Question WRT1900AC or Apple Extreme AC? Have both

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Carnagerover, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hi all,

I recently bought a WRT1900AC and after a few days I ran into a problem with my apple devices, browsing was really slow so I changed the wireless mode to Auto and this fixed the issue. Before I fixed the issue though I picked up a Apple Extreme AC with the logic that if anything can work well for a house with plenty of apple devices its an Apple Router.

Now I can't decide which to keep and which to take back? The Apple router has less range than the WRT1900AC but everything is currently working fine and now that everything is set up it is just ticking away.

The WRT1900AC has a much faster CPU and can work as a NAS, read and writes above 80MBps, I already have a NAS but still this is nice. It also has UPNP and the ability in the future to put OpenWRT on.

I used to be a bit of an enthusiast when it came to routers but as I have got older, I have less time to tinker, so I crave stability. Basically to cut a long story short the tech guy in me wants the WRT and the Family guy wants the Apple Router.

Not sure what to do?

2. Cosmic phil

Cosmic phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The wrt1900ac is a toy for us to play around with ,yes it's stable with linksys latest firmware but you're going to stick openwrt on it or kongs dd-wrt and tweak this and try that.
    The apple AirPort Extreme is just going to be a stable workhorse nice and reliable.
    I chose the wrt1900ac out of the two and was lucky enough to get it for £179 as there clearing house for the v2 version I've had it for about 5 days and there hasn't been a day when I haven't tweaked a setting.
    I can't help you with you're decision I think you should be happy with either of them for different reasons.

3. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I have decided to keep the WRT1900AC, does anyone know if you need to have a Genuis Bar appointment to take something back to Apple? I haven't taken anything back before?