Writing to Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tom3, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tom3

tom3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Is there an address other than the PO Box in Livingston with which to write to Sky? After a shocking sequence of events this evening, speaking to a monkey on the phone won't cut it but I don't really fancy the PO Box address as anything useful.

I'd rather not go in to the contents of the letter just yet, I'll wait for a response.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

2. smartn

smartn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    After spending 28 minutes on the phone with them tonight re Sky trying to charge me for a month before I even had Sky I decided to cancel due to poor customer service within my cooloff period (it's bad enough them making a mistake but shocking it should take me as a customer 28 minutes on the phone to convince them when they knew the installation date). I finally spoke to a supervisor who suggested that if I wanted to cancel email was the best way. Try skydigital@bskyb.com.

Good luck.

3. tom3

tom3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll fire something off to that address.

4. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel somebody should put the other view.....

I've been a Sky subscriber for many years and I've always found there customer service to be one of the best I've come across. Whenever I have had technical issue I've always found the people on the end of the phone helpful, practical and knowledge able. This is very much a rare occurence these days, see my comment on Currys elsewhere in this forum!

I have no connection with Sky, I'm just that rare thing, a happy customer. :clap:

I will be a very early adopter of SKY+HD :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I totally agree, only issue i have was getting them to swap my grundid box for a panny 4 years ago! Got it in the end though

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I think your attitude comes across on the phone and gets "reflected back". If you are in a bad mood, DON'T phone. Wait till you've calmed down. When I had a TV shop I used to get calls from irate customers and the problem usually wasn't my fault. But invariably they would phone me in a right old temper. Even if they were in a rational mood, they would phone on an impulse without having the necessary information to hand. Many of them didn't even know the make and model number of their own TV set! Which indicates they hadn't even looked at the front page of the User Manual.

So, before you phone Sky, make a list of the facts, with make, model number, serial number of the Digibox. Also your viewing card number and a list of all previous phone calls and letters (if any) with dates and names.

When you speak to someone, always write down their name, the time and the date, in a diary. This will give you the "upper hand" if it comes to blows! and BE NICE to them. You gain nothing by being nasty and they'll be nasty back.

If you are intent on cancelling, type your letter (don't hand-write) and post it by Recorded Delivery to the PO Box address.

7. smartn

smartn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sam,

Thanks for the advice however in my case I had all the facts in front of me including an itemised invoice detailing bill dates before I even had a box installed. Why should I have to spend 28 minutes on the phone to correct such an obvious error? Just because you have experienced good service from Sky doesn't mean everyone does!

Regards,

Nigel

8. tom3

tom3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should point out that I am not wanting to cancel, I merely have a complaint to make against the engineer who installed my dish the first time round. I realise they're sub-contractors too.

9. tom3

tom3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ever got a response from that email address? If so, how long did it take?

10. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left Sky a couple of years ago purely because of poor customer service - used Homechoice since, which has it's own occasional issues for TV but at least their CS has been good.

The details: I was going overseas for a year, asked them to cancel my service after the initial year tie-in (which happened after I'd left). This was by letter to the PO box number. Sadly I didn't keep a copy. Followed this up with a phone call and was told my direct debit would automatically cancel after the year was up. Initially I had planned to resume the service when I came back from abroad.

Came back, they had still charged me all that time I was away, (9 months). Worse, when I complained they said they had no record of my calls or letter and basically claimed that I hadn't sent the letter - "If you had sent it we would have a copy on file". Even their managers stated the same line. I don't like being called a liar, so I wrote another letter (saved a copy this time...) saying that I was cancelling the service, and that I was looking at legal action to claim back the 9 months subscriptions.

Surpise, surprise, a couple of weeks later I got a very apologetic call saying they had found my original letter somehow and wanted to refund me the money and offer me a good deal on a new subscription. I'm not very forgiving of this sort of thing so I told them it was too little too late.

With the advent of HD I may end up with Sky again if they are the only ones who provide this service but it won't be because they're my favourite option.

Just my personal experience - I'm sure there's lots of happy customers out there too.

11. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I've found Sky hit and miss over the years. I started out with a Pace box in 1992 and could not fault them until I changed to digital in 2000. Ever since then, only 4 occassions by phone, they have been next to useless, but on the email side they have been very good and quite quick.

I sent an email just over a year ago about ending my contract and was sent an email telling me I could keep the box and a listing of all the stations I would get after the contract ended.

Luckily my situation changed and I was able to keep Sky, but I think if I had had a bad rep on the phone, or a bog standard company email reply I would have ditched it there and then instead of waiting to see how I stood with everything else, and I think it was the good PR that made me give them that little bit longer. No rudeness=No knee jerk reaction from me.

My reply, if I remember, was around 3-4 days.

12. tom3

tom3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I sent a (fairly lengthy) complaint via email on Monday and haven't had a reply yet...
    :thumbsdow

13. smartn

smartn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    TOM3 - I got fed up waiting for a reply to the email I sent so I rang them today. Had a much more positive conversation with someone in cancellations who understood my reason for complaint and transferred me to customer services. The customer servies rep was very friendly and we came to an agreement whereby they would give me two months free so I didn't cancel. What a difference to the conversation I had on Monday. I think this shows that there are good people in Sky if you can get to speak to them!

14. tom3

tom3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, I'll give them a call.