Question Wrong resolution on SCART input - Toshiba TV

pleriche

Standard Member
Reaction score
My late mother-in-law's Toshiba 24W1633DB plays digital TV just fine but SCART input from different sources gives a picture it would seem displayed at the wrong resolution. The picture shows the menu screen from our Humax PVR. The top is cut off. Displaying TV or recorded videos from the PVR are similar but with a black bar at the bottom. Displayng the output from our old DVD/VCR is similar. At first sight it looks like it's failing to recognise the aspect ratio of the input, or maybe it's misinterpreting the VSync signal. There is nothing in the menus (including Advanced) which makes any difference.

I know SCART is an old standard. Are there known compatibility problems with it, or does it sound more like a fault with the TV? Maybe a dry joint on the VSync pin of the SCART socket?

IMG_4391a.jpg

Do you have the aspect ratio on the TV set to auto ? Have you tried manually selecting the correct mode if auto isn't getting it right ?

Also - check that Overscan isn't turned on (if the TV has this option), as this 'zooms in' the picture slightly.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts, but as I said, I've been through all the menus, and in terms of video, the only options are to do with brightness and colour balance etc - nothing in the least "technical".

Were the source devices previously connected to a 16:9 TV or 4:3? If the latter then you may need to change the ratio in the source device menu.

Were the source devices previously connected to a 16:9 TV or 4:3? If the latter then you may need to change the ratio in the source device menu.
Agree, check the Humax is set to 16x9 Widescreen.
EDIT
The Toshiba remote has an aspect ratio button 3rd up from bottom RHS

Last edited:
Thank you JayCee - that's sorted it. So simple. I naively thought everything would be in the on-screen menus.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom