wrong choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dlemon, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello, just a quick post here, would anybody know what would be todays equivalent of the YAMAHA rvx1800, im getting nervous now as I have bought the ONKYO 609, on shop recomaditions, but before I open it (then cant take it back) can anyone put me out of my misery and doubts on this, have I made a boob, or can anyone give me some advise please.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    I believe the 609 is a couple levels below your current receiver so may well be a downgrade on sound quality. Did you listen to the onkyo? Yamaha and onkyo sound different so it may also not be to your taste. What speakers do you have?

3. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have KEF 3005SE speaker pack, and no I didnt hear the onkyo going, I just went on what the reviews said, and the sales guy, I thought it would have been good as all the reviews said (I know im daft as a brush for not listening), would you have any ideas on this, or just take it back and get something higher up the scale.
    Thanks

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,408
    I would at least try to listen to it I store to ensure you like how it sounds. Reviews should be used as a guide to narrow the option down before going for a demo.

5. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    This wasn't richer sounds by any chance? I'd take it back unopened and ask to listen to a demo one preferably with your speakers or ask if they are prepared for you to listen to the one you have at home and exchange it for a better model if you are not satisfied.

Never rely on What HiFi it's a guide only and often times not a particulary great one.

6. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks eaglemommin, yes it was r/s, but im taking it back and thinking of the denon 2312, Im thinking this would be a bigger jump up the scale, and on a par with old yamaha 1800, any thoughts

7. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    It would be better than the Onk but might be roughly on par with the 1800 but I'd advise listening to it with your speakers if at all possible to be sure. What about another Yamaha? The 2067 or 3067 would seem a potential good fit. The Denon 3312 would be a definite upgrade though. Actually any of those three would be an upgrade.