wrong picture format, i'm stumped!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by markbigears, Dec 14, 2004.

1. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Plasma set to 16:9, sky box set to 16:9 RGB...... while watching BBC1 sports personality of the year I was getting black bars on the sides for the studio shots but when a graphic was cut up it was full screen. Looking at the news the heads of the presenters are long. Any idea? watching reality TV it looked 16:9...is there a broadcast problem at source? any help greatly appreciated.... watching analogue because of this!

2. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same happens on a lot of bbc sports broadcasts. Football supposedly in wide screen has black bars in 16:9, set sky box to 4:3 and the black bars go. Never noticed any stretching though.
    I know this isn't an answer but should put your mind at rest to the fact it's not your equipment

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's because Auntie broadcasts a lot of BBC Sport in 16:9 ratio but the picture is actually 14:9 or 4:3 - their signal is in 16:9 format and they put the black bands into the signal :thumbsdow

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The only time I have seen this is when the actual sports picture is from abroad e.g. World Cup / Olympics etc.

The BBC stuff in the studio etc is recorded in 16:9 and boradcast in 16:9, however the feed of the event itself is only in4:3, hence the black bars when its shown as the actual boradcast is 16:9 in total.

However I watched the sports personality of the year and it was all 16:9 from my Sky+ box and a Sony CRT TV...so its not an answer to your question.

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, you're right, in studio etc is usually fine - it's outside broadcasts that do this. BBC broadcast a 16:9 format signal with black bars. There's nothing wrong with you plasma mark!