Wrong aspect ratio on ideal world,ideal craft.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by electro_man, Feb 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Having just bought a humax hdr1000 everything seems fine, however when watching ideal world and ideal craft the picture is 4:3 instead of 16:9. When I watch these channels on sky they are in the correct aspect ratio. Also when I watch the sister channels ideal extra and ideal craft extra on the humax hdr1000 they are displayed fine.Any thoughts?

2. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I should also note i have updated to the latest firmware and done a system rest.

3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,797
    Under picture & sound settings change Display Format to Anamorphic.
    I don't suppose your Sky box was connected by scart was it?

4. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for quick reply. I have done as you have suggested and the picture is fine!!! I don't understand why auto picture doesn't work. I have a sky hd box which is connected by hdmi and it can work out the correct aspect ratio. Thanks for your help.

5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,797
    For whatever reason those two channels are actually being broadcast in 4:3 over Freesat.

6. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok thanks for your help gonzo, not a major problem I don't watch those channels that often.

7. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Then surely displaying them in 16x9 makes everyone look fat?:) and the OP's box was displaying them correctly?

8. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I did a comparison between my sky hd box and the humax and the picture is identical. Not sure what anamorphic does, but it fixed my problem with ideal world.

9. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    No they are 16:9 broadcasts that show correctly on both my Sky HD+ box and my generic FTA boxes. It would appear that they are incorrectly flagged as 4:3 on the freesat data.

10. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Which raises the question as to where the aspect ratio data comes from? Is it just a case of how many 'pixels' are in a 'line'? freesat don't actually transmit anything other than the EPG so why should only freesat boxes do it?. Unless it's co-incidence, then surely it must be the way that the freesat boxes interpret the transmitted signal.

11. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +949
    It's embedded as part of the DVB data stream... it must be a Broadcaster error? Or perhaps how the receiver is interpreting the data?

My Foxsat HDR has 'wide' options of auto/4:3 pillarbox/14:9 pillarbox/16:9 centre cutout/anamorphic which defines how it handles 4:3 pictures... it goes to 16:9 on auto on the two 4:3 channels. Only way to get it wrong is via choosing one of the 'pillarbox' modes!

However my Panasonic TV's freesat tuner sticks to 4:3 pictures in Auto mode.

Interestingly on Freeview (LCN 22) Ideal World is correct on the same TV - i.e. 16:9.

About-Us - IdealWorld It may be worth telling them something is not right???

12. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    So why do the other boxes get it right then?

13. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +949
    They do and don't. A 4:3 signalled broadcast should ideally be handled according to the user's preference on a widescreen 16:9 set... i.e as per my Humax Foxsat HDR I can choose one of 5 options, including stretchy-vision or even 4:3 pillarboxed in the screen.

AUTO on many devices will look at the black-level bands and zoom/stretch the picture to 'fill the glass' with a picture that is not black.

I can also manually do the same with my TV for that channel, stretching it to 16:9 etc.,. via its' aspect ratio button.

BUT the key here is that the broadcast aspect ratio of the channel is 16:9 - albeit as an anamorphic 4:3 transmission the same as all other SD channels transmitted on the digital TV platforms. Ideal World are transmitting 'this is 4:3' and that is an error on the DSat platform that is NOT repeated on Freeview... an error than can be rectified by them and/or their satellite C&M service provider.

You may have spotted that you don't get the option to stretch HD transmissions of 4:3 material as they are transmitted as 4:3 pillar boxes within a 16:9 frame. {There being no 4:3 option in HD broadcasts, by design.}