1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wrong picture format, i'm stumped!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by markbigears, Dec 14, 2004.

1. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Plasma set to 16:9, sky box set to 16:9 RGB...... while watching BBC1 sports personality of the year I was getting black bars on the sides for the studio shots but when a graphic was cut up it was full screen. Looking at the news the heads of the presenters are long. Any idea? watching reality TV it looked 16:9...is there a broadcast problem at source? any help greatly appreciated.... watching analogue because of this!

2. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same happens on a lot of bbc sports broadcasts. Football supposedly in wide screen has black bars in 16:9, set sky box to 4:3 and the black bars go. Never noticed any stretching though.
    I know this isn't an answer but should put your mind at rest to the fact it's not your equipment

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's because Auntie broadcasts a lot of BBC Sport in 16:9 ratio but the picture is actually 14:9 or 4:3 - their signal is in 16:9 format and they put the black bands into the signal :thumbsdow

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    The only time I have seen this is when the actual sports picture is from abroad e.g. World Cup / Olympics etc.

The BBC stuff in the studio etc is recorded in 16:9 and boradcast in 16:9, however the feed of the event itself is only in4:3, hence the black bars when its shown as the actual boradcast is 16:9 in total.

However I watched the sports personality of the year and it was all 16:9 from my Sky+ box and a Sony CRT TV...so its not an answer to your question.

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, you're right, in studio etc is usually fine - it's outside broadcasts that do this. BBC broadcast a 16:9 format signal with black bars. There's nothing wrong with you plasma mark!