Writing to xD card in TIFF ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by HardBoiledEgg, Aug 23, 2004.

1. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Me again with another silly question!

I suppose this message is specifically aimed at fellow Olympus C-765 users :

Does it takes an absolute AAGGGE to write a shot to the xD card when you are in TIFF mode? I tried to take some pics using TIFF the other day as I was seeing a lot of pixelation in some images where I used SHQ, but it took a long time ( 25/30 seconds or more) to write to the card so any subsequent shots were lost :confused: :mad:

Does your C-765 do this also?

Also, what is the 'enlarge mode' all about? (3200x2400)

TIA

Nicola

2. s2oldskool

s2oldskool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It takes longer to write a TIFF image to memory than a JPG partly because the space a TIFF takes up is about 5 times larger than the equivalent JPG, and to some extent because the camera is optimised for saving JPG images. I'd only consider using TIFF for printing images at 8 x 10 or larger, otherwise its pretty much a waste of space.

The 3200 x 2400 "enlarged" mode basically does what it says on the tin - takes a normal 4 megapixel image and enlarges it by a factor of about 1.5 to make a bigger output image. Not sure why anyone would want to do that, the camera software is interpolating (ie. guessing) the new pixels which didn't exist in the original image and so will introduce artifacts of the same type as when using the digital zoom.