEDEV: 210
    DRV: 030825
    SYSTEM: 6542-2
    DSP1: 6332
    DSP2: 6333

Now it is:

ESS: 6334-G
    MAKEDEV: 105
    DRV: 030825
    SYSTEM: 6542-5
    DSP1: 6332
    DSP2: 6333

Basically only ESS, MAKEDEV and SYSTEM have changed, not sure why MAKEDEV is now a lower number though. They used 2 cd's in the shop to do the update.

It was also a good opportunity to test my dvdp with one of the HD ready screens they had in the shop. I plugged into a 32" samsung screen and we tested using composite, svideo, component, dvi and dvi upscaled (they didn't ave a spare scart lead, and weren' prepared to open one). test dvd was master and commander.

Composite was typically not great. good enough to get a picture and it looked okay, but movement was a bit laggy, detail was fuzzy and it was dark.

svideo was okay, movement looked normal, much better detail, a bit brighter. perfectly watchable.

component seemed similar to me to svideo, a little better, but I can accept that M&C prolly wasn't the film to show the differences.

DVI 480p was instantly, and obviously much brighter and more finely detailed and 720p and 1080i were again, brighter and more detailed. all three looked very good, but 720p and 1080i were noticeably better I thought.

I then tried the incredibles as an example of a really well mastered disc. I didn't run through the whole gamut of cable choices though, didn't want to annoy the shop too much :) I had dvi and svideo connected at the same time.

the DVI upscaled version was obviously better. the svideo version was fuzzy around edges, and places of large contrast change showed little halo's and bright lines. esp noticeable at the start of scene 4 I think where mr incredible is working at his desk. the line between his light shirt and the darker background had a white line along the shirt side, which was missing in the DVI version. more detail was seen in people's hair etc.

definately made me think that digital video connectivity and upscaling isn't just a scam to sell more kit. Proper HD will be better of course, but that was pretty good to get out of a dvd.

Then I tried some other films, ie lesser transfers. Office Space looked good, an episode of the X files looked alright, not brilliant, but then it's not a good source.

The teller was the 10th anniversary of highlander though. I took it as I know it's an *awful*, *awful* transfer and it really showed. it was nigh on unwatchable. to be fair, it was just as bad over svideo too, but I suspect the high resolution makes the massive flaws all the more obvious. now I need to check it out on my crt again, see if it's really that bad at home :)

all in all, a useful afternoon I think :)

dave

8. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Anybody got a copy of the MR firmware?

would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

9. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Still looking!

10. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Ditto... and my dealers been looking for 6 months without any luck either. :rolleyes:

Won't be getting anymore Denon kit me thinks.

11. GlynH

GlynH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    See my post last November...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268957

Regards,
    -=Glyn=-

12. neilwilkes

neilwilkes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HOW do you get these beasts to go MultiRegion in the first place please?
    Been trying to find a handset hack, but so far with no success whatsoever.

Any pointers VERY gratefully recieved & acted on!

13. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    i would also like to know this cos i have been searching for LONG time.
    a couple of weeks ago i gave my firmware details to denon and they sent me back 2 discs and a set of instructions.
    my existing firmware is the same as fyonns original firmware,however installing the new firmware will revert the player back to r2,something i am not keen to do.
    i would of course do it if i could then get the machine back to multi-r.
    so im in the position where i dont have the latest firmware installed (but do have the discs) and a multi-region machine.
    part of the reason for not wishing to lose the multi region status is due to the fact that they seem to be in short supply,so if i ever sell it then the buyer will get a little bonus!!;)

14. GlynH

GlynH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    To the best of my knowledge you cannot set the A11 for MR using a handset hack like it is possible to do with certain current players - it needs to be done via firmware as all models have been in the past.

Why don't you contact Denon again and push them?

It may also pay to contact a Denon Gold Dealer as they only used to issue the MR software to their own reps in a misguided attempt to shield the fact that the player could be made MR...

Despite their promising an upgrade to the A11 to date I have not seen anything on their website about DenonLink 3 for this player but when I rang and asked I was told to send (I delivered & collected) my player to their Service depot near Heathrow.

When I picked it up it was still multi-region and had the DenonLink 3 upgrade so I could pass everything through the DL3 Cat 5 cable.

No more do I need a 3 pairs of analogue cables to listen to SACD!

Regards,
    -=Glyn=-