1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB : First Power Amp Suggestions ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Matt Horne, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ok...

Heres my current system :

Arcam DV88<br />Yamaha RXV795 Amp (DD/DTS)<br />Mission 77c1 + Mission M74 Floorstanders<br />Yamaha NC105 (I Think) Rears + small Yam Sub.

Basically I want to move towards a pre-power setup<br />(eventually I want to get a TAG Processor). So I thought the best place to start is with a Power amp to use with the Yamaha.

Has anyone got any good suggestions of Amps to look at. I have not really decided on a Price limit.. though 2000 is the very top I would pay.

Any advice would be helpful.. and I would like to use it for music as well as the DV88 does spin a good CD.

Cheers

Matt

2. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try the Linn AV5125, around 1700GBP. Very powerful, very musical.

Good hunting!

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Arcam DV88 and bought a Rotel RB993 to complement my Onkyo 787 receiver for the front and center channels, now the Onkyo is gone and I am the proud owner of a TAG AV32R plus another Rotel to complement the surround channels. The Rotel worked fine with the receiver, and works even better with the TAG...

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Has anyone tried the Rotel RMB 1066. Its the cheatest but has decent power once you bridge the channels.

So could I get a 6 channel amp, bridge it to 3 for the centre +rears (or fronts) and then get a more musical 2 channle amp for music ??

Or I am talking complete rubbish ?

Cheers

Matt

5. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

I don't want to sound like an "old Woman" giving <br />advice:but If I were you I would also factor in any AMp you buy to have compatibility with the<br />high resolution SACD and DVD Audio ie frequency<br />response up to 100kz!As far as I can see there are<br />very few manufacturer who do these Amps.Sony is one that does it.

You may find kicking youself in 6 months time<br />for not giving this a bit of thought!

Happy Hunting

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Matt,

I would also reccomend the Rotels for the AV32R. I use a 993 for the fronts and 2 981s for the sides and rears . Total cost was £1000. If you ever decided to upgrade you would be able to sell the Rotels easily. There are better amps of course but for the money the Rotels are great.

Rob.

8. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a listen to Rotel RMB 1095 or 1075. Excellent value. Slso, some threads here a couple of weeks ago discussed this issue, with reference to the Tag processor. Usual line: audition what you can afford, preferably 'blind'.

Happy shopping...

9. Dan_BlitzedS14

Dan_BlitzedS14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taking a different angle, my experience of this type of situation is that adding a power amp to a receiver like you are doesn't give much of an improvement considering what you are going to spend. A much better way (IMHO) would be to get the processor first and use the inputs on the Yammy and run the speakers from there for the time being. You'll see a much better sound this way due to the increase in information being processed and thus more detail is passed on to the power amps of your Yammy and then on to the speakers.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm with Dan on this one. Hold out for something special, above and beyind the great value Rotels.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, the Rotels, at least the 993 and the 1080 go up to 100khz, second, I got the amp to complement my receiver first, (much cheaper then to get the processor first), and the difference was at least as much as when I, later, got the processor.