Wrong Turn (2021) Movie Review & Comments

dts

Distinguished Member
And Mike P Nelson was a sound designer before he was a director. I couldn't understand how he botched that element!
Wow what a missed opportunity, just goes to show how much of a difference a decent sound mix makes the difference to the whole film experience.I kept thinking this whilst watching it i might of even enjoyed it more....keep up the great work by the way.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Trust me, you can never have too many hats.
Oh wait, I see.
Even so. I like hats.
Me too. But I am very careful to never wear more than four at a time. Beyond that lies madness (And neck injuries).

Fade In

Waaayyy too harsh a review yet again on here. I was pleasantly surprised by it. As long as you go into it with an open mind and aren't expecting just a re-hash of the original you might be too. Wasn't just a straightforward slasher, there were some scenes that definitely made me think more than I'd expect to in a film like this. Certainly wasn't boring and had some intense moments. I'm quite a big horror fan and this was certainly one of the better horror films of the last couple of years.

7/10

Ripley18711

Distinguished Member
Got to be honest I enjoyed it. There's a lot of, IMO, over exaggerated negativity towards it. As usual on IMDb there's an abundance of 1* star reviews which it certainly doesn't deserve. It's not perfect, Wrong Turn probably shouldn't have been the title and it is a little long. Those aside it's pretty nasty and gory which is what I look for in a horror. Plus it's well acted, made and I loved the ending.

Valen

Indeed he doesn't - after re-reading it, and seeing the above picture of the screenwriter, the reviewer's original comment is rendered even more absurd

I always reverse it to see if its offensive.. Like this...

'it’s scripted like an old black guy’s impression of what the youngs are like these days'.

Does it sound racist? Many would say it is. 😎

steve sph

Always makes me laugh when any film is reviewed on here, (either favourably or not so), and folks get irate at the reviewer's opinion without having actually seen the film themselves.
And then after seeing it themselves they get irate at anyone with a different opinion.
All art forms are subjective, and we don't all like the same things - it's not the most difficult concept to grasp.
As for sound engineers who think that makes them a director, my old man once said - 'son, never try to ride two horses with one arse...'

Evinger

Distinguished Member
As for sound engineers who think that makes them a director, my old man once said - 'son, never try to ride two horses with one arse...'

This is an absolute gem.
I found this quote as well in a reverse vein:-

James Maxton (22 June 1885 – 23 July 1946) a British left-wing politician, and leader of the Independent Labour Party, once said, "If you can't ride two horses at once, you should get out of the bloody circus".
1614335534143.png

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I always reverse it to see if its offensive.. Like this...

'it’s scripted like an old black guy’s impression of what the youngs are like these days'.

Does it sound racist? Many would say it is. 😎
I'm not sure how someone might conflate taking someone's racial background into account with 'being racist' - an institutional or personal abuse or discrimination based on a belief that one race is superior to another.

I'd say that a white guy writing crappy dialogue for a black character happens all the time and would receive the exact same criticism as I'm levelling as McElroy here: a POC writing crappy dialogue for all the characters - particularly with regard to racial dynamics.

My assumption that McElroy, as an African American, would handle issues of racism with greater insight is based on the fact that he is more likely to be personally familiar with systemic racism and therefore be in a better position to critique it, making his tone deaf approach to the character of Darius more surprising than if it have been written by a white screenwriter.

As ever, context is key.

(In other news - he also doesn't know how to write gay characters, but as he is not gay, that's much less surprising to me.)

Valen

I'm not sure how someone might conflate taking someone's racial background into account with 'being racist' - an institutional or personal abuse or discrimination based on a belief that one race is superior to another.

I'd say that a white guy writing crappy dialogue for a black character happens all the time and would receive the exact same criticism as I'm levelling as McElroy here: a POC writing crappy dialogue for all the characters - particularly with regard to racial dynamics.

My assumption that McElroy, as an African American, would handle issues of racism with greater insight is based on the fact that he is more likely to be personally familiar with systemic racism and therefore be in a better position to critique it, making his tone deaf approach to the character of Darius more surprising than if it have been written by a white screenwriter.

As ever, context is key.

(In other news - he also doesn't know how to write gay characters, but as he is not gay, that's much less surprising to me.)

Don't get me wrong, I try to be objective when it comes to these things.

I suppose 'generalising' based on a race may be iffy. I am quite sure an older black guy has very similar views on youth as an older white guy. (Or any other race for that matter)

'it’s scripted like some old guy’s impression of what the youngs are like these days' would have been more accurate.

But hey, just my opinion. :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom